Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #1

I have two weeks vacation at the end of July first part of August. We are trying to decide where we should go. We live in California near Palm Springs and I dont want to drive more than a couple days to get somewhere. Any sugestions would be helpful and if anyone knows of any campground resorts to stay at, that is appreciated also. I would like to go somewhere where there would be plenty of thing to do to keep me, DW and the kids happy.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #2

I have two weeks vacation at the end of July first part of August. We are trying to decide where we should go. We live in California near Palm Springs and I dont want to drive more than a couple days to get somewhere. Any sugestions would be helpful and if anyone knows of any campground resorts to stay at, that is appreciated also. I would like to go somewhere where there would be plenty of thing to do to keep me, DW and the kids happy.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #3

There seems to be a lot to do in Arizona. Meteor Crater, petrified forest, grand canyon, Sedona, mountain drives. We're going there in October 07 after the balloon festival in Albuquerque. It will be our first time in the southwest.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 AM   #4

When we lived in Diamond Bar, we visited Calaveras Big Trees, on California route 4 East of Angel Camp regularly. The giant sequoias take your breath away. There are lots of hiking trails to the river and through the groves for the kids and great nearby attractions such as Arnold and Columbia, the one-time capital and great gold town. Big Trees has campsites that snuggle among the tall sugar pines. Now that we live in Colorado we still try to get to big Trees periodically, as we did for a week just last summer.

Good luck

Gus Weber
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #5

It depends on what you want to do. Oregon is 1-2 days from you and has many things to see and do. Crater Lake is one of them. There is also the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and Britt Festival in Jacksonville. These are southern OR locations. We have 2 state parks here, Valley of the Rogue (on Rogue River) and Joseph Stewart (on Lost Creek Lake). Best location of all in the state is the coast where you can take your pick of state parks and activities.

2001 Ford F250 Diesel
RoyandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I agree with Roy & Nancy. I would head to Oregon. You can do the Crater Lake thing - including traveling towards Medford area to see the Ice Tubes and other stuff in that area.You can also head to their coastline. The Oregon coast is so very different from the Ca coast. There is the Oregon Dunes Natl Park if you are into dirt bike type stuff too. THe Valley of the Rogue park is great. It also has a rest stop at the same spot if you want to take a break while traveling on I5. If you make it to the coast than I would reccomend the Harbor Vista RV park in Florence. Each site is pretty secluded from the other and it is very close to the ocean. I will try to attach a link to it below.I will tell you that there are so many things to see in the area ..and it will be comfortable weather- wise also
HAve a great vacation - where ever you go!

Harbor Vista
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ice Tubes?? Are you talking about Oregon Caves National Monument??
Edit: found this;;;
Bend, Oregon - Arnold Ice Caves

South of Bend, in the Oregon high desert, you will find the Arnold Ice Caves. These caves produce ice in vast quantities, and supplied the town with ice before electricity. At one time the powers that be built stairs into the cave, and the ice took over and covered the stairs. A must to see.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #8

We drove up the CA and OR coast last summer and there are a few very memorable spots. The redwoods are really beautiful and interesting.
We also, enjoyed Gold Beach, where we spent a day on the Rogue River. We recommend Jerry's Rogue Jets. We took the half way tour where you go half way up the river, have lunch, and then return. Depending on how old your kids are, you might enjoy the full river tour which gets into more rapids. However, we did a lot of rapids and they were great fun.

Here is a website for the area:
www.goldbeach.org.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #9

We stayed at Needles on our way home on our big trip this year and really liked it (if you like desert). Close to Lake Havasu to the south and Las Vegas/Hoover Dam to the north for day trips.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote