Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Vacuum for an RV

Any suggestions out there for a vacuum cleaner with a revolving brush for carpet and the abilty to shut off the brush and have good suction for bare floors like tile? Lightweight? Doesn't take up much room? Do you prefer electric or rechargable battery?
Hossandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossandjo View Post
Any suggestions out there for a vacuum cleaner with a revolving brush for carpet and the abilty to shut off the brush and have good suction for bare floors like tile? Lightweight? Doesn't take up much room? Do you prefer electric or rechargable battery?
Have you tried an Internet search for a "RV vacuum cleaner"?

Internet SEARCH is a handy and effective tool - and THEN, when you find something promising, you can ask a more specific question as to whether any have direct experience with what you have found...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A lot of us have the Dirt Devil central vac system. You can purchase it from RVUpgrades, a site sponsor. Much easier to store attachments in a drawer than to try to find a spot for an entire stick unit. If you're able to mount it in an outside bay (rather than under an inside cabinet like ours is), there's much less noise inside your rv.

However, if you're looking for a stick cleaner, we had a Shark where I worked. It had good suction, the brush worked great on the carpet yet didn't scuff the vinyl floor in the kitchen & it could be taken apart for use as a hand vac.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use and like the Shark also

Mike
Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
paz

We have an Oreck. We bought it because of Oreck's good reputation and because of the fact it only weighs 8 pounds. You can't shut off the brush, but the motor has 2 speeds - high for carpets and low for bare floors so you don't scatter the dirt. The Oreck also comes with a small, efficient canister vacuum to get to hard-to-reach corners, storage bays, steps, and that you could also use for bare floors.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
After trying others without much success, we now use a Eureka Cordless Pickup, Model 96D rechargeable. It does have a carpet brush which can be turned off for bare floors. It REALLY does a good job!

Take a look here:

Quick Up Lightweight Vacuums

Good luck!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have used the oreck, and other name brands for years
our built in dirt devils work great
except the rug thingy, its just to narrow for good cleaning
so we have a small rug doctor floor model with a carpet brush, no attachments , just rug vacumming. it breaks down to a small size. under 25 at wally world , no frills just a suckasaurus
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have tried three different vacs including a Eureka Whirlwind and a Shark. None of them worked very well in our opinion.
A while back I took the Eureka into a vacuum sales and repair shop and told him I wanted something a lot better and still small since it was for a motor home. He tested the suction and the airflow on the Eureka (said the airflow is more important than the suction) and came up with a Super Fastvac 500 Vacuum made by Schneider Industries in California. It has 85 inches of water lift and 115 cubic feet of airflow. That was over twice what the Eureka had and over three times what the Shark had. It's pricey (list is $199) I paid about $130 for it - but it does a heck of a job. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38 and unlike the one that came with the Shark, it is hard to slow down.
It's small: Weight = 4.5 pounds, Dimensions =7”x12.5”x4.5” but powerful and comes with the usual attachments plus attachments for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. Those work great on the motor home dash.
Vacuum shops carry them but I haven't seen them at the mass merchandisers like Target or Walmart.
The web site is HERE if you are interested.

I posted this a while back and two people bought one from the web site for less than a hundred dollars. I don't know if that was a special sale or not.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #9

I have been vacuuming floors etc for longer than I'd like to admit and have tried almost every brand and model including one that sucked the dirt into a water bowl that you then had to get rid of somehow. I have never had a vacuum better than this one. I have an older model that I got just after they came out (approx 5 years old) and love it. Pricey but worth it. No bags either.
There are lots of other places to buy, got mine at a large electronics store (BB), but this site shows all the models.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I agree with Mandy's Man on choosing a Dyson, but my favorite for an RV is the DC24 All Floors ball model. It is something of a "mini-dyson" much smaller than the big ones (slightly smaller cost too). It takes up much less storage room, and still does a super job on both carpet and hard floors ...just push a button to turn off the beater/roller. We have an Maxum RV2000 (aka Dirt Devil) central vac, and got a rug rat for it, but it just didn't do a good job over the long haul.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #11

We also have a Dyson. We have one of the Dirt Devil's installed as well, but only use the kick panel in the kitchen for quick sweeps...otherwise the Dyson comes out of the clothes closet.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #12

I like our Dirt Devil central vacuum. It was installed at the factory, but looks like it would be easy to install if I didn't have it.

It's a nice space saver and has good suction. Most of MH floor is tile and the furniture is ultraleather. It does a good job on the carpet in the bedroom.

I have a 3 and 6 year old, so they make plenty of messes.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #13

Clay L; I get a "page not found" when I click your link to that sweeper. Your description is interesting, can you fix your link?

We use a Dirt Devil cannister W/ rug attachment that shuts off when desired. It is very powerful and cleans the carpeting very well. The attachments and hose allow us to clean about every place that is lower than 6' high. We may either use the bare floor attachment or simply turn off the rug beater (w/height adjustment) and sweep the tiled kitchen floor that way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #14

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure we'll find a good one from the bunch.
Hossandjo is offline   Reply With Quote