Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Vent trust issues

I have a Fantastik vent fan with rain sensor. Seems to work OK when I've used it.

Forecast tomorrow is 85 degrees with 40% chance of thunderstorms.

Do you trust your vent to be open while you are away for the day?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

No, and they drive me crazy going up and down in light rain.

All a bit passe now that maxxFans are available
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

We have three of them and all three have covers. No need to worry about the weather.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We have three of them and all three have covers. No need to worry about the weather.
X2.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Both Fantastic Fan and Maxxair make covers specifically for the Fantastic Fan. Put one of those on and no rain worries.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The rain sensors work fine as far as protecting the interior of the RV - no worries about leaving the vents open while you are away. But the are aggravating to the people inside in light rain or even morning or evening dew - they close unexpectedly or open & close multiple times as a slight dampness is detected, followed shortly by a re-open cycle as the dampness dries off the sensor..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

I wasn't asking if I should install covers or if you had covers. That kinda defeats the purpose of this expensive gadget, doesn't it? On a past RVs I had the covers and I found they restricted air flow too much.

I've found part of the opening and closing and fan speed is also temp regulation. On some damp mornings, I've been unsure if it's closing on temperature or if it's on dampness/wetness.

Was asking people with the model with the rain sensor if they trusted them enough to leave them open and unattended for the day with a chance of rain.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I wasn't asking if I should install covers or if you had covers. That kinda defeats the purpose of this expensive gadget, doesn't it?...
All right, you didn't ask. Anything mechanical can and will break at some point. There is also the question of UV damage to the exposed lid. At some point, that lid will likely crack and leak. That's why we have covers.

Folks here offer advice based on their experience. Anyone is free to take it or leave it.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Both of the Fantastics are rain sensetive. Tomorrow I expect delivery of two Almond colored Maxxair11 vents covers. I trust nothing mechanical in the long term.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

I have always has good air flow with vent covers. Installed on 1st rig after seeing just enough of vent covers by the wayside and those rigs that passed by with only a remnant showing.

I have an awning that is only out when I need it. Always in when I leave camp and when we retire for the day. The wind sensor has taught me to go beyond "trust but verify".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

I've got a cover over my main vent and no cover over my bathroom vent. If I need that much ventilation when I'm not in the trailer I open the bathroom vent but close the shower curtain- any water that splashes in goes down the shower drain.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

I would not trust vents,awnings or any thing else than can blow off or leak if calling for rain when I'm not there.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #13

Yup Vent covers are good insurance against the sensor going bad while your away, but all things being equal, the simplest answer is the best....shut the vents and roll up the awning when you're away from the rig.
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent