RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Angry [vent] Why are RV interiors so ugly? Can I buy an empty one?

I'm looking at RVs and the interiors are just so... ugly usually. Like everything seems to be made of flimsy plastic and painted the most ridiculous color schemes, and these convertible "table" "bed" things that are not comfortable to sit on or to sleep on, yet are omnipresent, and often covered in absurd zig-zag fabrics.

I spent a bunch of time working on my TT to make it more home-like, but now I'm wanting to switch to something more maneuverable for boondocking, and the idea of having to disassemble everything again and rebuild again in a new home is a bit disheartening.

Is it possible to get a motorhome that is basically empty with just electric, water and propane lines and then build the rest myself? More than half the work on my TT was in demolishing the ugly stuff...

It's making me think that maybe a schoolbus might even be a better option because at least it won't be built in such a way that I need to take a crowbar to the shower walls because the access "path" is so snaky and narrow between the walls that only a child's arm could fit there. And I am a tiny woman.

It's like these things are not designed to ever be changed, but I am not going to live in a home with a queen bed that is in the middle of the darn room with barely a foot of "space" on either side! It makes no sense, so in my TT I ripped out all the cabinets on one side of the bed and moved the bed frame over to the side so I would have a reasonable amount of space to get dressed in. It looks like a minor move, but it took me a full weekend to get those darn cabinets out of the wall, and it left ugly holes where the screws were. But at least now I can put my pants on...

Anyway, who is in charge of designing the aesthetics of these things? Do they think it actually looks good? Do you think these actually look good? Maybe I am in the minority and just don't know that other people like the look of white&gold "crackle paint" mixed with "wood" panels that are printed stickers that look like wood grain, and "gold" plastic handles...

nicole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

I would reach out to headquarters for an RV you like in general, and see if they could build basic frame, and go from there.

FTer&nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #3

From other posts I believe you're looking for a motorhome in the $40,000 range so you're probably looking at older, dated ones. Also, the size might have something to do with things you don't like.

No, I don't believe you can buy a new motorhome without anything in it. Sounds like you're in for another remodeling job.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

I'm not trying to be mean, but from this and your other posts it seems as if you have a lot of uncertainties. You want a rig that will go anywhere, you want to park in big cities but you don't know what size rv to buy. And now you don't like the design of the rv's so you want to build your own. I'm thinking you really need to do some serious thinking about what's realistic. Also I hate to say it but with a $40,000 budget, not knowing what you want? Building an rv out of a school bus? Going out in the wild where nobody has gone before? I think you need to be more realistic about the rv world. I wish you luck!
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not look into purchasing a used shuttle bus, built on the Ford E450 chassis, they are relatively easy to find. You could gut it and start from a shell.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/ford-shuttle-bus
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

I would suggest a GMC RV circa late 1970s. Do a live axle conversion on the tag axle, and gut and redo the interior. You could easily have a great coach for around $40,000 as I see these things used for around $5000 in need of some TLC. With the rear axle conversion it would be a great vehicle to take for light off road use, and also be small enough to travel wherever you want. I also love the look of these old coaches and have seen several completely restored even better than the originals.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

A GMC is not going where she says she's going.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe a Winnebago. Gas or diesel, slides or no slides appear to be available. You can even go 100% electric.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/sp...hells/overview
Old 11-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good idea, start with the old school bus. All you have to do is rip the seats out and you have an empty motorhome to decorate whatever way you wish. When you're finished post some photos of it so we can see what good taste you have. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

I had thought about buying a used trailer with no water damage and gutting it. Take some measurements and go to IKEA....
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I'm not trying to be mean, but from this and your other posts it seems as if you have a lot of uncertainties. You want a rig that will go anywhere, you want to park in big cities but you don't know what size rv to buy. And now you don't like the design of the rv's so you want to build your own. I'm thinking you really need to do some serious thinking about what's realistic. Also I hate to say it but with a $40,000 budget, not knowing what you want? Building an rv out of a school bus? Going out in the wild where nobody has gone before? I think you need to be more realistic about the rv world. I wish you luck!
Yes, I do have a lot of uncertainties. That's why I'm posting online getting info and educating myself by asking questions from other folks with much more experience before I go spend a bunch of money on something that's not really suitable.

You seem a bit snarky in your post, but that's fine. I *am* young, dumb, and inexperienced. I've spent multiple years living in a TT, but with minimal travel, and that's about to change. And I do want a lot of flexibility, potentially more than is realistic. So I greatly appreciate your posting a reply telling me that I ought to keep thinking about this. Thank you.

While I do want go "out in the wild where nobody has gone before", NASA hasn't gotten back to me on my astronaut job application yet, so I'm trying to work out this full-time RV thing as a backup plan.

Truly though, I don't want to be where no one else has ever been because Antarctica is way too cold. I just want to be able to go out into rural areas like Wyoming and Alaska and feel confident that I will not get stuck a hundred miles from help without sufficient supplies to stay alive and healthy until I can solve the problem or get assistance. But on the other hand, I kinda do like to see my family sometimes, and I want to be able to visit them. That's part of the appeal of RVing for me: to not be tied down to one place and be able to enjoy nature while occasionally stopping to see people I care about.

Can you please elaborate on how my budget reflects on my uncertainty? Am I supposed to have more or less money available before having a solid plan? I am only posting budget info so I don't get any more suggestions about those amazing Unimogs.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From other posts I believe you're looking for a motorhome in the $40,000 range so you're probably looking at older, dated ones. Also, the size might have something to do with things you don't like.

No, I don't believe you can buy a new motorhome without anything in it. Sounds like you're in for another remodeling job.
Unfortunately I think that is the case. Time to break out the crowbar again...
Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Why not look into purchasing a used shuttle bus, built on the Ford E450 chassis, they are relatively easy to find. You could gut it and start from a shell.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/ford-shuttle-bus
Thank you for this suggestion. It looks to be a much more manageable size than a regular school bus. I'm hesitant about converting a bus into an RV, but maybe it is do-able. I need to learn more about what is already available and what I can do myself and how much time and effort that will take. I really like the amount of sunlight in bus conversions, and I love building projects, but I want to be sure I'm not getting myself into a project that is bigger than what I can handle.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
A GMC is not going where she says she's going.
but a Ford would sorry couldn't resist

Tags
interior, vent