RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Verizon cell coverage for flip phones in Alaska

Have any of you wanderers traveled to Alaska with flip phones rather than smart phones? If so, will you kindly share your experience?

I'd be interested to know what kind of service you had both in the interior (from Fairbanks south to Seward) and the Inside Passage.

I did look at the coverage map, and I do intend to stop by the local Verizon store, but I'd prefer hearing the voices of experience rather than the voice of a staff member trying to sell me something I don't want and may not need.

Thank you, all, for whatever info you can provide!

Mary

www.reflectionsaroundthecampfire.blogspot.com
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #2

We just got home from Alaska, and I too am the proud owner of an old Verizon flip phone, it worked just fine when we were there. I did not even turn in on in Canada, and I didn't try it in Hyder, since there isn't much Alaska there, worked fine in Skagway, Seward, Anchorage, Fairbanks etc. Wife has a smart phone, but not international plan, when she used it in Canada on the rare occasion, got dinged $5 for 24 hour period, probably still cheaper than changing plan. Understand there will be places where you won't have cell service, by the same token, my flip had just as good a service as her smart phone.

Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That news is so much better than what I expected to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond, Ted. For both business and family reasons we'll need access to cell service when we're up there later this year - at least occasionally - and I had visions of being forced to upgrade to get it. You've put my mind at ease.

I hope you and your wife had a wonderful adventure in Alaska!

Mary
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #4

As stated, you don't want to use the phone in Canada/Yukon because of the charges unless you get a special plan. You'll get service in the big cities of Fairbanks and Anchorage, Homer and Seward but driving between the cities may not. One year we did the Inside Passage but I don't recall using the phone or even trying. We're not attached to the phone like many. We didn't have a smartphone at the time just the flip phone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks so much for the additional information. I'm feeling more and more confident that we'll have cell service often enough to feel comfortable as we travel throughout the state. The kids are young adults and mostly independent at this point, but just knowing they'll be able to reach us in the event of a family or business emergency makes me feel a LOT better.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply - thank you!

Mary
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

Also be aware that many times a ďtextĒ will get through when there isnít enough signal for a voice call. Even flip phones can text....used one up until a few months ago. The only thing is, ask people who text you not to use emojis (the little smiley faces, etc) as these are not readable on many flip phones, and just show as some weird letters/numbers.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a good point. Thank you for pointing it out. I should have thought of it (but didn't) since we have the same situation where we live.

Thanks for replying to my question - I appreciate all the help!

Mary
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mary.....that flip phone may be very valuable when you return from Alaska. It could end up in a museum as the last flip phone ever used in the Alaska wilderness!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes! And Alan and I will be in the dinosaur exhibit in the next room over!

Have a great day, Don!

Mary

Tags
alaska, cover, phone, verizon