Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Verizon UNLIMITED Data Plan

Just switched to an UNLIMITED data plan. Now I don't have to deal with campgrounds that give you mediocre, at best, WiFi. I am free of them! YAAAAAA!!!!
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Cost?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

https://www.verizonwireless.com/
Old 02-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
Just switched to an UNLIMITED data plan. Now I don't have to deal with campgrounds that give you mediocre, at best, WiFi. I am free of them! YAAAAAA!!!!
I thought about switching from Cricket to Verizon BUT their "unlimited" data plan only allows for 10GB of data use with a hotspot device. I'm currently with Cricket, which is owned by AT&T and for $60 a month, I get 12.5GB of data via my smartphone hotspot.
OldHiker, what device are you planning to use to actually be able to use the "unlimited" data? I'd be willing to spend an additional $20-$25 a month for "unlimited" data if I could actually use it.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

Switching from my 24gb plan to UNLIMITED will save me about $40 per month! I have a usb modem and a smart phone on my plan.

I was with a friend 2 nights ago, he's using Metro PC. We did speed tests and mine was about 4 times the speed of his.

Go to Verizon's website.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

THANKS OldHiker for the update! I have a 4Glite Straight Talk modem that uses Verizon network. I'm now wondering if I can get a different sim card and use this modem or would I need to purchase another modem. What I've found over the past few years, I use between 12GB to 16GB a month. With Cricket going to 12.5GB then throttling back the speed, it's a pain but still doable. My choice is to use my smartphone as a hotspot but there are times when 4Glite modem is a better choice.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Years ago I purchased a USB modem from Verizon and plug it into a Cradlepoint router. I don't like using my phone as a hot spot and it is easy for me to have access to my printer that uses the router. Printer and router are in the back closet, out of sight.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

Here is an excellent comparison of the big 4 "unlimited" plans. Unlimited plans comparison: Verizon vs. AT&T vs. Sprint vs. T-Mobile - Business Insider . Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #9

Good info. Thanks.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
I thought about switching from Cricket to Verizon BUT their "unlimited" data plan only allows for 10GB of data use with a hotspot device. I'm currently with Cricket, which is owned by AT&T and for $60 a month, I get 12.5GB of data via my smartphone hotspot.
OldHiker, what device are you planning to use to actually be able to use the "unlimited" data? I'd be willing to spend an additional $20-$25 a month for "unlimited" data if I could actually use it.
Another way around the hotspot limit is to stream the desired video feed to your iPhone, but then share it via AirPlay onto an Apple TV connected via HDMI to your HD TV. No hotspot necessary, the carrier cannot distinguish the feed from normal phone streaming, as long as hotspot is turned off of course. This only works for iPhone / iPad however, not sure if there is an Android analog.

I haven't had the incentive to do this until now, thanks Verizon, it's about time!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
Another way around the hotspot limit is to stream the desired video feed to your iPhone, but then share it via AirPlay onto an Apple TV connected via HDMI to your HD TV. No hotspot necessary, the carrier cannot distinguish the feed from normal phone streaming, as long as hotspot is turned off of course. This only works for iPhone / iPad however, not sure if there is an Android analog.

I haven't had the incentive to do this until now, thanks Verizon, it's about time!
John/Kathy............Oh, my! I'm not sure I even understand what you've written and I know, with my limited knowledge, there is absolutely NO WAY I could ever pull that off without suffering from a massive brain failure. It's nice to know that some people "get it", I just don't seem to be one of them.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
You can do the same thing using Chromecast which will work with Android based phones as well as iPhones. Chromecast dongle cheap and plugs into TV HDMI port. This is what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
You can do the same thing using Chromecast which will work with Android based phones as well as iPhones. Chromecast dongle cheap and plugs into TV HDMI port. This is what I use.
Good to hear there is a similar solution for Android - competition is what drives progress! Also, this will cause hotspot limits to disappear eventually, just like the data limits are now dissolving.

Tizzyfit, it really isn't that complicated, you just need one additional appliance to physically connect to your TV to receive and translate the video transmitted from your phone. For Apple fans, this has traditionally been an Apple TV, and for Android, sounds like Chromecast has solutions for both. In a few short years, these interface appliances will also disappear, as TV's begin to incorporate these same features.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #14

Many Android phones will also cast to the Roku streaming device. My Moto doesn't but most higher end phones will. If it is something you are interested in just Google "cast android to roku". BTW, I think the new Roku Streaming Stick is about $50. Chromecast is $35. With Chromecast, your app needs to support it. Some like YouTube and Netflix do, but Google "chromecase android apps" for a complete list.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon