Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Is that the Lenore Ness Monster I see?
Hmmmm

What happened to the picture I posted?
It's turned into one of those itty bitty Pretend Picture Things...
Did I get busted by the Copyright Cops?
It's not easy, living a life of crime...

But no matter!
To answer your question, Dunner, The Lenore Ness Monster moved away following the events described in the following newsreel.
I love this clip- it reminds me of the "'speriments" we used to do in our basement when our folks were at work.
On a smaller scale, of course

Be sure to turn the sound up when you watch this- the narration is great!

disposal of sodium - YouTube

Francesca

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #44

I'm a retired CWA member.
They did that to celebrate my BD. I even have a St. Patty's day hat.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #45

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hmmmm

What happened to the picture I posted?
It's turned into one of those itty bitty Pretend Picture Things...
Did I get busted by the Copyright Cops?
It's not easy, living a life of crime...

But no matter!
To answer your question, Dunner, The Lenore Ness Monster moved away following the events described in the following newsreel.
I love this clip- it reminds me of the "'speriments" we used to do in our basement when our folks were at work.
On a smaller scale, of course

Be sure to turn the sound up when you watch this- the narration is great!

disposal of sodium - YouTube

Francesca
They couldn't find a carrier to accept it? How did they get it in the first place? I suspect it just wasn't cost effective enough to be worth the bother or someone was too lazy to be bothered. I wonder why the lake was alkaline and devoid of life?

Curiously enough, water is an acceptable way to dispose of small quantities of sodium. When I worked for an electric utility, we had to break burned out sodium vapor lamps in a buket of water so the sodium would oxidize, then the remains went to a landfill and the water went down the drain to the sewage processing plant. That was per EPA regs.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I knew there was a reason why I fish from a boat. If I had a rattler land on my lap I,d be doing some serious water walking. Biiggg stepps!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
They couldn't find a carrier to accept it? How did they get it in the first place? I suspect it just wasn't cost effective enough to be worth the bother or someone was too lazy to be bothered. I wonder why the lake was alkaline and devoid of life?

Curiously enough, water is an acceptable way to dispose of small quantities of sodium. When I worked for an electric utility, we had to break burned out sodium vapor lamps in a buket of water so the sodium would oxidize, then the remains went to a landfill and the water went down the drain to the sewage processing plant. That was per EPA regs.
How interesting!
Really the same thing, only on a smaller scale...
That dump at Lake Lenore must've been spectacular to see!
There weren't any fish in it at that time.
Lenore and the other Lakes in that chain are naturally alkaline, and devoid of native fish populations...
They were formed by the scouring action of the Great Ice Age Floods and have little in/outflow of fresh water.
Until the recent discovery that Lahontin Cutthroat will thrive in such alkaline water, all attempts to introduce fish in those lakes failed.
But there are some real beauties in there now!

Probably still including the one my friend had hooked just before he picked up his "passenger"!

Francesca
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #48
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Francesca,

I still get your now imfamous ladder pic when I go to post#1. Did they bring it back or are you having an equipment malfunction?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Barb

The pic that went down or away or wherever was the one I posted of Lake Lenore in post #37...
But guess what?

It's back!

Computer weirdness.....Or mine!

Francesca
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #50

Imagine that, and you don't even have a high post count. Aren't we special...

Where do you hide you picture files? Server errors; Blame it on server errors. Yeah, that's it server errors.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I'm surprised to see so many country folks so scared of snakes. As a kid we used to chase black racers through the Jersey Pines. Big mistake chased a water moccasin through the lake without any idea of what we were going to do when we caught it. Our youngest son (now 25) used to keep ball pythons, my DW walked groggily into the bathroom one morning to find a 6 footer coiled on the radiator right under the light switch, needless to say new precautions were put in place re: lid security. "Most" snake will avoid you if they can. Remember I'm a Philly kid born and bred, snakes aren't that scary.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #52

iRV2 No Limits Club
Tame snakes don't bother me. I'll handle them without any problems. Nonvenomous wild snakes I'm cautious with because they can still bite (and will if given a chance). Poisonous snakes, however, I have a serious respect for.

If I saw a snake or accidentally touched one, I would jump at first until I IDed the thing. After that I would be fine. If the snake wasn't hurting anything, I'd just ignore it unless it was in my house. Then I would just catch and relocate it. I would call in an expert if the snake was venomous.

And I was raised and lived in the city all my life.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #53

I caught a gopher snake when out biking once. I let it go and it climbed up into a motorcycle frame. Talk about a hard time getting it out of the maze of tubing, wires and cables.

Another time a Sidewinder crawled up in a friends sand buggy. It was kinda sick as it didn't even try to strike. I caught it and because it was a very populated recreation area it had to be eliminated for safety reasons.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
The funny thing about snakes is, I think MOST living creatures are innately afraid of them.
Maybe excepting mongooses (mongeese???).
Mother Nature even sometimes uses that fear to other critters' advantage...
There are butterflies whose markings look to a potential predator like snake eyes- keeps the bad guys at bay pretty well!

Even my incurably curious rat terrier is "snake-o-phobic".
One time a toy she was fetching snagged a blackberry vine, causing the vine to sort of "rear up" in her direction...
That dog jumped straight up and backwards about 4 feet in each direction, and would NOT go back for the toy.
Since she's not ordinarily afraid of bushes, I deduced that she thought the vine was a snake!
Really cracked me up, but I'm actually glad she's scared of them (snakes, not vines ) .
I spend a lot of time tramping around rattler country, and while a bite from one of our rattlers probably wouldn't kill me, the dog is small enough that a bite could do her in.

Francesca
Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #55

I had a couple of Dachshund puppies that @ 10-12 weeks, knew which was the business end of a gopher.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Post-hurricane Agnes 1972: brothers and ex had a field day shooting snakes out of trees on the Chickahominy River. The high water had left them high and dry.