Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
fabulous thread. I just love that quiet hiss of a white gas coleman. I've had a propane one for years, but it's just not the same.

I bought my gas lantern at a flea market this summer. $15! dual mantels, and it came with a 2 piece black plastic case, snap the base into the bottom, then clip on the top and she is secure.
The mantles were gone, But i bought a set at the Dick's sporting goods (same ones fit the propane lantern) put em on and fired 'er up, she works great.

I downloaded the pdf's and will read em, bug what is this "Lift to light" ;ever?
I know nothing about that, don't have any directions, and she lights just fine, tho she goes real "fuelly" if I'm not careful with the knob, and doesn't hiss as loudly as I remember from my youth...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #30

After reading part of the great website Mattc sent,, my lantern was made in 1956,,, before me !

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #31

Another question,,, (I'm full of it...) What have you found is the best 'break free' spray for brass or other parts ? The "lift to lite" lever and main gas valve is frozen, and I'd like to let things soak a bit before trying to take them apart.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #32

I have a single mantel Coleman and as far as I'm concerned, it puts out brighter(whiter) light that an double. A double my go further, but not as bright.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Another question,,, (I'm full of it...) What have you found is the best 'break free' spray for brass or other parts ? The "lift to lite" lever and main gas valve is frozen, and I'd like to let things soak a bit before trying to take them apart.
PB Blaster.

BTW, Coleman=Sears. Same parts in both.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Kerosene to soak. (please use proper safety precautions)

I use Liquid Wrench on almost everything that won't budge. A lot on vintage sewing machines. (it's basically kerosene and graphite)

Jim: The lift to light lever if I recall correctly, basically lifts the glass enough so you can get your match in there to light the mantels.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just hit a garage sale and picked up a model 200 and a model 335 to fix up. $5.00 for both but the globes were toast. In Canada you can get new globes, generators and parts from Canadian Tire dirt cheap.

The Lift to Light lever is on the opposite side of the lantern from the generator knob and it all interconnects. ISTR they change the fuel mixture to get the unit to light up safer.

I have two units that ride in our RVs. A single naphtha gas Coleman and a double propane fuel Woods Unit. We use them a lot when boondocking as they will fill the campsite with light for the evening for a few pennies an hour.

I do find the brightness of the Coleman unit a tad greater than the Wood unit.

The two in the RV have been traveling with us for longer than the RVs and I have only had to change one mantle because of a dumb move on my part when lighting. YMMV

regards
Dennis
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
PB Blaster.

BTW, Coleman=Sears. Same parts in both.

Absolutely nothing better out there, Wally World stocks it in Automotive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	27540  
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #37

They also make a Silicone spray.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #38

You people are THE BEST !!!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub

Kerosene to soak. (please use proper safety precautions)

I use Liquid Wrench on almost everything that won't budge. A lot on vintage sewing machines. (it's basically kerosene and graphite)

Jim: The lift to light lever if I recall correctly, basically lifts the glass enough so you can get your match in there to light the mantels.
hmmm, odd. the one I bought just has a lil hole in the bottom...
I crank up the knob til I can hear the gas flowing and stick a lighter in the hole, it goes KERWHOOSH! everytime.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #40

Many years ago i bought a Flint striker type (Zippo ) starter for my Colman 2 mantel lantern. I think I got it at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #41

I"m all packed to go camping up in the smokies; leave sunday; staying in a forest campground, it has no electric, can"t wait to fire up the old coleman and set beside a campfire.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNOLL
Many years ago i bought a Flint striker type (Zippo ) starter for my Colman 2 mantel lantern. I think I got it at Wal-Mart.
Walmart sells the flint lighter, globes, mantles, and genuine Coleman fluid in their camping dept. I still have the very first Coleman lantern and stove that I bought more than thirty years ago to go tent camping in the mountains of NC. I keep them for the memories, but have also bought Propane powered ones for the TT. My DW finally talked me into selling the original Hillary canvas tent just a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't used it in probably 25 years but it looked as good as new.

Tags
vintage