Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #43

I recently threw the cardboard box mine came in away as I have a form fitting plastic case. Shoulda looked for a price or date sticker. I know I bought it in the early 70s. The last time I used it was for a power outage in my S&B at least 12+ years ago.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I recently threw the cardboard box mine came in away as I have a form fitting plastic case. Shoulda looked for a price or date sticker. I know I bought it in the early 70s. The last time I used it was for a power outage in my S&B at least 12+ years ago.
Hey Dunner, the manufacture date should be stamped under the bottom of the fuel tank. I read there is a month and year I think, but mine just had "56" ,unless I just didn't see the month.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #45

Very simple, reliable, inexpensive to operate and put out a lot of light. Dangerous as can be, will flare upon lighting and put out a lot of noxious gases. Avoid any temptation to operate them in a tent or inside.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I"m all packed to go camping up in the smokies; leave sunday; staying in a forest campground, it has no electric, can"t wait to fire up the old coleman and set beside a campfire.
The Smokies are Beautiful !! I'm working on the DW for a trip there next year. I sure miss it. Hope you have a fantastic time !!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #47

Under the name and addy, there is a 6 on the left side and a 78 on the right. Not as old as I thought. Still has almost a full tank and still pumps and hisses. I didn't light it because I didn't want my house to burn up... or is it down? I forget. Do houses burn up or down? What about cars?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Under the name and addy, there is a 6 on the left side and a 78 on the right. Not as old as I thought. Still has almost a full tank and still pumps and hisses. I didn't light it because I didn't want my house to burn up... or is it down? I forget. Do houses burn up or down? What about cars?
House's burn down,,, money burn's up... Car's are Hot,, like your sand rail,, and what were you doing up at 2am ? Guess that's midnight your time ?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #49

I am now in the process of disassembling the 228E lantern... So far the pb blaster is working well. (STINKS) Found a "vintage" mud dauber nest inside the frame rest.... Then I didn't know it, but the crazy thing still had some fuel in it !!! I am sure this hasn't been run in over 40 + yrs.. Probably closer to 50+ . Probably kept it from rusting too bad inside. So far so good. I'll be sending pics in a bit of all the parts. I'm supprised there are that many. If the check valve is good, I think we'll be ok. The leather on the pump was still wet/flexible, but DW bought me a new rubber one today at wally world, so I'll put that in for good measure. More to follow.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I am now in the process of disassembling the 228E lantern... So far the pb blaster is working well. (STINKS) Found a "vintage" mud dauber nest inside the frame rest.... Then I didn't know it, but the crazy thing still had some fuel in it !!! I am sure this hasn't been run in over 40 + yrs.. Probably closer to 50+ . Probably kept it from rusting too bad inside. So far so good. I'll be sending pics in a bit of all the parts. I'm supprised there are that many. If the check valve is good, I think we'll be ok. The leather on the pump was still wet/flexible, but DW bought me a new rubber one today at wally world, so I'll put that in for good measure. More to follow.
I had a partial can of Coleman gas from the 70's. Was smelling gas about 3 years ago in the garage. The Coleman can had rusted a pinhole through.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #51

Gulf Streamers Club
Back in the '60's I was in a scout troop that had a cabin in the middle of a bird sanctuary -- no utilities. We used 4 double mantle Coleman's to light the cabin. My duty was to arrive early, fill, light, and hang the lanterns on a pulley system for meetings. Never an issue with a little 3-in-one oil to keep the leathers soft. I've had a single mantle Coleman for 40 years and it works every time. I have a two burner stove too, I was just at LL Bean in Freeport, ME, they had a new stove for sale, 'Dual fuel' for $175! I think I paid $19 for mine in the '70's, it's not 'dual' though, just Coleman gas. The new stove didn't say way the other fuel was it ran on, but I ran at the $175 price tag.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #52

Ok,, here are the parts before and after cleaning. I had no want to make it look 'new' as it is a 1956 model. Just wanted to make it look cared for.
I'm attempting re-assy right now. Oh, and I had mentioned, the old pump in the pics is being replaced with a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman before.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	27643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman after.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	27644  

Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #53

Found this about "old" radioactive mantels.

"I recommend you use Coleman® mantles. You can buy off-brand mantles, or you might find a "vintage" set of mantle lying around, but they stand a very good chance of being dangerous. Coleman® mantles are only made with Yttrium. Some off-brand and many (even Coleman®) vintage mantles are made with Thorium, which is radioactive".
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #54

DONE

Okie Dokie,, here we are with a beautiful operating 56 yr old lantern.. I had to go buy a new "generator" , the thin center tube that atomizes the fuel,, it just would not clean up after years of sitting. ($8) at Academy Sports. Also a new fuel cap, the rubber seal was done ($5) We are "Happy Campers" !! Thanks to everybody for your help !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman done.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	27666  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
The Smokies are Beautiful !! I'm working on the DW for a trip there next year. I sure miss it. Hope you have a fantastic time !!
Just got back; It was "COLD" 36 one night 38 another, for a Florida cracker, thats cold, glad to get back where its a "warm" comfortable 85.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #56

That's a great picture, Monkey. Almost says... "Coleman, American Made to Last" with the way you have the flag in the background. I would be tempted to send a letter to Coleman with your story and that picture.

Glad you got the old girl working again. Makes me want to dig out the one of mine that needs repair and fix it.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage