Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Vintage Coleman Lantern help?

I have a Coleman dual mantle lantern model 228e that has been in the family since new as far as I know. I've done a little research, (just starting) and it seems these were from the 50's 60's , which would been right as far as Mom and Dad and their friends camping/boating back then. My first memories of camping was way before battery/LED stuff.. Seems you don't see a lot of stuff like this in camp grounds now days.
It looks in great shape, I'll send a pic later, but I'm sure it needs some maintenance before I attempt to use it. This will be a stress relieving hobby as such, but still very usefull.. Anybody have any experience on like ones, maybe where I should start... I know the mantels need replaced... Thanks for any help.
Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Nothing special needed. I would check the pump and if it doesn't pump, squirt some light weight oil into the hole. Wait until the leather gasket has had time to absorb the oil and the pump will work. Replace the mantles which you can get at WallyMart and follow the directions for installation. Fill the tank with Coleman fuel and you should be good to go.

I have a couple from them from the 50's and they still work fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Nothing special needed. I would check the pump and if it doesn't pump, squirt some light weight oil into the hole. Wait until the leather gasket has had time to absorb the oil and the pump will work. Replace the mantles which you can get at WallyMart and follow the directions for installation. Fill the tank with Coleman fuel and you should be good to go.

Thats a great start !! Thanks so much ! As in light weight oil, what do you suggest ? The lighting lever (?) at the base of the globe is froze up, so I'll take that apart and clean it up. It's been stored inside all these years, so it's not rusty, looks almost like new. Thanks again !
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

I have one also, from the 60's, I haul it out for power failures, originally bought it for light and handwarming while ice-fishing.

Have a question, do you use the white gas or un-leaded gasoline. I still have a can of white but had seen them advertised years ago as able to use non-leaded, don't know about ethanol crappo.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I have one also, from the 60's, I haul it out for power failures, originally bought it for light and handwarming while ice-fishing.

Have a question, do you use the white gas or un-leaded gasoline. I still have a can of white but had seen them advertised years ago as able to use non-leaded, don't know about ethanol crappo.
I'm real new on this, but I'll use Coleman fuel, which I understand is 'white gas'.. I'm reading the Coleman site, but this one is so old,, they don't even recognize the model number...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

One thing that is cool about these old white gas models is they are rebuild-able.

How to Rebuild a Coleman® Lantern or Stove: Old Town Coleman

I have two old lanterns myself and a couple of white gas stoves as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Essentially, the 'white gas' from years ago is unleaded gasoline which is what Coleman fuel is with just some fuel stabilizer added.
You can safely use today's gasoline in your coleman products as long as you do not store them with any fuel in the tank.....as is recommended for any hydrocarbon combusting tool.
Any good penetratiing oil should free up a stuck valve and a good can of carburetor cleaner will remove the gumminess often fouling older lanterns.
If you wish, for a few cents you can replace the old leather seals with new ones to ensure no air will leak from the pump or pressure cap. Sometimes the old seals, even if oiled, have dried out and cracked which may leak slowly, even if re-oiled.
I have several from the mid '40s and '50s which operate as good today as the day they were made. Likewise, I also use several military Aladdin stoves which also use 'white gas' when I like to make coffee and/or hot water for some MRE's.
This past year, with all the power outages we have had in the Northeast, many folks rekindled their love for these products.
Just please adhere to best safety practices and NEVER use these products indoors.
I may have missed a thing or two and I am quite sure there are others on here who have extensive knowledge about these things so just ask away if you have other questions.
A good Coleman lantern fired up at night sure can bring back some good memories......and also make some for the young folks.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

You can get the seal at Academy sports if needed
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
You can get the seal at Academy sports if needed
All very Kewl stuff, still have my original box tucked away.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #10

Thanks so much for all the info ! Now I can get started ..
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sears also carries parts,, They may be marked as fitting a "Crafstman" but.. Well you do know about re-painting right (Same product).

The links below may be of assistance.. NOTE that Coleman makes both gasoline and kerosean lanterns, they are different I have included links to both.

This one is for Gas (Coleman fuel) Lanterns It is a PDF

The link to the kerosene lantern did not work.

And a You Tube Video
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't see them much any more but I love to bring ours out as it brings back such great memories. Wife and I have old lantered from our fathers as well as stoves. We have not used the stoves in years but there is nothing better than a game of cards under the awning on a fall night.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We've got one of those old ones too. Along with a stove that uses the same fuel. Both of ours are Sears branded, but probably made by Coleman. I replaced the plunger pump in either the stove or the lantern (don't recall which) after the original leather pump dried out to much and wouldn't expand. The new plunger pump is rubber. It's been working fine for nearly 10 years after replacing the seal.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Sears also carries parts,, They may be marked as fitting a "Crafstman" but.. Well you do know about re-painting right (Same product).

The links below may be of assistance.. NOTE that Coleman makes both gasoline and kerosean lanterns, they are different I have included links to both.

This one is for Gas (Coleman fuel) Lanterns It is a PDF

The link to the kerosene lantern did not work.

And a You Tube Video
That PDF is fantastic !! Part numbers and everything !! Thankyou SO MUCH !!!!!!

Tags
vintage