RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Vinyl Plank Flooring

Hello. New to the site and RVíing. We have an í07 Sunnybrook fw that we purchased from the original owner about a year ago. It had been extremely well cared for and maintained. We now want to do some updating to make it ďoursĒ. My questions are about the flooring. We want to replace it with vinyl plank flooring (except the slides will be carpet). Iíve done a ton of internet searching and am totally confused from the contradicting posts. Some say itís great, others say it wonít work.
There are several different types of vinyl plank flooring. Click-lock, Grip-Strip, Glue Down. I understand, regardless of the type, you need to leave a gap at the edges for expansion/contraction. I laid the click-lock type in my basement, and am familiar with it in that context.
Click-Lock- some say the twisting of the rv movement will cause them to come apart.
Grip-Strip- some say the extreme temperature variations of an rv will cause the adhesive to fail.
Glue down/peel & stick- some say it will buckle and/or the adhesive will fail. (some claim all the above types will buckle)
Sheet vinyl- not going there.
Respectfully, the confusion from my searches seems to be that many have an opinion regardless if they have actually installed it. Iím not looking for an opinion from those that had an uncle that had a friend that knew a guyÖ, Iím looking for comments from those that actually used one of the above products and specifics about how long you have had it and how it has performed. Would you use the same type material again? What would you do different?
Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot about rvíing from the experience on this site.

(Mods, I could not find a board specific to interior updating. Feel free to move my post if there is a more appropriate spot.)

Jet2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

We installed the glue edge Allure that Home Depot was selling (not sure that they still do but it has adhesive on 2 edges). It's held up pretty well except for one area. When we installed it we decided to do the entire area with no seams (it's waterproof that way I guess). That turned out to be a mistake. We have a short 2-3 foot "hallway" area between the front and rear areas and the material has pulled apart in that section only on the 6" end of the material. The lengthwise sections have been fine. We floated it and still have some carpeting under the slide area that we could not remove. All in all it's holding up well other than that. It's got some texture to it so you don't see a lot of scratches but we know there are some. I don't have any extra material but I could probably fix the one area if we did by just cutting out the affected area and using some transition pieces. We just deal with it and don't worry too much. It's been down for 2 years now.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

We installed the Allure from Home Depot about 6 years ago in our fifth wheel. The planking they had was on sale and the job material cost was under $160. It is the click/snap type and it has held up well for us. The slide has scratched a couple of the planks, but since we did not glue it down, it was easy to replace them.
I did not leave any gaps along the side or ends and instead I fitted the planks tight to the walls. In most cases, I did not need any molding except where a cut was not perfect. My reasoning for no gaps is that the RV will shrink/expand to the temperatures along with the floor. This is unlike a house that won't shrink/expand which means the floor needs room to shrink/expand on it's own.
For our floor, I left the vinyl floor in place and just removed the carpet. The slide carpet was replaced by cutting along the cabinets and removing the piece as a template for the new carpet. We just replaced our carpet last week for the 4th time in 6 years. It's easy and cheap by buying a 5X7 carpet remnant with binding and after cutting the shape, just staple it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	265189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Floor.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	265190  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We installed the glue edge Allure that Home Depot was selling (not sure that they still do but it has adhesive on 2 edges). It's held up pretty well except for one area. When we installed it we decided to do the entire area with no seams (it's waterproof that way I guess). That turned out to be a mistake. We have a short 2-3 foot "hallway" area between the front and rear areas and the material has pulled apart in that section only on the 6" end of the material. The lengthwise sections have been fine. We floated it and still have some carpeting under the slide area that we could not remove. All in all it's holding up well other than that. It's got some texture to it so you don't see a lot of scratches but we know there are some. I don't have any extra material but I could probably fix the one area if we did by just cutting out the affected area and using some transition pieces. We just deal with it and don't worry too much. It's been down for 2 years now.
Thanks! I appreciate the note on the short side seam, and I'll be sure to buy a little extra to keep on hand for repairs.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We installed the Allure from Home Depot about 6 years ago in our fifth wheel. The planking they had was on sale and the job material cost was under $160. It is the click/snap type and it has held up well for us. The slide has scratched a couple of the planks, but since we did not glue it down, it was easy to replace them.
I did not leave any gaps along the side or ends and instead I fitted the planks tight to the walls. In most cases, I did not need any molding except where a cut was not perfect. My reasoning for no gaps is that the RV will shrink/expand to the temperatures along with the floor. This is unlike a house that won't shrink/expand which means the floor needs room to shrink/expand on it's own.
For our floor, I left the vinyl floor in place and just removed the carpet. The slide carpet was replaced by cutting along the cabinets and removing the piece as a template for the new carpet. We just replaced our carpet last week for the 4th time in 6 years. It's easy and cheap by buying a 5X7 carpet remnant with binding and after cutting the shape, just staple it in place.
Thanks! Nice looking floor. I hadn't thought of the RV shrink/expand point. Also, thanks for the tip on buying a pre-bound carpet. I was trying to think of how to cut it and then take it to have the binding done. Your way- much simpler.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't comment on the plank flooring since we used the 12" squares of premium vinyl tile on our floor.

Just noticed you are new on the forum and wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #7

We installed the Life Proof Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring, from Home Depot. It is waterproof, click-lock with pre-installed backing. Tough it is intended to be installed as a floating floor, our installer (a professional flooring installer who also does RVs) used pressure sensitive (releasable) adhesive to glue down the flooring. No problems with buckling or separation, feels solid, and if damaged, a plank can be removed and replaced. Yes, gluing voids the lifetime warranty, but so does simply installing the flooring in a motorhome, so that was not an issue.

One caveat. I live in SoCal so my coach is not subject to weather/temperature extremes, even when stored. We've had the coach in warm weather when the inside temps (when unoccupied) can get close to 100*, but never in low temps that approach or exceed freezing. I cannot, therefore, comment on expansion/contraction of the floor or the coach in such extremes.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #8

We have a 17 Verona by Renegade that came with Armstrong Luxe Vinyl flooring throughout. Its a peel and stick product. Within 6 months of ownership the planks separated at the joints leaving spaced up to 3/16 where you could see the sub floor. It was pulled up (easy as the sticky part was not really sticky) under warranty and relayed. They used glue on pieces on the outside edge of the floor near the slides to prevent future movement. Within 2-3 months the planks again separated. Had a flooring pro look at it and tell me the wrong product was used....should be some type of locking plank material. We currently live with it and may ultimately put down carpet. Not happy.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

One more thought is that not only do temperature extremes affect the flooring, but so does humidity extremes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

We are going through this same process right now, so I will not make any recommendations, just the results of my research.

We will be using Lifeproof click lock LVP from Home Depot and will free float it. We have it narrowed down to two colors of oak. The Lifeproof is more expensive (about $3.19/sq.ft.) but the square footage is small so the cost is not much of a factor, especially considering the quality. It is thicker for lower noise, stability and increased insulation, has a built in backing and is waterproof.

The worst problems we have read about seem to be due to gluing down vinyl planks so free floating makes the most sense to me. I know some people have good results gluing it down but I haven't read about anyone having buckling/separating problems with a quality click/lock product that was free floated. Plus, the manufacturer recommends free floating and not gluing it down.

I am currently working out the process I will go through for installation. I am going to leave in the existing tile in the entry way, kitchen and water closet. The tile looks good, is in perfect condition and would be a major pain to remove. So, I am figuring how to do the vinyl/tile interfaces. In addition, we have two slides that move straight in/out on rollers and one that elevates to come in/out and will require a different method.

I hope to start ripping out the carpet next week. I will start my own thread for questions and to document my progress. Good luck on your project!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. I just got back from Home Depot & Lowes looking at different products. LVT comes in different thicknesses, the thicker appears to be better quality, but also more weight. Thinner would also be easier to trim out at doorways, steps, etc. I guess there is a balance there someplace. As mentioned previously, the amount needed is small enough that cost per s.f. is not an issue, it's more about what will work best for the application.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
One caveat. I live in SoCal so my coach is not subject to weather/temperature extremes, even when stored. We've had the coach in warm weather when the inside temps (when unoccupied) can get close to 100*, but never in low temps that approach or exceed freezing. I cannot, therefore, comment on expansion/contraction of the floor or the coach in such extremes.
I helped a local friend install vinyl plank flooring in her class A. Temperature was in the 70s.

The next summer, we found that the 1/8 inch gap at the edges was not enough. Outside temperatures around 115, I can only guess at the inside temperatures. The flooring buckled to the point of defeating the interlocks at the edge of the planks. It was a mess and required an almost complete redo.

If you are interested, I redid our RV floors with manufactured wood plank. I used a combination of glue, nails and floating, choosing what I thought best for the conditions.

No regrets and no issues after five years of use.

Matt B
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #13

We used Armstrong LVT (luxury vinyl tile). It was the only one we found that doesn't need space for expansion & contraction. It is thick though; a good 1/4 - 5/16" since it has a cork backing. Lays fast with click & lock, floating. I think you can glue it, but we didn't do so. Very nice looking and it seems to be holding up very well.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #14

When installing a click/lock hardwood plank flooring in an RV, do you need to install a membrane/pad over the subfloor first? Replacing the floor and the old plank floor had no membrane under it, but itís a 2001 so not sure if thatís why or itís not needed.

Spc19498 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, vinyl