Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vinyl wrap RV

Have any of you made the choice to vinyl wrap your unit in lieu of full body paint? Pros and cons? Recommendations?
Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Living in Florida and not stored indoors the life expectancy would be short, compared to FBP.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

I have a friend who put a wrap on his front cap only. The Diamond Shield had yellowed, scratched and peeled. The colors were close but not a perfect match. At 50 ft it looks good but at close inspection you can tell the difference. It's only one year old so I don't know how it will sun and weather. He said that it was considerably cheaper than sanding and repainting not even considering a new Diamond Shield.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by vinyl wrap. On the whole RV? I've never heard of that being done.

We did have front Diamond Shield on our motorhome and it was absolutely perfect after 8 years of full-timing. However, we kept it clean and used 303 on it. We also used it mainly in the western states.

If you read posts of folks that have had problems with it you will see that they usually lived in the south, as you appear to do so. I really think humidity has a lot to do with it having problems, especially of mold. Also, the application has to be done perfectly.

All I can say is that ours was great and very easy to get bugs off. We drove it to Alaska and didn't get any dings. We would recommend it but not if we lived in the south.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:27 AM   #5

I've seen plenty of corporate RVs with full body wraps, but I don't think I've ever seen a personal rig with a full body wrap. There is a shop out here that "re-stripes" RVs though. They'll take the old graphics off and put new, more modern graphics on instead. That might be an option worth looking into.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
paz

Vinyl wrap will not last as long as paint (maybe 3 to 5 years?), but it is cheaper. One website I came across advertised half the cost of paint. Expect a good paint job for an RV to cost upwards of $10k. The more colors and the more complicated the design, the more it will cost.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by vinyl wrap. On the whole RV? I've never heard of that being done.
It's pressure sensitive vinyl sheet. Essentially all the oversized advertising graphics you see on city buses is vinyl wrap. It is applied to buses and trucks all the time, so there's no reason it couldn't be applied to an RV.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A friend of mine had his older Winnie Adventurer completely wrapped a year ago. Looks great and still holding up ok. A bit less than half the cost of a re-paint.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I always thought it would be neat to use my wildlife photos on a wrap for my coach. Local quotes were in the $4,000 neighborhood. I never did anything though.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote