Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Question Virgin RV Owner

I just bought a 2000 Bounder.I am new to owning a rv.Can someone tell me what a need for tools and equipment i need to go on the road?
jakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I see this is your first post. Why don't you jump over to the New Member area New Member Check-In - iRV2 Forums and introduce yourself there!

As for what to take, that covers a LOT of territory! You might want to list what you already have and we'll go from there!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My exp is this:
I could pull a 20' trailer full of tools and parts.
The one, ONE, thing that would break, tear or wear out is the one, ONE thing I wouldn't have in that trailer.
So I just carry some wrenches, a few belts and cash.
A good credit card with a low balance is also helpful.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Full Time or Part Time?

For PT you will need some basic hand tools. Perhaps food for a few days, clothes for same, some entertainment for rainy days. Also either take a laptop with good internet connection (your own MiFi might be best) for mapping routes and looking for things to do. A good GPS is very helpful as well. Emergency equipment such as flashlights, road fuses, etc.

For FT, everything you own!

I'm sure others will have items to add to this short list.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

JAKESNAKE.... I have a Harborfreight $34 105 piece tool kit....a mini 12 v compressor (with some accessories) ... a 12 ton bottle jack.....two jack stands....a 40" 3/4" breaker bar and lug socket.... battery operated drill....some driver bits, small hack saw, volt ohm meter that is about it for RV related goodies in the tool dept

then fill it up with you and all your widgets....go find a place and test out camping. The fun parts are using the RV's accessories....getting hot water....getting furnace...getting gas to stove....getting frige to run the proper temp... You are going to have a blast. Then you get to dump the tanks.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What to take in terms of tools and gear.. Well, there is a basic beginner's kit, if you purchased via a dealer it may be included but this is the basic list of things I'd want.. Assumes you will NOT be fixing things:
Fresh water hose (usually white) I carry two (one is modified for winter use but occasionally I have to hook 'em together)

Sewer hose: I have a collection but a 10' hose with a right angle stepped end (Either threaded or smooth) and a 10 foot extension hose is the minimum I'd have.. Also a Sewer "Donut" seal for when it's needed.

ELectrical at least one extension cord matching RV cord, this is likely the last of the items,, NOTE: Look for a WINTER grade cord, easier to coil.

Water Pressure Regulator... Watts, or Zurin, 1/2 or 3/4 inch with hose adapters, This goes at teh park end of the hose, set to 50 PSI

Water filter: Optional but the biggest activated charcoal you can get is a good idea, Mine is home made 3" ID.

Power filter: Progressive HW or PT 30 or 50 (Depending on RV's power needs) C. NOTE: the 50 amp (HW-50C or PT-50C) works fine on a 30 amp site,
Dogbone power adapter, RV's plug to the other of the two above
Dogbone power adapter RV's plug to 15 amp (Plug in at home for set up)

CREDIT CARDS or DEBIT cards with a nice full bank account (highly useful).

Tools: If you think you will be working on the RV, Many are put together using Robson head screws,, Usually a #2 Square bit (Or #2 Robson) is better than a phillips,, So I'd put a #2 Square screwdriver in your rig.
That is the only "Special" tool at this time

A Multimeter (Digital, harbor freight occasionally free is good).

A test lamp (Automotive parts store) Way easier to use chasing 12 volt problems.

Now I carry a few heavy duty things (Air Hammers, Wrenches, that kind of thign) but this is my house, so all my tools are here.
4 jack pads, 2x12 works nicely here (1 foot long) painted or stained. Normally you do not need these but they are handy when parking on ground that may freeze.. I have had jacks stick to dirt, never to the wood blocks, Drive off and tap gently with a sledge and the blocks pop right loose.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

I don't know if your RV has the troublesome Bosch brakes or not. They had a phenolic piston in the brake calipers that would swell and cause the brakes to drag. I would have that checked out first thing.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

You'll find lots of good direction right here .... basics as outlined above ... and we carry some tools .... and of course extra Oil, belts, coolant, etc and of course clean up gear ... wash, detail solution etc.
Again .... a lot depends on if you've got a home base or not ... and full time or weekend warrior ... Once you get out there, you'll figure it out pretty quickly ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
I just bought a 2000 Bounder.I am new to owning a rv.Can someone tell me what a need for tools and equipment i need to go on the road?
Hi Jake,
I just asked almost the same exact question and got some good responses check out:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/ok-bo...at-234449.html

Bob
bmattei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go to a campground close to home for a couple of days, Walk around and meet your neighbors, let them know you are new and they will show you a lot. This is the weekend to do it weatherwise. That coupled with what you read on this forum will get you ready.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

I carry a DVM, 200 Piece Craftsman tool kit, a set of SAE flex head Gear wrenches,power screwdriver with several square bits. Water pump pliers,set of screwdrivers. Spare belts, 2 drinking water hoses.a new stinky slinky,Duct tape, WD40. And a bunch of stuff inside the coach that my wife takes care of.Most important, have fun. It soon can become an addiction.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
Take it from someone with many years of experience, the absolutely MOST important item to bring alone on ALL of your journeys is...'a good sense of humor."
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote