Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Walk thru is friday.... Suggestions

We are picking up our first TT on Friday. Please give me suggestions on things we should look for, test, and take note of during our walk thru. Thank you!

Ldybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try this it's for an RV but should be close http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml

Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Many have indicated that they video taped their Pre-Delivery Inspection for future reference.

It may also help you to document any possible pre-delivery damage to the unit so it can not be later blamed on you.

Best of Luck!
Roadtrek 170 Popular
MAU MAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
If the selling dealer is calling this a "walk-through" you are being cheated. This is/should be a pre-delivery inspection, by and for you! You have already paid for it in the unit cost. You both should have a full understanding of how and why everything about the trailer works before signing the pre-delivery inspection papers. Heed the preceding advice by 4 knights and mau mau, they obviously have experienced this at least once.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Try this it's for an RV but should be close RV Inspection Checklist
A second vote for this. I know that when I look at a new car, boat or RV, my IQ drops to a neanderthal level and I forget to check half the stuff I was going to check because I didn't write it down.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the dealer has it 100% correct and to your preference. DO NOT sign the papers, pay for it and take the unit until all items are fixed to your satisfaction. Once they have the papers signed and your money, many dealers treat the owner as a second calss citizen.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Coastal Campers
The only thing I can think of in addition to the above is to have the dealer demonstrate how you manually override every system when they fail. Electric awnings, slide retraction, spare tire dismounting, torquing wheel lugs, jacks and stabilizers, hitching and unhitching, setting your brake controller, to name a few.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Thank you so much for the information...feeling alittle overwhelmed now....LOL...but it will be worth it!! We haven't signed the papers or given them the money yet, so wel will check and double check!

Thanks again!
Ldybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Assuming you have a printed checklist like ones suggested previously, do not let the dealer dissuade you from following the list. If he or she moves to a different area (i.e. plumbing when you were checking electric) be sure to pick back up on your list where you left off so you don't miss anything. Our PDI took 8 hours over two days. The dealership got real unhappy when we weren't willing to sign papers until the PDI was completed to our satisfaction but backed off when we obviously weren't going to give in.

If you're a novice, try to find an experienced RVing friend to go along with you who has already been down the same road. Keep in mind that you are doing this to not only learn how things work but IF they work.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Dealership I worked for several years ago allotted one hour for walk-thru, but they also provided a checklist for me to use in demonstrating all the workings. Usually took me about and hour and a half, but only got paid for one hour. I was paid a hourly wage plus flat-rate. You should take all the time you feel is appropriate to understand where everything is and how it works.

ginnyd is offline   Reply With Quote