Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #57

I say do NOT abuse the favor extended to us by Walmart.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Good thought. But I'm afraid it's too late.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Yes, Walmart and solar have saved me a lot of money when traveling.

Walmart provides me with:
free overnight parking
security
low prices
I always buy something when I over night park there. And I return my cart to the proper area!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #60

Personally I have never overnighted at a place other than a campground. I never intend to. But I'm retired and never in a hurry. I've found some of the nicest campgrounds 20 miles off the interstate for one night while traveling to my destination.

Anyway my 40 ft rig + tow car would be a challenge to park in most parking lots.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
The USA is a free Country. In Case you don't know it today is Veterans day, they made it a free Country for you and me. If someone wants to photograph me and my RV I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with it. You know why? because I CAMP where it's legal, I never CAMP on private property, I never DUMP where it's not legal My garbage stay in my vehicle until I find a garbage can that I'm ALLOWED to use and most of all I don't beg for $ I don't harass ANYONE ever. I was on Google earth yesterday looking at my backyard. So you need to go back to school and learn what's unethical.
Please explain how I slanderd them?
You took pictures of a bunch of vehicles, posted them in a public place, and then claimed that you were SURE most of them were homeless based solely on the appearance of their vehicles. That, my dear, is slander (or libel, depending on the scope of the audience). No, I do not need to go "back to school".
Old 11-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #62

OK, this thread has gotten way off track and WEIRD! Taking photos of someone and claiming slander?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
You took pictures of a bunch of vehicles, posted them in a public place, and then claimed that you were SURE most of them were homeless based solely on the appearance of their vehicles. That, my dear, is slander (or libel, depending on the scope of the audience). No, I do not need to go "back to school".
Defamation is an area of law that provides a civil remedy when someone's words end up causing harm to your reputation or your livelihood. Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken by the defendant.

Taking pictures in public, regardless of the subject, is legal if the subject had no reasonable expectation of privacy. Parked in a WalMart parking lot one has no reasonable expectation of privacy, quite the opposite.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #64

POV

I see lots of different points of view here. We may disagree with some, but I hope we can suspend our natural human biases long enough to understand the others. You may continue to hold your own views but I hope you can understand and accept that others look at the same situation differently.
I can add these observations about Walmart.
Wally (Walmart founder) greatly enjoyed Rv'ing. He made his personal passion part of his business. It has stayed that way even though he has moved on.
A coffee shop chain suffered greatly when one barista evicted a minority customer and refused to allow use of toilet facilities. I am sure Walmart does not want that problem, especially since their business model includes low income customers.
Vagabond RV'ers are not the main problem with the Walmart environment. The issues reported in this thread can appear at all Walmarts and many do not for whatever reason have RV'ers frequenting the parking lots.
My friend in Massachusetts drives 20 miles to a Walmart because the one within 5 miles of her house has frequent muggings and killings. The difference has nothing to do with RV's.
The one Walmart within 5 miles of my house and the only one within 30 miles does not have crime or soliciting problems. It does have bumper car problems.
Use your better judgement of where you are comfortable shopping. Don't jump to conclusions about others who have different points of view. There was no crime evident in the pictures posted and no reports of individual violations. Judging a group for infractions of individuals at other places is immoral and cannot lead to legal prosecutions.
I accept you may not agree with me and I am interested in your views on this subject.
Regards,
Paul Bristol
Old 11-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
OK, this thread has gotten way off track and WEIRD! Taking photos of someone and claiming slander?

Yeah, depicting the "houseless" is not slander by most legal definitions. It's kind of tacky and is unlikely to change the situation, but whatever.

Being homeless and panhandling IS a job in and of itself, but you get to set your own hours, job location and work rules. Whether or not that is a good personal choice.... well, I don't think any of us would *choose* it.

That all said, there is a certain bit of human nature to exploit situations and things, whether putting out one's hand for alms or exploiting natural resources without regard to replenishment or sustainability. That's not going away until people change, which seems very unlikely at this point in human history.

Part of what is missing in our discussions of the chronically unhoused is that it changes the mindset of those who are so affected. Like chronic poverty - when it's what you know, what you've adapted to - it eventually can define ones existence and oneself.

These are not excuses for ill mannered people or those who exhibit threatening or illegal behaviors, but understanding that simply removing these folks from open view is not addressing the underlying problems that put them in circumstances that raises the ire of we *recreational* vehicle users.

And it might be astute to remember that for whatever reasons - most of us on these forums have more of whatever "it" is that allowed us to be in more fortunate circumstances than those in these kinds of pictures. Whether plain old luck; hard work and financial discipline; inheritance; better personal choices, etc, we ended up with more of "it".

Here Endeth the Reading. /
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The real question is whether they were still there tomorrow. It sort of looks like caravans I have seen leaving traveling circus events or mobile repair crews stopping for the day.
Well I wasn't there the next day but I was there today (3 days later) with my grandson. I don't think it was a caravan. Some have left some have moved to another place in the parking lot. There are some different ones, one new one even had a table and chairs out. I took pictures but there is no need to post them, as I'm sure everyone has the idea. Some of the comments here in my opinion were well let's just say "WAY OUT THERE" Some were directing anger at me ( I don't care). Someone replied "There goes the privileges" That was right on in my opinion. The privileges were abused years ago when people began using walmart as a planned stop over. This has really stirred up a lot of anger with people, that's not necessarily a bad thing, again just my opinion. Some people don't care one way or the other. Anyway as far as slander well that doesn't even get a comment. Yes we have a horrible homelessness problem in our society. Some people don't care as long as it's not in there backyard. I don't want these people to leave the walmart in my town, only to go to different town. I don't have an answer. I was glad my 12 year old grandson was with me. I explained what I was doing. He's been saving his $$ for quite awhile, he asked if he could give one of them some $ I said no and explained a better way to help people that really want help. So we drove to a grocery store that is asking for a $10 donation for a bag of groceries for needy families. We bought 10 bags for $100, when we got in the car my grandson said "When you take me home I'll give you $50"
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I was glad my 12 year old grandson was with me. I explained what I was doing. He's been saving his $$ for quite awhile, he asked if he could give one of them some $ I said no and explained a better way to help people that really want help. So we drove to a grocery store that is asking for a $10 donation for a bag of groceries for needy families. We bought 10 bags for $100, when we got in the car my grandson said "When you take me home I'll give you $50"
Awesome!!! Both you and your grandson.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Awesome!!! Both you and your grandson.
It got better, I took him home. He ran upstairs and came down with $50 I said thanks Mike but I'm not going to take your $. He said papa I know you won't but I want you to go buy 5 more bags of food for more families. I had to fight back tears. I guess I just hijacked my own thread, Sorry.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #69

Oh my. It is what it is.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
this is where you worry camping is heading people thinking this is the easy way out and cheap
Closed Thread