Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #15

Quit using Walmart for oil changes after they forgot to tighten the drain plug.

Next day noticed small oil spots on the driveway. Crawled up under the vehicle and the drain plug was loose. Apparently they put it in finger tight but never put a wrench on it.

I was relieved it didn't fall out while I was driving.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #16

I have come to understand, that when you have routine L/O/F work done at full service shops, the guy actually doing the work is the least experienced and lowest paid guy in the shop. When he's not doing the low end scut work he's sweeping up. The shops aren't going to use there older, experienced guys on this routine stuff no mater what their shop rate is. My solution is to do as much of my own work as this 70 year old wide body can still do or for the L/O/F go to Speedco. At least that is their reason for existence and if they didn't do it right the truckers would kill them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
I think Speedco's are great. They let, even encourage you, to watch. Their cost is almost the same as if we bought the materials, ok, it actually is $20 more, but for $20 I get 45 minutes of their time and I do not have to crawl under the coach, they have a pit! They also test the coolant. The only thing I found unusual the first time I used them, but later realized why, I had to pull in from the exit, that placed the DP engine where they had all their tools. One thing I do, I know how many zerk fittings are on my coach, I tell them there will be a quiz later, so count how many you lube. Only once have they been wrong so I made them go back and do it until they found them all. I know zerk counting will not replace Jeopardy on TV, but it lets me know they have gotten the job completely done.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #18

I bought the premium oil package at WM which included lube, top up fluids, vacuum carpets and wash inside of windshield. As I stood and watched, I asked the kid what is involved in the lube on my car model. He looked at the floor and said he would have a manager explain it to me. The manager kid then explained that the greasing machine was broken and went on to explain how easy it would be for me to get under there with a grease gun and find the grease fittings. When I got the car back the washer fluid had not been topped up. The explanation was that the washer fluid dispenser was broken. Did I want him to go into the store and get a jug of washer fluid? As I drove away I noticed that the vacuum and inside windshield washing machine must have been broken too. If I can't trust them with my car, the MH is out of the question.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #19

To me using Walmart is the same thing as letting Pep Boys do something and I would never even consider it. Changing oil should not be a big adventure and there are plenty of reputable places to seek out if you can not do it yourself.

As far as the tires being 2 inches different as mentioned above, seems to me that would be a pretty easy thing to spot if you look at what was just put on your vehicle as you should, just saying.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
NEVER AGAIN. Over Filled my Camry 1 quart and half. I told them what it held and they brought out a Oil service book and pointed to 6L and put in 6 quarts. Did not know what L stood for. I got supervisor and showed him in Vehicle manual the correct amount. He drained out proper amount .

If the book showed 6L and they put in 6 QUARTS, then they UNDERFILLED, not OVERFILLED . . . .or am I missing something?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #21

It is not Walmart doing the lube job. It is a human being. Some know what they are doing and take pride in it and others are too busy listening to what is playing in their ear buds to do a decent job. I have had oil changes done at Walmart on my F250 7.3 liter diesel for over five years. I buy tires at Walmart. So far, I have not had a problem with the service and I do check the zerks.

You can find poor workmanship anywhere.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post

As far as the tires being 2 inches different as mentioned above, seems to me that would be a pretty easy thing to spot if you look at what was just put on your vehicle as you should, just saying.
That's what I thought, When I test drove it it went down the road like a quarter falling down, all was explained when the guy picked up the car, he was not the brightest crayon in the box if ya know what I mean.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you need oil changed try to find a Speedco. They do a ton of RVs and allow you in the pit so you can make a thorough inspection of the undercarriage.

No way would I let WalMart do my coach!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #24

No way would I let WalMart do my stuff! You pay big dollars for what you have. Why the hell would you go to any cheep place to have anything done?
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you need oil changed try to find a Speedco. They do a ton of RVs and allow you in the pit so you can make a thorough inspection of the undercarriage.

No way would I let WalMart do my coach!

Tony, some of the Speedco's have stopped allowing non employees in the pits, they say it is for liability reasons. I know, because I had a change done at the store in Harrisburg, PA in December and was not allowed in the pit.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
It is not Walmart doing the lube job. It is a human being. Some know what they are doing and take pride in it and others are too busy listening to what is playing in their ear buds to do a decent job. I have had oil changes done at Walmart on my F250 7.3 liter diesel for over five years. I buy tires at Walmart. So far, I have not had a problem with the service and I do check the zerks.

You can find poor workmanship anywhere.
You are so 100% right!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Geneandea , I don't know where you are located , But if you are near Wayne, MI.
Trust your Fleetwood to Jack Demmer Ford QuickLane service center.
I take my 2008 Winnebago View there , Tires, shocks ,struts, not a problem.
This place can do anything a Freight liner shop can do ,and a heck of a lot cheaper.

John M
john fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Where do most people get oil changes for diesels? Truck stops I would assume.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote