Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Where do most people get oil changes for diesels? Truck stops I would assume.

Excepting DYI, Speedco is hard to beat.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
If the book showed 6L and they put in 6 QUARTS, then they UNDERFILLED, not OVERFILLED . . . .or am I missing something?!?
Thought 6L meant 6 Quarts. Only holds 4.5 Qts.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My toad needed 2 new tires, took it to a Walmart in AZ this past winter. The guy broke off 2 of the knobs that keep the center cap in place. (It was on when the car went in there shop) And they put different air pressures in each new tire I caught it the next day. Still haven't priced that cap out but they are not cheap, the wheels are just under $1200 a wheel
Never again.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
If the book showed 6L and they put in 6 QUARTS, then they UNDERFILLED, not OVERFILLED . . . .or am I missing something?!?

One liter is 1.057 us liquid quarts, so if the manual called out 6 liters then six quarts would have you somewhat under filled but not harmfully.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Walmart for oil change

6 liters is 6.34 quarts http://www.convertunits.com/from/US+quart/to/liter so if the engine required 6 quarts it was a slight (~6%) overfill, although that could be messy (blowback out the dipstick) it is the safer than under filling it. I still would not use Walmart, go to Speedco!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #34

People seem kind of split... more negatives for WalMart than positive, but I can't help but think there are idiots everywhere you go. We personally wouldn't mind paying more... I think the WalMart convenience is what hooks a lot of RVers, if I were to guess.

We're about eight weeks on the road and soon due for our first oil change since we started fulltiming. Thanks for the info on this thread so far.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think that going to a "reputable" shop covers your exposure to idiots, then you will eventually have a rude awakening!

I recently had a new set of Michelins installed by an outfit that specializes in truck tires, one of only a couple such places in the Phoenix area. I could write a book on the list of mistakes made by these guys, but suffice it to say that it's a good thing I was watching them and knew what to look for. The biggest thing was torquing my M22 bolts to 500 ft/lbs instead of 280-320 as the book calls for.

I rarely let anybody do ANYTHING to my vehicles, as every time I do, I am apalled at their incompetence. Like the time I was out of town and had my wife take her Toyota SUV to the Toyota shop for oil/grease and to replace the belts. I just didn't want to mess with it when I got home. They didn't grease one single zerk! I grew up on a farm greasing equipment, and have no problem telling when a zerk has been greased within the last 6-8 months.

They also charged me for 3 belts, and the vehicle only had two. When I called and told them, the shop foreman didn't want to refund any money on the extra belt since I was pi$$ed and he didn't think I'd be a return customer anyway. (He was right about that). He changed his mind after I wrote a letter to the owner who had several Toyota dealerships in Denver.

I'm just saying..! If you have a good place that you trust, you may be fooling yourself if you don't watch them like a hawk.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Where do most people get oil changes for diesels? Truck stops I would assume.
Jiffy lube will change the oil in a DP.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
If they only had doors tall enough.......
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Jiffy lube will change the oil in a DP.
We've never had any issues with WalMart for our daily driving vehicles (RV was too big) but we've had problems with Jiffy Lube. We wouldn't go there anymore.

Basically, any place can have poor service. No one is perfect.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote