Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Walmart or Rest Area

We will be traveling from Atlanta to Austin Tx Friday, leaving in the afternoon with a stop after 400 miles. Why do most seem to stop at Walmart instead of a Rest Area on the Interstate? It seems to me that a nice Rest where you could park with the Truckers would be easier and just as safe. I am driving a 40ft DP with small trailer.

Thanks Eddie
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rest Area's, State Welcome Centers, any strip mall large parking lot area .... all places we have stopped for the night after 800 to 1k miles driving.

Personal note for us, I don't shop at Walmart so I don't stop in their parking lots. Target, Lowe's, Home Depot are all places that we have parked in for the night. Most close by 8 or 9 pm and don't mind you parking there if they know that you will be leaving early in the morning and you park in the back.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

We have used welcome centers, Flying Js with no problems. Some Walmarts have those height gauges that prevent MHs from entry and also not recommended in some States (FL).

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Seems to me that it's just about 50/50 split on where to park overnight. I have only done it once and it was at a Walmart in Pecos Tx and the DW didn't sleep a wink all night. Needless to say, I keep my hours behind the wheel down to about 6 hours or enough time to find an RV park for the night. Your results may vary.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

I have never stopped overnight at an interstate rest area mainly due to the noise from passing traffic and truckers running their engines. I have stayed at Walmarts a number of times with the permission from the manager. It is quiet and safe and we get in some shopping so they aren't exactly free.

We have several apps on our iPad that identifies Walmart locations with phone numbers so it is easy to call ahead to get permission. We have been told several times to please take our trash with us when we leave so it would appear that some RVers have been slobs and gave the rest of us a bad name. I have read on other threads on this WEB site where some RVers feel it is a right to park overnight at Walmart and this attitude spoils it for the rest of us.

Currently we are wintering west of Austin and we stopped in a Walmart a couple of times as we wondered our way down here.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

I'm not too concerned about the safety, need to pick out a nice place and park in the middle of the Truckers. I have a deadbolt on the door and 45ACP on the night stand.
We are staying at La Hacienda near Austin.
Eddie G
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends of the state. Texas welcomes overnight stays in most of their rest areas. Florida does not allow overnights. 3 hours only.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
I'm not too concerned about the safety, need to pick out a nice place and park in the middle of the Truckers. I have a deadbolt on the door and 45ACP on the night stand.
We are staying at La Hacienda near Austin.
Eddie G
Eddie,

We are at La Hacienda, site C30, give us a shout when you arrive.

Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Eddie,

We are at La Hacienda, site C30, give us a shout when you arrive.

Jack
I will do that. We should arrive Saturday afternoon.

Eddie
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Depends of the state. Texas welcomes overnight stays in most of their rest areas. Florida does not allow overnights. 3 hours only.
Do they have a way to track how long you have been there?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just feel safer in a Wal-Mart parking lot than in a rest stop. Just be sure you have permission from the manager! Also, I can't run in and buy some item I need at 9PM at a rest stop!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #12

VICKSBURG RV PARK.
It is half way!

Inexpensive, $22.50, pleasant, quiet, etc.

If you leave at 7AM you arrive before 4PM with stops. Plenty of time to relax. Lovely place, good meal from the grill, meet the neighbors, a good nights sleep.

http://mobile.ameristar.com/Vicksbur...l_RV_Park.aspx
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
Do they have a way to track how long you have been there?
Florida Troopers patrol them regularly. I doubt that they would throw you out at exactly 180 minutes, but I'm sure they would notice the same RV being there after 5 or 6 hours at 2 a.m.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
We've used Walmart as we are en route somewhere. Rest areas are usually too noisy for me with trucks pulling in and leaving. I also like the fact I can walk around in the store and if I see something I 'need,' buying it sort of pays for overnight parking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote