Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #1

HI all wondering if anyone has stayed in a walmart parking lot overnight? we're going to be taking a trip from New Hampshire to FL in a few weeks, would like to sack out at a walmart if possible....I thought i had seen a website where you could map your trip according to walmarts along the route, anyone know what i'm talking about??
Thanks
twogr8kdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #2

HI all wondering if anyone has stayed in a walmart parking lot overnight? we're going to be taking a trip from New Hampshire to FL in a few weeks, would like to sack out at a walmart if possible....I thought i had seen a website where you could map your trip according to walmarts along the route, anyone know what i'm talking about??
Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #3

I have never stayed at one myself but know many who have and see nothing wrong with an overnight stay. I am pretty sure you can buy an atlas at Walmart that lists all their stores and if camping is OK. Scotty.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Correct. Pretty good Atlas too.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First, welcome to IRV2 and hope you enjoy the site.

Due to the abuse by some RVers, some local governments have passed ordiences to prevent camping at Wal-Mart, so be sure and ask the store manager if it is OK.

Also, remember that Wal-Mart is not a campground and should be used to get a few hours sleep and back on the road. My feeling is stop no earlier than 9 PM and back on the road by 6 AM. Do not set up camp, keep the lawn chairs and grill inside and clean up any mess you make.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #6

Something that you might want to consider is the heat. It maybe okay to stay at camp walmart in the North East this time of the year, but here in the south, you will either have to run your genset all night or put up with the heat if you are planning on a camp walmart stay. Most times this time of the year, the asphalt will hold a lot heat and keep it warm/hot all night. Maybe in the fall or winter, camp walmart would be alright, but this time of the year, I think I would try some roadside CGS, IMHO. Give us your route and maybe some of us could give you some suggestions of a few good CGS on the way down. s/Toby
Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
We do a lot of Walmart when we are going to any of the kids(all over the country). Want to get there quick and easy. Walmart is a good safe haven and gives us a little lee way for driving times. However. A lot of towns in SC along I-95 and many many florida towns, do NOT allow parking at Walmarts. there is a list of Walmarts that do not allow overnights obtainable via e-mail from RVBooksore.com
I recommend it.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:56 AM   #8

We just finished a 4000 mile round trip from Texas to western NY and stayed a total of 4 nights on the road during the trip up and back (stayed 12 days at our destination). I had to get a part at a Camping World in Brunswick, OH & called to confirm it was OK to park there overnight, which it was. We pulled in about 9PM and they opened at 8AM the next morning. Got the part at 8am and we were on our way again. The other three nights we stayed at truck stops and had no problems. We ran the generator and AC all night at the truck stops and were not awakened by the trucks. At the CW in Ohio it was cool and we left the windows open, getting up about 3AM to shut some because it got down to 52 degrees. The truck stops were convienient because I had to fuel with diesel once a day anyway.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #9

Thank you all very much, we will not be "camping" there, just catching a few winks and picking up any necessities at walmart.

thanks so much
Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Twogr8kdz:

My wife and I have stayed at Wal-Marts (Wally World) but we always arrive late and leave shortly after opening or early morning if they are open 24 hours. We have never had a problem and we try to park some where out of the way. I have also stopped at Wal-Marts during the day to catch a power nap. Strange I never needed a power nap until I retired! We always purchase something because they have graciously extended the use of there facility to park the MH and toad for a few hours.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
We do it all the time when we are traveling long distances. On our 11000 mile trip around the country last year (see link in signature) we stayed 9 nights of the 45 total in Walmarts or other free sights. Good pont about the heat, though, we have always been in relatively cool areas/seasons. Have fun!
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #12

Well, I am relatively new to the RV world as I just bought my Class A last year, but have lived in a college town for seven years. There are two 24-hour, super wal-marts here. I can tell you that before EVERY big event (parents weekend, graduation, football games), there are about 20 RV's in the local wal-mart parking lots. All of them park together and well away from the entrances. Not once have I heard any negative comments from either wal-mart or the townies.

To each his own but I spent the night at a wal-mart one time. We arrived a little after midnight and left by 6 am. They were open 24 hours and there was a little security pickup driving around the parking lots with a big yellow rotator light. It was like we were never there...We saved $35 in a campground and my wife bought about $25 in stuff at wal-mart that we needed.

I appreciate the fact that some wal-marts would allow us (the RV community) to park in their lots for a short rest. I would NOT appreciate it if I went to a wal-mart to shop and saw somebody camping in the parking lot; why would anybody?
aghaffari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pat and I spent our first night at a Super Walmart March 2004 in Lantana Florida. We were a little worried at first but Walmart had security all night long.

The next morning I said to Pat that her and I were officially Gypsy's.

Since then we have stayed a dozen nights in route on our travels at Walmarts in Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.
Bob
Old 08-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #14

Wal~Marts & Cracker Barrels Seem RV Friendly... And I have an un-written rule of patronizing establishments that provide me a place to park the Dogs.. :-D

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote