Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Walmart/Rest Area Safety Record - Experiences

After reading another thread I got the impression Walmart and rest areas on the freeway are not the best places to spend the night.

I'm wondering how many people have been accosted while at these places. If so, where. And, how many times did you stay at these sort of locations before you were accosted ?

If you have stayed at these locations without incident, how many times have you stayed at these kinds of places.

I'm not looking to find out how people protect themselves, I don believe in the 2nd amendment. I'm just wonder how often unpleasant or very threatening experiences happen. It might change my habits.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ONLY time I've ever had to show I was prepared NOT to be a victim was at a truck rest stop in Wyoming. Two Spanish speaking men decided I looked like easy pickings I guess. I wasn't and still am not.
Never had a problem at Wal*Mart but there was one self defense shooting at one when a man tried to enter a MH.
We've stayed at Wal*Marts dozens of times.

OP: Sorry you don't believe in the US Constitution.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

You got to be kidding me.You go to a store manager and ask to stay in his lot for FREE and then want to talk about what is safe or not???. What is he to do??. Ignore his store operations and train his cameras only on you??. I think THAT is pretty BOLD on your part while asking for a favor from Walmart.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have never stayed in a WalMart lot.
I did, however, take a report 2 weeks ago from a guy who was staying in the WM parking lot and had a person try to insert a flaming rag into the gas fill on his class C motorhome. Had it worked, it would've crisped him and his 2 friends in the MH.

Sounds like a really good reason to "believe" in the 2nd Amendment to me.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our way back from Orlando we stopped in Antlanta Walmart for an overnight rest and to purchase a bunch of items. It was close to midnight and my wife was tired and wanted to hit the hay. So I went in to the Super Center myself and asked permision to stay overnight as we'd be up and gone by 7:00 AM. They said no problem. I purchased a vacuum, some cleaning supplies and various other items. I'm strolling back to the motorhome with my full cart and this small car comes racing up to me (I'm about 30' away from my motorhome). He has his window down and a cell phone in his hand. He's rambling on anout how his wife was rushed into the hospital to have a baby and he has to get there but has no gas money. He wanted $20.00 for gas. I pulled out my wallet and all I had was a $10.00. He wasn't too happy but he said that will help and took off. (We leave all our money hidden in the motorhome and carry small amounts with us as we need). What got me worried after, I was thinking what if the guy pulled a gun on me and demanded my whole wallet. There goes all my credit cards, debit cards, ID.........everything. After that I told the wife we don't go anywhere without being together all the time. Period.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I am really amazed....One person is worried about their safety but doesn't believe in self protection....HUH?

One person is afraid to go anywhere without his wife ...I assume he believes he is safer if his wife is with him...HUH? She was safer in the motorhome!! If I have to deside fight or flight, I don't want my wife right there in the danger zone....

I intend no offense here but we have to think through and prepare for our safety when crossing parking lots late at night. If hurting your feelings makes you think''''so be it.

I have been "acosted" in both rest areas and Wmart. It is always some shakedown plot to get my money. A dozen times I have heard the old "I am out of gas or my car is broke down". One time in an Alabama rest area I parked next to a fellow motorhomer and walked to the rest room. As I passed the other MH the owner came out and followed behind me. When I came out of the restroom he came up to me and I heard the out of gas line one more time. I can almost tollerate panhandling from a bum but not from a fellow moterhomer. The guy had a $60,000 rig. Even if I gave him money for gas, where was he going to get the gas?

I'll omit the details of our conversation but I think I scared the sheet out on him, because he ran across the the parking lot and drove off. I like to think it was my tuff guy persona but most likely it was my badge and the 2nd amendment tool on my hip. { under my open coat}

BE safe people, PLEASE.......One of the safety measure my wife and I practice is this; if someone enters our "space", she does an about face and walks away a safe distance, while I deal with the person. I usually see them coming before she does ans say "heads up". She knows the drill....That way I don't have her in the situation.

My apologies in advance for any hurt feelings...Gary Hill 25 yr PO retired
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Let me get this right, you want to feel protected, but you don't want to do it yourself. Maybe you should think about keeping a loaded golf club onboard

I never had a problem at a Walmart, truck stop or rest stop and they have never had a problem with me.

When guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
I am really amazed....One person is worried about their safety but doesn't believe in self protection....HUH?

One person is afraid to go anywhere without his wife ...I assume he believes he is safer if his wife is with him...HUH? She was safer in the motorhome!! If I have to deside fight or flight, I don't want my wife right there in the danger zone....

I intend no offense here but we have to think through and prepare for our safety when crossing parking lots late at night. If hurting your feelings makes you think''''so be it.

I have been "acosted" in both rest areas and Wmart. It is always some shakedown plot to get my money. A dozen times I have heard the old "I am out of gas or my car is broke down". One time in an Alabama rest area I parked next to a fellow motorhomer and walked to the rest room. As I passed the other MH the owner came out and followed behind me. When I came out of the restroom he came up to me and I heard the out of gas line one more time. I can almost tollerate panhandling from a bum but not from a fellow moterhomer. The guy had a $60,000 rig. Even if I gave him money for gas, where was he going to get the gas?

I'll omit the details of our conversation but I think I scared the sheet out on him, because he ran across the the parking lot and drove off. I like to think it was my tuff guy persona but most likely it was my badge and the 2nd amendment tool on my hip. { under my open coat}

BE safe people, PLEASE.......One of the safety measure my wife and I practice is this; if someone enters our "space", she does an about face and walks away a safe distance, while I deal with the person. I usually see them coming before she does ans say "heads up". She knows the drill....That way I don't have her in the situation.

My apologies in advance for any hurt feelings...Gary Hill 25 yr PO retired
I was hoping she had the CCW or maybe was the better shot
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
After reading another thread I got the impression Walmart and rest areas on the freeway are not the best places to spend the night.

I'm not looking to find out how people protect themselves, I don believe in the 2nd amendment. I'm just wonder how often unpleasant or very threatening experiences happen. It might change my habits.
My friend...

I'm definitely a lefty but I respect the implications of the 2nd amendment even if I differ with some aspects of its interpretation. However, to say you don't believe in it is to say you don't believe it exists. It does. I also understand if you want a whole lot of heat (Pun intended...not the gun type) brought down on a posting and have it get out of control, keep making antagonistic comments like that.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:

One person is afraid to go anywhere without his wife ...I assume he believes he is safer if his wife is with him...HUH?
It is possible to be against carrying a gun and still be concerned with safety. I feel carrying a gun would give me a false sense of security. IE I would most likely shoot myself in the foot or worse a family member. If some one pulls a gun on me and demands my wallet, what good is a gun doing to do me unless my name is Dirty Harry. Point is that a criminal will not give you the opportunity to use your gun on him. Common sense and being aware of your surroundings is a better defence.

Regarding walking with DW. ....... I prefer that my DW not walk alone at night, safety in numbers. Common sense. Criminals prefer you to be alone as it makes their job easier.

I never pull my wallet out or cash when asked unless its a store merchant. I tell them that I don't carry cash and keep walking. Pulling your wallet out is asking for trouble.

To the Op.... I have never really encountered problems at Walmarts or rest areas in all our years of Rving however I do feel safer at truck stops.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
To answer the question: No, I don't carry a weapon. Did enough of that in the service, thank you.

I have not had the pleasure of WallyParking, yet. However, on my biking days I have been known to roll out my bedroll on top of a picnic table at a rest stop. Guess the bike parked near by kept the hoodlums away.

Over the years I have been approached by more panhandlers than I can count. Usually, I send them away empty handed. A few get my pocket change. Some who look hungry enough get breakfast or lunch.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! Looks like you may have kicked the hornet's nest here, doesn't it! 2nd Amendment rights is a touchy subject. I respect your opinion about not carrying a gun, and I hope you will respect mine when I say that there are very few places I go without one! I would never go to a Wal-Mart, rest stop, or truck stop without one on me! My wife and I are both licensed to carry concealed weapons.
Having said that, I'll say this. I have stayed in Wal-Mart parking lots many times without incident. I would never stay at a rest stop unless there is 24-hour security. Truck stops are too noisy for the DW so we haven't stayed there. When we're staying at a Wal-Mart I never let the DW walk outside alone. Even here in our small town there have been many incidents at Wal-Mart involving women walking alone.
Good luck & God bless!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

OFFICIAL NOTICE! Please drop the Second Amendment debate - it has no place here and the OP specifically stated that he did NOT want to talk about self-protection.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We've stayed at a number of Walmarts, Sams and even A KMart or two. Most of them seem reasonably safe, sometimes with 24 hour patrols (though the fact that a security patrol is needed may give you pause!). But we seldom are near metro areas, so typically aren't in areas where crime or vandalism is more common.

If there were any concern at all, we simply wouldn't stop there and head for a another location or a campground. I like to save a few bucks as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of my peace of mind, let alone a risk of harm.
Closed Thread

Tags
safety