Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Walmarts changing overnight policy? Widespread?

We just returned from a 6 week trip. On the way north, two Walmarts that we have slept at before have changed their overnight policy. Is this widespread?

To our surprise, the Walmart at Dalton GA had signs posted so we kept heading north. We pulled into the Walmart at Kimball TN, and a mall security guy in a pickup with flashing light told us we could not park there. It was close to 2AM.

We went over to the Cracker Barrel in front of the Walmart and found thier RV spaces too hard to get in (33 ft motorhome towing a full size pickup). A Cracker Barrel manager was leaving and told us to go behind the building, which we did and had a good nights sleep (with earplugs because the interstate is close!) followed by Cracker Barrel breakfast!

We have always bought something at Walmart when staying to sleep. I guess they don't want our business at these locations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

I ran into the same thing in Northern IL, WI, and MN on trip to S Dakota....I hear a few "not so nice campers" took advantage of them, so it has ruined it for all...typical
...stayed too long
...left a mess
...old MH's jacked up to do repairs week at a time...
and the list goes on and on
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #3

In addition, many cities have passed ordinances that prohibit overnight camping 'anywhere' within their city." If that's the case then Walmart isn't to blame.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
We just returned from a 6 week trip. On the way north, two Walmarts that we have slept at before have changed their overnight policy. Is this widespread?

To our surprise, the Walmart at Dalton GA had signs posted so we kept heading north. We pulled into the Walmart at Kimball TN, and a mall security guy in a pickup with flashing light told us we could not park there. It was close to 2AM.

We went over to the Cracker Barrel in front of the Walmart and found thier RV spaces too hard to get in (33 ft motorhome towing a full size pickup). A Cracker Barrel manager was leaving and told us to go behind the building, which we did and had a good nights sleep (with earplugs because the interstate is close!) followed by Cracker Barrel breakfast!

We have always bought something at Walmart when staying to sleep. I guess they don't want our business at these locations.
Check for city ordinance changes, I've been told to call ahead to Walmart stores, changes to city ordinances prohibit overnight stays at Walmart's that used to allow it. I don't know if this is wide spread but based on the behavior of half our country it would not surprise me. Lack of manners and human decency in our citizen's is our worst enemy. (Can't believe some of the stuff I've seen)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
This is becoming more common all the time. People who insist it is their right to do whatever they please are p*ssing off their hosts and the hosts are getting tired of it. Very sad.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
In addition, many cities have passed ordinances that prohibit overnight camping 'anywhere' within their city." If that's the case then Walmart isn't to blame.
I work in local government (for 2 more months anyway = "Retirement!") and more often than not this ^ is exactly the case. The larger the City the more likely they are to have an ordinance prohibiting overnight camping anywhere except permissible zones. And more and more small to medium size municipalities are also doing the same thing.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
I ran into the same thing in Northern IL, WI, and MN on trip to S Dakota....I hear a few "not so nice campers" took advantage of them, so it has ruined it for all...typical
...stayed too long
...left a mess
...old MH's jacked up to do repairs week at a time...
and the list goes on and on
Re the Northern Illinois Walmarts: Our local (Glen Ellyn, IL) Walmart no longer allows overnight parking of any kind. Actually, it is because of a village ordinance brought about by the large amount of semis that would park there overnight. At times there were a dozen trucks idling away in that parking lot, which is right next to a residential area. I seldom saw RVs there.
I imagine the neighbors complained to the village about the noise and diesel stink, can't say I blame them.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

Good! I was at Wal-Mart in my town yesterday. There was Cab-over camper on a piece of crap truck with the hood up and things tied all over it. A 1970s Winnebago that looked like it didn't run, and a 1980's Dodge camper van. I would bet anything none of these people are on vacation. I'm sorry for the legitimate people that use wal-mart for an over night stay. But I don't want to see this junk every time I go shopping. Sorry but I'll gladly pay for an overnight stay if it means I don't have see this kind of stuff in my town.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've used WM's when enroute to distances longer than we want to drive in 1 shot. I use Allstays to check but always call to verify it's OK to overnight. Same as the OP, a couple we've stayed at before now no longer allow overnight parking for RV's due to abuse by former overnighters.

It is sad because we usually spend over $100 stocking up on supplies (more expensive than any RV park reservation we've had!). If it isn't due to an ordinance, I'm sorry the store no longer accepts us & it's the result of the inconsiderate people that lead to their decision.

Lori-
Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Good! I was at Wal-Mart in my town yesterday. There was Cab-over camper on a piece of crap truck with the hood up and things tied all over it. A 1970s Winnebago that looked like it didn't run, and a 1980's Dodge camper van. I would bet anything none of these people are on vacation. I'm sorry for the legitimate people that use wal-mart for an over night stay. But I don't want to see this junk every time I go shopping. Sorry but I'll gladly pay for an overnight stay if it means I don't have see this kind of stuff in my town.

Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly the kind of life these folks have been dreaming of living since the 8th grade. You know, leave the McMansion with the maid and gardner and go slumming with the un-choiced houseless.

/sarc, satire, other literary devices

I'm not saying this is desirable from either a private property or social policy perspective.

Thank your lucky stars or the god/goddess of your choice that you were blessed with enough of 'whatever it took' to get you where you are right now. Have compassion for strangers and offer them hospitality. The original Samaritans were travelers, too.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly the kind of life these folks have been dreaming of living since the 8th grade. You know, leave the McMansion with the maid and gardner and go slumming with the un-choiced houseless.

/sarc, satire, other literary devices

I'm not saying this is desirable from either a private property or social policy perspective.

Thank your lucky stars or the god/goddess of your choice that you were blessed with enough of 'whatever it took' to get you where you are right now. Have compassion for strangers and offer them hospitality. The original Samaritans were travelers, too.
First off I'm not blessed with the things I have, I earned everything I have. Yes there are a lot of people, families that for one reason or another have fallen on hard times. But that doesn't give them the right to park their crap where we all see it. Then when they leave, theirs a nice pile of garbage because they were to lazy to walk to the garbage can. I love my little town that we live in, but guess what the first thing you see when you pass the City limit sign, Wal-marts campers right in plane view from the HWY. So no I don't have compassion for these people. For a lot of years I was maybe a pay check away from being homeless, and I'm grateful it never happened. But I assure you if it did and I found myself homeless or living in a beat up RV I wouldn't abuse it. I wouldn't park right out in the open with my crappy vehicle, I wouldn't leave garbage on the ground or in a shopping cart, I wouldn't let my dog run around the parking lot. Sorry but in my world it doesn't matter how much $$$ you have, it's how you act, or how you treat others and their property.
Tell me do you think Wal-Mart is changing there overnight policy because people on this forum abused it? NO
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Yep, seen that, not WM's fault.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
First off I'm not blessed with the things I have, I earned everything I have. Yes there are a lot of people, families that for one reason or another have fallen on hard times. But that doesn't give them the right to park their crap where we all see it. Then when they leave, theirs a nice pile of garbage because they were to lazy to walk to the garbage can. I love my little town that we live in, but guess what the first thing you see when you pass the City limit sign, Wal-marts campers right in plane view from the HWY. So no I don't have compassion for these people. For a lot of years I was maybe a pay check away from being homeless, and I'm grateful it never happened. But I assure you if it did and I found myself homeless or living in a beat up RV I wouldn't abuse it. I wouldn't park right out in the open with my crappy vehicle, I wouldn't leave garbage on the ground or in a shopping cart, I wouldn't let my dog run around the parking lot. Sorry but in my world it doesn't matter how much $$$ you have, it's how you act, or how you treat others and their property.
Tell me do you think Wal-Mart is changing there overnight policy because people on this forum abused it? NO

I think you missed my 3rd paragraph.

The general disregard for the property of WalMart or anyone else kind enough to grant temporary trespass is not specific to the previously homed. Have you ever owned rental property? If so, you'll understand why I asked...

Even in sticks and bricks homes there is no shortage of owners who don't keep up their property in the manner others do. That some of *those folks* are similarly negligent in the upkeep and general good-neighborliness is unfortunate... and again I think this is where you (and (I) got more of "whatever it is" than they did. Commons sense, decency, civil behavior... the name isn't especially important... but some folks don't have that in spite of mom's best efforts or efforts of society.

Do I *want* to look at that? Not really, but does not seeing it make it go away? No. Does passing an overnight camping law fix homelessness, addiction and/or poverty? No.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I think you missed my 3rd paragraph.

The general disregard for the property of WalMart or anyone else kind enough to grant temporary trespass is not specific to the previously homed. Have you ever owned rental property? If so, you'll understand why I asked...

Even in sticks and bricks homes there is no shortage of owners who don't keep up their property in the manner others do. That some of *those folks* are similarly negligent in the upkeep and general good-neighborliness is unfortunate... and again I think this is where you (and (I) got more of "whatever it is" than they did. Commons sense, decency, civil behavior... the name isn't especially important... but some folks don't have that in spite of mom's best efforts or efforts of society.

Do I *want* to look at that? Not really, but does not seeing it make it go away? No. Does passing an overnight camping law fix homelessness, addiction and/or poverty? No.
I guess I did miss it.
My county is recovering from a devastating wild fire last year. So now we have more RV'S (Homeless people) then I've ever seen in this county, I've been here for 47 years. I feel for these people, I hope I'm never in their shoes, We donated a good chunk of $ last year specifically designated for fire victims in my county. But I'm so tired of the people who think that because they got dealt a bad hand, that entitles them to CRAP anywhere they choose. As far as helping out, If I gave $ to every person who either asked or held a sign at the stop light I would go broke.
Anyway I guess it hit me wrong because I'm tired of looking at the mess at my local Wal-Mart.
Closed Thread