Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #127

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When someone talks about being able to park and sleep overnight in their RV where it's illegal, under the pretense of "I'm just resting," it just doesn't fly with me. In my opinion, a discussion of the legalities of Overnight RV Parking isn't the place for "word games" that may well lead someone else into being ticketed, evicted from a parking location, having their RV towed to impound, or all three.

But then, since I run a website devoted to Overnight RV Parking, and where it is and isn't allowed, I probably take this topic a lot more seriously than some folks do.
Jim time to lighten up, one thing, there is a vast difference between Criminal Law and property use regulation/ordinance. I don't profess to know about the State laws, but in Canada the difference does exist and is enforced by two totally different groups. Simply put (Police act on Criminal offenses including contraventions of the Motor Vehicle Act which is considered criminal both on public and private property) (Property and BY-Law regulatory officials employed by planning commissions enforce property ordnance and the By-Laws) These officials are not Police, they work 9 to 5 and serve notices at the request of Town or City administration, they do not have the power of arrest or seizure, that alone is a Police power and the only ones empowered to enforce it.
Now IF a property owner OR a By-law official Requests you to move on and you refuse, they can and will call the Police (who may not be to happy about being called on the matter) and will also inform you that you are contravening a Private or city ordnance, and order you to leave, if you do that's the end of it. If you are silly enough to refuse, then (don't worry about the ticket, you're in much deeper that that) You then can be arrested and your vehicle towed. There is only one authority that can act on a criminal offense and that is the Police. On my property I can put up a "No Trespassing sign" and the only way it can be enforced is by the Police. The same goes for private parking lots regardless of city ordinances. Public or street parking, well that's definitely a Police matter no arguments. Anyway that's how it is here.

I can't conceive of anyone being so stupid as to refuse to move on for any reason when first asked. ("Gee I didn't notice the sign and we just stopped for a rest" will usually break any tension and help keep it civil, then you move on and everyone is happy). Works for me! haven't been ticketed or towed yet. There was only once we didn't move on when a raving lunatic wanted us moved or towed, seems he didn't control the property we were parked on and the security lads told him so. I guess they figured we were ok when I picked up after the dog dumped a load. I know they were watching.

Cheers
Willey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
I spend a lot of money at Walmart the same as a lot of RVers. I don't care what others do with their RVs on Walmart property, because it is none of my business. If it doesn't bother Walmart, then it should not bother you. If Walmart pay me to "police" others on thier property, then my opinion will change. Some Walmarts do restrict RV parking... one should always respect thier rules. This will make it nice for all RVers who may want to spend a few overnight hours on Walmart property.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #129

WOW! I just love reading the Wal-Mart "Camping/Parking" threads. So much anger and pettiness. It amazes me how some folks dislike the thought of staying overnight in a parking lot so much, that they think everyone should dislike it as well. If you don't want to stay in a parking lot, then fine. If you do like to stay in parking lots, then fine. It's kinda like in some places it's a big no-no to dump grey water on the ground but in other places you are actually encouraged to dump it on the ground. Personally, I am uncomfortable doing that even when allowed as I'm from an area where is is not allowed. And I wouldn't generally dump most grey water. There may be a time when I find that I may need to in an area where it is allowed.... but that's another thread altogether.

We stayed in parking lots for the first time while traveling from NC to NM (and then from NM to TX). We also ate up a lot of parking space in the process. We stayed in one campground while traveling. It was a COE and we had to park our bus (towing our jeep) in a boat parking area because there simply wasn't room to park the Class C, Stacey's Jeep, the hot dog cart and a 40 ft school bus "moving van" towing a jeep on a campsite. You should have seen the look on the park volunteers face when we pulled up. They were nice about it but I'm glad we didn't try staying in any other campgrounds, particularly private ones. Personally I prefer staying in Sam's Club parking lots. It's great. We roll in, show our member card, ask permission to stay the night and make sure we've parked in an okay spot (they're always so happy to let us stay... I'm not kidding, they seem so tickled about it). We get everything settled in. Decide what we want for supper (rotisserie chicken, BBQ ribs or pizza... all of which is already cooked and yummy) and buy a little fruit (about 5 lbs... never lasts more than a day or two at best) and get a decent nights sleep. Get up the next morning, refuel at the gas station (if lucky we can get diesel too) and head out. At Flying J (1 time) we asked to park, got fuel, dumped holding tanks, refilled fresh water, ate supper and breakfast (we liked the Flying J buffet... you wouldn't believe how much Stacey can eat and she weighs between 90 & 100lbs). I don't think we are "freeloading" at any of the places we stay at. We also ask permission. Not once has anyone hesitated to say yes. Now I may not be the smartest person on this board, but if we ASK PERMISSION and the place says YES... I'm pretty sure that means it's okay that we park there.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #130
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
... We also ask permission. Not once has anyone hesitated to say yes. Now I may not be the smartest person on this board, but if we ASK PERMISSION and the place says YES... I'm pretty sure that means it's okay that we park there.
Lorna, it will almost always mean that it's ok, provided that you ask someone who's in a position to grant permission on behalf of the business. I've read a lot of messages from RVers who asked permission from a Walmart Greeter or the kid who gathers up shopping carts, and parked overnight based on what they were told, only to be ticketed or evicted by local police in the middle of the night.

So I agree -- always ask permission before parking overnight on business property. But I want to remind our fellow RVers to be sure to ask permission from a person who knows the store's policy and is in a position to both state that policy to the public, and grant permission if the policy permits it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #131

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
WOW! I just love reading the Wal-Mart "Camping/Parking" threads. So much anger and pettiness. It amazes me how some folks dislike the thought of staying overnight in a parking lot so much, that they think everyone should dislike it as well. If you don't want to stay in a parking lot, then fine. If you do like to stay in parking lots, then fine.
Ya know I often wonder if some of the "no slide" police are anti WM parking [moderator edit] who want us to be cramped so we will go to a camp ground to spread out. Ok before the flames start I know that some are concerned that setting up "camp" may get all of us kicked out.

I agree with Lorna It's between me and the management if I stay overnight or not. And yes I use my slides, jacks (provided no damage occurs), and my genny. I arrive at dinner time and leave after breakfast. This is my home away from home when on my way to a destination not a wilderness cabin. I like my creature comforts when i am on the road.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, folks, please take a minute and review the Community Rules before starting with the name calling. It's not allowed here on iRV2.

Rusty
Old 12-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #133

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If and when I get to the point of being "dangerously tired," I am going to stop driving. Period. Rest stop, Walmart, Flying J, campground, friend's driveway, wherever... I am going to stop the vehicle, and catch some sleep before killing myself, my family, or anyone else. I will ask permission where applicable, and once rested I'll be on my way towards my destination.

If approached by law enforcement, I will explain it to them in exactly those terms. If they choose to ticket me for it, I'll pay it. It sure beats killing somebody.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Big Dan, I couldn't agree more! When tired pull off the road ASAP!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #135
doc

Appalachian Campers
Could someone pass the popcorn? This is better than a movie and don't cost anything.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #136

Freightliner Owners Club
DITO Rush!

How is your Damon doing,have you tried out WalMart yet?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
WOW! I just love reading the Wal-Mart "Camping/Parking" threads. So much anger and pettiness. It amazes me how some folks dislike the thought of staying overnight in a parking lot so much, that they think everyone should dislike it as well. If you don't want to stay in a parking lot, then fine. If you do like to stay in parking lots, then fine. It's kinda like in some places it's a big no-no to dump grey water on the ground but in other places you are actually encouraged to dump it on the ground. Personally, I am uncomfortable doing that even when allowed as I'm from an area where is is not allowed. And I wouldn't generally dump most grey water. There may be a time when I find that I may need to in an area where it is allowed.... but that's another thread altogether.

We stayed in parking lots for the first time while traveling from NC to NM (and then from NM to TX). We also ate up a lot of parking space in the process. We stayed in one campground while traveling. It was a COE and we had to park our bus (towing our jeep) in a boat parking area because there simply wasn't room to park the Class C, Stacey's Jeep, the hot dog cart and a 40 ft school bus "moving van" towing a jeep on a campsite. You should have seen the look on the park volunteers face when we pulled up. They were nice about it but I'm glad we didn't try staying in any other campgrounds, particularly private ones. Personally I prefer staying in Sam's Club parking lots. It's great. We roll in, show our member card, ask permission to stay the night and make sure we've parked in an okay spot (they're always so happy to let us stay... I'm not kidding, they seem so tickled about it). We get everything settled in. Decide what we want for supper (rotisserie chicken, BBQ ribs or pizza... all of which is already cooked and yummy) and buy a little fruit (about 5 lbs... never lasts more than a day or two at best) and get a decent nights sleep. Get up the next morning, refuel at the gas station (if lucky we can get diesel too) and head out. At Flying J (1 time) we asked to park, got fuel, dumped holding tanks, refilled fresh water, ate supper and breakfast (we liked the Flying J buffet... you wouldn't believe how much Stacey can eat and she weighs between 90 & 100lbs). I don't think we are "freeloading" at any of the places we stay at. We also ask permission. Not once has anyone hesitated to say yes. Now I may not be the smartest person on this board, but if we ASK PERMISSION and the place says YES... I'm pretty sure that means it's okay that we park there.
Thanks for a good comments. I like using Sam's Club lots also.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #138

First of all, I've never camped or rested ovrnight at Walmart, Flying J, or any other parking lot. The need just hasn't ever arrived. However, if it does, I would do it to avoid problems with driving on and posibily causing an accident. I would surely ask permission before I would even consider parking my rig for the night or a few hours. Unfortunatly, I need to extend my slide to get to the bathroom. But, I would hopefully be allowed to park in a spot where my slide would not interfere with traffic flow. And, I would not overstay my welcome, and leave the lot the same or better than the way I found it.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #139

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just trying to clear up some myths.

Not all Walmarts have outside security.
Where outside security is available the parking lot security people are above min. wage employees who are told to specifically not to get involved in a conflict , just as a cashier is not to chase a robber out the door. They just report a problem if they see it..
WM parking lot cameras are usually not monitored, they just record for use in prosecution.
A large number of WMs are built on land leased in a shopping center development, where the developer is responsible for parking lot maintenance and repair.
The parking areas are not built to the same specifications (weight holding) as the entrance, exit, and loading dock areas. Trucks must enter and unload in specific areas.
Very few WM lots have an area designated for RV or truck parking, ( striped with adequate access like Cracker Barrel and Flying J ) which could be taken as invite to stay overnight.
No overnight parking signs can be posted buy the shopping center developer to save the lot (can't tell if jacks will damage the lot until after they are down and asphalt is dimpled or cracked or is the lot going to hold that 35000# DP before you drive on it) or can be required by zoning regulations, or be a requirement for site approval to please the neighbors. They also might be recommended by local police to alleviate a problem or not let one start. The municipality may have a tax or fee on hotel, motel, and/or campground nights occupied as a way to generate revenue. ( especially in resort areas )

Nowhere have I stated not to use WM lots for whatever you want to call it, but it's time to stop assuming a WM lot is a safe haven to overnight and blaming the local CG owner because you can't overnight on someone else's personal property.

Remember WM works on 2.5 / 3.5 % net profit margin so for that hundred you just spent they made $3

George
Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
The campground owners are mostly responsible for city ordinances prohibiting overnight parking and the Police only act when called. Not to hard to figure out who's doing the calling. We stayed at a walmart the other day in Daytona Florida with about 10 other RVs and we all got kicked out at 530 am. I was already awake when I heard the officer knocking on doors. He told me that Walmart called. My opinion is that some local campground owner passing by called. I asked the officer the reason for the city ordinance prohibiting overnight parking and he said it was because they didn't want walmarts to become campgrounds. The officer was very polite and apologetic for waking people in the middle of the night but he had no choice. We relocated to a truck stop down the road for a couple of hours and then checked into a campground. I understand a law is a law and must be obeyed however it is unsafe to wake up a dozen campers at 5 am and tell them to hit the highways tired. These city ordinances need to be challenged because it is unsafe to drive tired and not everyone checks into campgrounds during daylight hours which are very short this time of year.

Tags
camping