Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #1415

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
Has anyone stayed at a WM because of a reservation mixup and you couldn't get into a popular resort campground or you just didn't make reservations and there was no room at the end or a campground that used to be there was suddenly closed?
Back a few years ago about the first part of October we were traveling from Rapid City, SD to Tucson, AZ. We stopped in this popular southwest city and discovered there was annual event scheduled to start the next day and it just so happened to be on our bucket list.

We called around to various RV parks and quickly found that there would be “no room at the inn” anywhere in the area unless you had reservation. Obviously this event wasn't just on our bucket list. So we drove to a Wal-Mart about 40 miles from the event.

We were amazed when we drove into the parking lot to see about 20 other RV's not counting the truckers. Our first thought was to move on but since we were already there we might as well go talk to the manager. We explained our situation and asked if we could stay the night. Without hesitation he said sure, no problem, just park on the outskirts of the parking lot and don't block traffic. The parking lot was huge made even larger by the lack of the usual barriers that separate the lots of the adjoining stores.

To make a long story short, with the permission of the manager, we stayed a week and had one of the best times of our fulltiming experience to date. At the end of our stay we went back into the store to thank the manager for his gracious hospitality and apologize for any inconvenience. He said it's no inconvenience at all our bottom line is always it's highest this time of year.

Did we take advantage of the situation? I would say we did but for some reason staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot with the permission of the manager added to the overall experience. At the end of the day there was always a group of RV'ers available to discuss the day's activities.

Oh, one other thing. I'll bet you can't guess what event we were attending.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #1416

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Back a few years ago about the first part of October we were traveling from Rapid City, SD to Tucson, AZ. We stopped in this popular southwest city and discovered there was annual event scheduled to start the next day and it just so happened to be on our bucket list.

We called around to various RV parks and quickly found that there would be “no room at the inn” anywhere in the area unless you had reservation. Obviously this event wasn't just on our bucket list. So we drove to a Wal-Mart about 40 miles from the event.

We were amazed when we drove into the parking lot to see about 20 other RV's not counting the truckers. Our first thought was to move on but since we were already there we might as well go talk to the manager. We explained our situation and asked if we could stay the night. Without hesitation he said sure, no problem, just park on the outskirts of the parking lot and don't block traffic. The parking lot was huge made even larger by the lack of the usual barriers that separate the lots of the adjoining stores.

To make a long story short, with the permission of the manager, we stayed a week and had one of the best times of our fulltiming experience to date. At the end of our stay we went back into the store to thank the manager for his gracious hospitality and apologize for any inconvenience. He said it's no inconvenience at all our bottom line is always it's highest this time of year.

Did we take advantage of the situation? I would say we did but for some reason staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot with the permission of the manager added to the overall experience. At the end of the day there was always a group of RV'ers available to discuss the day's activities.

The biggest thing I can think of around here is the Gem & Mineral show but that's in February. The Walmart in Marana (NW Tucson) always has a few overnighters and there is a Starbucks next to it so you can wi-fi as well. When we travel I often like to drive at night as everything seems to run better and cooler, I also like to stay off the beaten path so for convience a walmart is often the best choice late at night. As you said " behave like a guest" after all we all are just guests on this planet.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #1417

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We stop overnight at Walmart whenever it is convenient I will add a picture as soon as I look up how
Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1418

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I saw this several years ago on another forum; can't remember the website. It was funny then and it is funny now. By now they have built a Walmart where the tree used to be!
OH! My bad, I thought this WAS a WM parking lot...
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #1419

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hopefully this is a picture of us parked at a walmart.We were not alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	10284  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #1420

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Robert View Post
The biggest thing I can think of around here is the Gem & Mineral show but that's in February. The Walmart in Marana (NW Tucson) always has a few overnighters and there is a Starbucks next to it so you can wi-fi as well. When we travel I often like to drive at night as everything seems to run better and cooler, I also like to stay off the beaten path so for convience a walmart is often the best choice late at night. As you said " behave like a guest" after all we all are just guests on this planet.
Nope. We weren't in Arizona yet.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #1421

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N Deb View Post
Hi Bob,
I found that Wal-Mart is very accommodating in BC even for those stores with smaller parking lots.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #1422

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N Deb View Post
OMG!

I count at least SEVEN entitlement claiming, no-account, cheapskate, freeloaders in that picture...

STOP THE PRESSES
  • POST YOUR OUTRAGE ON THE INTERNET
  • CALL THE MEDIA
  • CALL YOUR LOCAL CITY COUNCIL
  • CALL YOUR CONGRESSMEN
  • CALL THE WALTON FAMILY
    (Oh Yea, I forgot, the Walton family invited them )
For those who don't quite understand "sarcasm"...The preceeding is a

JOKE

So don't get Ur knickers in a bunch

I "park" at WM on almost every trip!

OMG I am an entitlement claiming, no-account, cheapskate, freeloader too! I was sooooo deluded!
And here I thought I was just a value minded, contentious, CUSTOMER and GUEST of the Walton Family...WHEW! I am so glad for that intervention...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #1423

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

All those Hot air baloons are a sight to see in that great state of N.M.
Did u take a few rides???
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #1424

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Nope. We weren't in Arizona yet.
Hope it was an Octoberfest!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #1425

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary - K7GLD: And your point is ?

Kerry
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #1426

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
Hope it was an Octoberfest!
Nope, but I think your zeroing in. I'll give another clue on the next guess.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #1427

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Nope, but I think your zeroing in. I'll give another clue on the next guess.
Has to be the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #1428

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Well DAMN - there goes another USA-American "Entitlement" down the drain...
Good to see you're coming around, Gary. It IS a shame to see the Wal-Mart entitlement of doing business the way they see fit go "down the drain." It's a wonder ANY business can make it with all the government interference and restrictions placed on them. We really need a few more busy-bodies imposing their ideas on Wal-Mart and other businesses of how they should conduct themselves.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping