Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #1541
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
I guess I should have said there are no rules and there are no "guidelines." Just because some group makes up a bunch of "guidelines" or rules, doesn't mean they have any say in how Wal-Mart does business or how individual RV'ers park their RV. Common sense dictates "good manners" and the safekeeping of the individuals RV and the ground upon which it is sitting. I just don't understand why anyone wants to try to tell someone else how to conduct themselves. It's a private RV on private property, that's it. I understand the need to be as inconspicuous as possible and doing no damage. I presume others posses the same common sense as I. If they don't, it's up to management to let them know about it, not other private individuals.
Sounds like a plan to me.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #1542

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Consider the word "camping." It should be "parking." When slides are out, jacks are down, and as stated in the article, people are partying, then that is camping and should not be allowed.
Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure why you would group "partying" with slides and jacks. Seems like two separate issues. I put my jacks down just about everywhere I go if I'm going to be more than an hour or so. Gotta keep the frig level, ya know. I also put my slide out if I intend to spend the night. Neither of those constitutes "camping." It's an RV and when you ask to spend the night in an RV I'm sure management understands the vehicle will be used as an RV. I suppose different people have different ideas of what does constitute camping, but it seems management should be the final judge, dontcha think?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #1543

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
When overnight parking is not allowed most RVers just move on to the next town;
The town loses, the stores lose, the campgrounds that think the RVers will stay with them are only kidding themselves,
from that time on, most RVers simply bypass that town.
Perfect example:
Some states charge out of staters extra to stay in there state parks; most seasoned travelers simply bypass those states (including myself)

Pa. is on of those states; only stayed in one of there state parks one time, even though I have kine folks that live there that I visit.
penny wise dollar poor
Well Said!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #1544
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure why you would group "partying" with slides and jacks. Seems like two separate issues. I put my jacks down just about everywhere I go if I'm going to be more than an hour or so. Gotta keep the frig level, ya know. I also put my slide out if I intend to spend the night. Neither of those constitutes "camping." It's an RV and when you ask to spend the night in an RV I'm sure management understands the vehicle will be used as an RV. I suppose different people have different ideas of what does constitute camping, but it seems management should be the final judge, dontcha think?
Hi Phil... I didn't read Wayne's post as equating jacks and slides with partying... rather that if the slides out and the jacks are down AND people are also partying.... etc. FWIW

Also, on other subjects we seem to claim that our RVs are motor vehicles when we're driving them down the road but when our jacks are down and slides are out it becomes our HOME and brings with it all the legal protections of being in our own home bring. That could lead one to equate jacks and slides with "camping". I'm just saying.....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #1545

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
This happened in eastern Canada. City ordnances preventing Wallydocking.... Rvers bypassed the area and business suffered to a point where they had to reverse the parking ordinances.. I stay overnight in towns that allow Wally docking and give them my business ie fuel, food. The towns that do not allow overnighting I simply plan the trip so that I will roll on by during the day and with the size of motor home tanks its easy to bypass a large area.
Yep, couldn't agree more!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #1546

Quote:
I guess I should have said there are no rules and there are no "guidelines." Just because some group makes up a bunch of "guidelines" or rules, doesn't mean they have any say in how Wal-Mart does business or how individual RV'ers park their RV. Common sense dictates "good manners" and the safekeeping of the individuals RV and the ground upon which it is sitting. I just don't understand why anyone wants to try to tell someone else how to conduct themselves. It's a private RV on private property, that's it. I understand the need to be as inconspicuous as possible and doing no damage. I presume others posses the same common sense as I. If they don't, it's up to management to let them know about it, not other private individuals.
There is some folks that just can't live without rules; made up or otherwise.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
There is some folks that just can't live without rules; made up or otherwise.
Yeah, it's a good thing that the "Wally World Parking Police" (not assoiatited with Wal*mart Stores, by the way!) are not in charge of overnights at Wal*Mart!

If so, I might have to wash my rig just to get some rest!

H

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #1548

Vintage RV Owners Club
There's an old thread here about a guy who'd been living for months in a Wal-Mart lot. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/parki...ths-53067.html
I agree that local RV parks are often behind anti-us ordinances, etc. But I think this kind of thing (if true) fuels local opposition, too.

That having been said, has everybody seen the You-Tube video "Living at Wal-Mart"?
This thread is so long I didn't hunt through it to see if it's already been posted, but it's a real hoot!
And I'm pretty sure it's a gag...

I'll stick it in here just in case. I guess if it's repetitious the Mods can take it down!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #1549

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
And there was a town in Montana that abandoned their no overnight parking law after RV owners mounted a campaign.
Yes, and as I recall it was a KOA owner that was leading the charge and testifying before the city/town council as an advocate for an ordnance. It's hard to believe that someone who made their living from RV'ers would bad mouth them as bad as she did at these meetings. That's why I never stay at a KOA.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #1550

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

All one family parked at the Super Wal-Mart in Tiftonia, outside of Chattanooga TN.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #1551
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm! Wonder why she's hiding?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #1552
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
That having been said, has everybody seen the You-Tube video "Living at Wal-Mart"?
This thread is so long I didn't hunt through it to see if it's already been posted, but it's a real hoot!
;
Thanks for sharing. That is a real hoot... and pretty well done.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #1553

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post

All one family parked at the Super Wal-Mart in Tiftonia, outside of Chattanooga TN.
They post on RVforum.net, good people.
J
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #1554

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It surprises me because I don't believe it.

Yes, evey little bit adds up but I don't believe that there are enough RVers bypassing "no WalMart overnight parking" towns to make the entire town "really hurt".

On any given night I'm guessing there are between 3 and 10 RVs in a Walmart parking lot and having those folks drive on by won't have a big impact on a town.

Rick

It does hurt a small town in a remote area where sawmills are shut down and unemployment is at an all time high. Tourism is a major source of income in places like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping