Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1835
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
A point of interest here; I wrote a letter to the highway police headquarters in North Cacolina and asked about parking overnight with an RV in the state rest stops.
Heres the info I received from the police headquarters: This was signed by the chief himself;
Parking is permited from sundown to sun up.
Thank you for this information! It differs from what is (or at least was) published on the NC DOT website. I'll dig deeper. I may be able to change my North Carolina Rest Area listings from "NO" to "YES" for Overnight RV Parking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #1836
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And again I ask: But, how do YOU KNOW that they haven't gotten permission to stay more than one night and put their slides out?
You never answered that.
There are indeed RVers who park overnight in a Walmart lot for more than one night, with permission from the store to do so. I've stayed two nights in a Walmart lot on one occasion, and I had permission from the manager.

There are indeed RVers who use slides in a Walmart parking lot. I've also done that, after getting permission from the store and after ensuring that my slide will extend over an area with no auto or pedestrian traffic.

But I have also been told by RVers that they have parked at Walmarts without permission. I've been told by RVers that they try to park as close to the store as possible because parking at the outer edge of the lot means they have to walk farther than they want to. I've been told (wrongly) by RVers that you can park (or even camp!) for as long as you want in every Walmart lot. I've also been told by Walmart managers that they have changed their store policy to No Overnight RV Parking because of abuses such as these.

None of us knows what any other RVer has permission from the store to do. It's up to each of us, individually, to obtain permission from the store, and to park within the scope of that permission.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #1837
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Since I suggested a pic contest on Wally Dockers a ways back I have not seen one parked at our local Walmart to snap a shot of. Wonder if it's a Utah thing to not park there?
It's not a state-by-state thing, it's a store-by-store thing. Your local store may not allow Overnight RV Parking, either by manager decision or by local ordinance. If the store does allow it, your local store may be less convenient for RVers than another store.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #1838
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

So someone's going around sticking their nose in what is between Wal*Mart and what they allow on their property?
There's too much meddling like that already in this world!!
Not meddling, just stating facts:
  1. There are many RVers, and I've spoken to quite a few, who believe that they can park overnight at any Walmart, and who think that they do not need the store's permission to do so.
  2. Walmart's corporate policy is that an RVer must obtain permission from the store before parking overnight in the parking lot.
Nobody is meddling with what Walmart allows on their property. The store manager sets the Overnight RV Parking policy for his or her store, within the scope of local laws. Period.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #1839

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant View Post
Not meddling, just stating facts:
  1. There are many RVers, and I've spoken to quite a few, who believe that they can park overnight at any Walmart, and who think that they do not need the store's permission to do so.
  2. Walmart's corporate policy is that an RVer must obtain permission from the store before parking overnight in the parking lot.
Nobody is meddling with what Walmart allows on their property. The store manager sets the Overnight RV Parking policy for his or her store, within the scope of local laws. Period.
You guys scared the begebies out of me. We are planning on staying one night next week in a Walmart in ME. This is our very first stay at a Walmart. I called the store today. I said I just wanted to make sure I had permission to park overnight. The VERY nice lady said, "Of course you do, come on down!, Just pull in and park where all the other RV's are."

So at least for this store, it's not the big deal made out in this thread.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #1840
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
You guys scared the begebies out of me. We are planning on staying one night next week in a Walmart in ME. This is our very first stay at a Walmart. I called the store today. I said I just wanted to make sure I had permission to park overnight. The VERY nice lady said, "Of course you do, come on down!, Just pull in and park where all the other RV's are."

So at least for this store, it's not the big deal made out in this thread.
The "big deal" is that not everyone knows they need permission. Getting permission is almost never a "big deal." In my experience, parking overnight at Walmarts and telephoning stores to learn their policy for my website, most stores are very friendly and welcoming. This is also borne out by the updates that I get from my subscribers -- there are a lot more updates that talk about "friendly and welcoming" stores than about bad experiences.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #1841
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Please remember its also a local ordinance in some cities and towns most are from RV parks complaining with the council who think they are loosing business, but it dose not hurt to ask its better then being woke up from a sound sleep saying you have to move or be fined, the best time is like I do it we go in and shop then with the basket with bags in it I find the Manager and ask. they have never refused a one night stay and cracker barral is the same way. we have the same few places we stop when we are leaving town during the week I dont have to fight rush hour and can even stay for breakfast because its still nice and early.

Have safe travels everyone.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #1842

Some Cities do have Ordinances against camping in the City. The City I work for does. However we leave Walmart along and let people stay there unless they stay to long. Walmart is pretty good about policing itself. I have never stayed at a Walmart but I am glad it is there if I need it.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #1843

I know of one city near Nashville that has a person from the Codes department swing through the WalMart parking lot each day, jotting tag numbers. If he finds you there a third consecutive day, he asks you to leave. I was there for one night only, but had the conversation with the Codes guy. He was very hospitable in my conversation with him...up until that third day, I suppose.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #1844

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHingFun
I know of one city near Nashville that has a person from the Codes department swing through the WalMart parking lot each day, jotting tag numbers. If he finds you there a third consecutive day, he asks you to leave. I was there for one night only, but had the conversation with the Codes guy. He was very hospitable in my conversation with him...up until that third day, I suppose.
I don't get it. What does one do for entertainment in a Walmart parking lot for three days? Is that a popular vacation spot or are they living there?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #1845

Quote:
I don't get it. What does one do for entertainment in a Walmart parking lot for three days? Is that a popular vacation spot or are they living there?
Shopping.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #1846

Quote:
Thank you for this information! It differs from what is (or at least was) published on the NC DOT website. I'll dig deeper. I may be able to change my North Carolina Rest Area listings from "NO" to "YES" for Overnight RV Parking.
As I said in my post; if there is a highway potrol car in the parking lot approch him very carefully and ask his name; If its TR Jones he is the one that I had the problem with; even though I was informed from the headquarters I could stay there overnight; I would stay there with an eye open for TR Jones he is a really bad one and he hates RVs.
Even though I was given permission in writing I could stay overnight in the rest stops; I won't; just because of TR Jones.
He's the type that give the police a bad rap.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #1847

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
They would be staying there multiple days for the very same reasons that they would do so in another WalMart anywhere else. I'll let your use your imagination to fill in the blanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #1848

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
The "big deal" is that not everyone knows they need permission. Getting permission is almost never a "big deal." In my experience, parking overnight at Walmarts and telephoning stores to learn their policy for my website, most stores are very friendly and welcoming. This is also borne out by the updates that I get from my subscribers -- there are a lot more updates that talk about "friendly and welcoming" stores than about bad experiences.
I plan on staying in a Walmart next Thursday nite ,when I get permission from the manager ,I will make a sign for the outside of my rig that says"Just in case you wanted to know..I asked first"

You just never know when a self appointed Walmart anti overnight RV Parker may come by

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Closed Thread

Tags
camping