Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
It seems that some are apposed to the asking for permission rule..

If it would prevent me from being evicted in the middle of the night I would ask for permission.

If I see other Rvs already snoozing, I will just sneak in and go to sleep and ask permission in the morning....
I have never asked permission to stay at a Walmart and didnt know it was required. I have never been evicted either.

The only time I have not stayed at targeted Walmart is arriving n finding it in a high crime neighborhood.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Ontario View Post
The code of Conduct published and accepted by most major RV groups, including FMCA and Good Sam ,referred to as the RVers Good Neighbour Policy, limits overnight parking to one night at establishments such as Walmart.
It's all well and good that these "ethics police" make these suggestions, but I'll follow the property owners rules; if Walmart doesn't mind, I'll be staying as long as I feel necessary. And yes, we DO ask about the individual stores policies...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #1865

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
It does not help the Rving community when some one vacations at Walmart parking lots for days at a time. Its one thing to get a quick nights sleep and be gone in the morning, and most people have no real problem with that, but a completly different situation when some one leaves their units at a Walmart and camps there for days at a time.
Locals see the same unit parked there for days and then they start to complain to their local governments to change laws.
The result is not good for any of us.
I've never seen this happen. Please provide documentation or a reliable link. Even so, if it's OK with Wal-Mart management that is good enough for most, I would think. Some people are always going to have to try to meddle but we can't do much about that type anyway, I suppose.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1866

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The code of Conduct published and accepted by most major RV groups, including FMCA and Good Sam ,referred to as the RVers Good Neighbour Policy, limits overnight parking to one night at establishments such as Walmart.
"code of Conduct?" Between a private business and an individual? Maybe you mean common sense? I would agree to using common sense, but I don't see how any group can attempt to control the conduct of any person or business, or even why they would want to. Live and let live, ya know?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #1867

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The major RV groups were asked by their members to put forward a sugested " Code of Ethics" re enroute overnight parking and the statement above was the one part of the code that was adopted. There are other items in the proposal about asking the store manager each time, about not putting your levellers down on asphalt parking lots etc.
Its only a voluntary code, but not one coming from the Campground owners as suggested in previous messages, but from people who actually are RVing.
And there were lots of cases documented on the internet and in National rving magazines in previous years, before this code of ethics was adopted, where people spent their whole vacations in Florida parked at Walmarts, some times for weeks at a time and in a few cases where they just dumped their holding tanks in the parking lot drains?? when they left. The code of ethics was adopted to protect the reputation of all RVers due to the actions of a few.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #1868

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Overnight Parking Etiquette

Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support your right to park on private businesses' parking lots overnight under the following code of conduct. The code pertains to establishments that permit "dry camping" on their lots. Dry camping means camping without the use of external hookups for electricity, water supply or waste disposal.
Industry-Sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVers' Good Neighbor Policy)
  1. Stay one night only!
  2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
  3. Obey posted regulations.
  4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
  5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
  6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
  7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
  8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
If your plans include touring the area, staying for more than one night, or necessitate conduct not within the code, please relocate to a local campground. It's the right thing to do!
Most of the complaints lodged regarding RV parking on business parking lots have to do with aesthetics and perceived abuse of the privilege. There are a variety of competing interests that were balanced to arrive at this industry-sanctioned code of conduct. As you can see, this Code of Conduct is nothing more than an RVers' "Good Neighbor" policy.
Not following the code has serious consequences and is detrimental to the rights of all RVers. Already, some municipalities have passed ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property overnight.
Please do not take offense to this letter; it is only provided as a reminder that RVers must be perceived as good neighbors, or there will be more pressure to institute state, county and local ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #1869

Newmar Owners Club
I think the length of time an RV'er stays at a Walmart is the least of the problems that gives RV'er a bad name. Things like parking across 5 or 6 parking places in the middle of the parking lot, parking near the entrance door, awnings and chairs out, dumping trash in shopping carts, affect the business more than staying a couple of nights. Sometime when you read a rule you realize how little they don't understand the problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #1870

spend the money for a camp site thats what you brought the trailer for not to
stay at walmart.
134 replys isn't there something better to talk about?
to stay at walmart to save money thats being cheap.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #1871

sorry not 134 replys that was pages way to much talk about parking at walmart
it would be nice to here about your trailers.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #1872

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I think your correct except for retired folks, for some they have nothing better to do.
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #1873
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many forums at iRV2 to talk and read about what your interested in, if your interest does not lend itself to reading about Walmart then read something else.

You yourself are the master of which threads you chose to open and read.

The rest I'll leave unsaid as it's all been covered adequately here in past posts.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #1874

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
sorry not 134 replys that was pages way to much talk about parking at walmart
it would be nice to here about your trailers.
Wrong thread! This all 'bout WM.
J
Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #1875

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The major RV groups were asked by their members to put forward a sugested " Code of Ethics" re enroute overnight parking and the statement above was the one part of the code that was adopted. <snip>
Whoosh!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #1876

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess over the 11 years I have been a member here I have probably read too many posts on this issue.
And yes I did stop overnight at a Walmart in Grand Isle Nebraska, and yes we asked the store manager who was on duty at the time. We slept in our unit with the slides in and jacks up and did not use our generator.
Its one of those things that is a privilege, not a right.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping