Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #2199

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
Am I a "senior member" now?

Francesca
Now you get the senior discount and you people will ask to help you across the street or just take your money . At Walmart that is. Have to stay on topic

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #2200

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I was to overnight again at a Walmart I would always ask for permission to park even if there were already units parked there. Its impossible to determine if the previous overnighters actually asked for permission or just assumed it was allowed.
JM2CW

2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #2201

Walmart is a great part of America. Great products, good food, on balance employes who are happy to answer questions and help. WM's auto service is wonderful. Reasonable prices, good safe practices. Plus we have never had a real problem when we needed a place to set up and stay for a night. Safe, secure, and shopping.
JB
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #2202

Sturgis RV Park (formerly Mount Rodney) is a Pass Port America park and is half price or weekly at $100. PPA is a great thing. You make up your membership in a couple of nights. They also have a free smart phone app that ties into your smart phone GPS for directions, mapping and ETA. Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #2203

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Now you get the senior discount and you people will ask to help you across the street or just take your money . At Walmart that is. Have to stay on topic
Yes.
People have been so kind- streets are certainly the biggest hazard I've encountered since becoming a "senior" member earlier today...
As I was tottering home from WALMART however, I had an encounter with rather a rude person...
It was captured on film by a nearby group of skateboarders who tell me that you should turn the volume WAY up so you can hear the screeching tires that attracted their attention.....
‪Funny Grandma!‬‏ - YouTube

Francesca
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #2204

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Yes.
People have been so kind- streets are certainly the biggest hazard I've encountered since becoming a "senior" member earlier today...
As I was tottering home from WALMART however, I had an encounter with rather a rude person...
It was captured on film by a nearby group of skateboarders who tell me that you should turn the volume WAY up so you can hear the screeching tires that attracted their attention.....

Francesca
That is great. The volume up is also good for hearing the kid laughing about it.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #2205

That is so funny; but this happens all the time, Once in St petersburgh a motorest kept blowing his horn at an old guy crossing the street the old guy took his cane and bashed the car hood in and broke his headlights. The driver sued the old guy and took it to court. The judge threw the case out.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #2206

Winnebago Owners Club
you cant run the genset in a Wall Mart parking lot can yo u, you have to use battery right?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #2207

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I always thought I was "too good" to camp at Wal mart. We went to VA from IL last year. We drove 25 miles out of the way on some crummy roads to pay $43 at KOA while in transit. Pretty expensive for a shower, dinner, breakfast, and 8 hours sleep. It came out to $4.30 an hour. Yes I can afford it but I remember making a buck an hour and $4.30 an hour seems expensive to park on rocks.

I retired last week and taking our first "real" trip in our new (to Us) MH to Sturgis, SD. I am looking forward to staying at a WM or other place. Now for the serious question. I have learned that I must ask permission to stay at WM, but what about other places mentioned such as Flying J or Cracker Barrel that have designated RV parking. I need dos and don'ts as far as permission. Like Sam's club, Home Depot etc. Many of them close early so I guess you just pull up and park out of the way. I know it would be lengthy to list Yes/No for permission for every individual store or situation but I'd like to hear what others do or have done. If someone has general guide lines, i'd appreciate it. I love this site.
Jim
Jim

Places with RV parking don't request you seek permission to park. They have already given it by providing the parking space. Places you park that are closed when you get there would like you to be gone before store opens in the A.M. Sam's Club is Walmart so ask first.

jack
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #2208

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
you cant run the genset in a Wall Mart parking lot can yo u, you have to use battery right?
I'll turn my generator on if I want to run my AC or anything else that requires alot of juice.

jack
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #2209

In many Wal-Marts, you will find trucks running their reefers and/or engines. Your generator won't make a lot of difference in the corner. It is expensive as my generator takes about .8 gal/hr under load. If you ran it 10 hours that's more than a campground at today's gas prices. If it is real hot, we will go to bed with the AC and generator on. The first one up in the night (usually around midnight or so) turns off the AC and generator and goes back to sleep.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #2210

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Wal-Mart understands RV's have certain features. When they give you permission to park in their lot, they expect you to use your RV like an RV. Common sense always prevails. I park where told, but I also park as far away from anyone else as possible. I don't want to disturb them and I don't want them disturbing me. I run my generator exactly as much as I want/need to and not a minute more. Relax and enjoy your stay!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #2211

Winnebago Owners Club
During our six years of RVing, DW and I have never spent the night anywhere other than a RV park, automobile race or motorcycle rally. We have never considered spending the night in any parking lot. After reading this thread, we are definitely in the minority. Maybe we should give it a try sometimes.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #2212

Vintage RV Owners Club
I spent a night at the Kennewick, Washington Walmart (new! nice!) last year and my overnight "neighbor" was a truck driver working for Walmart.
He told me that Walmart requires them to shut their trucks down if they're parked for more than a few minutes.
I think it's more of a fuel conservation thing than a noise thing, though...

Francesca

Tags
camping