Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #225

Walley - thanks for keepin it real

Icey
in Blighty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #226

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
When convenient in our travels we use campgrounds either as destination points, or in transit stop overs, but when necessary I appreciate the available hospitality of WM. .................. IMHO it is a win win for WM and the weary traveler worth protecting by considerate behavior.
We totally agree

Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #227

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Willey you deserve the Wally award if there is such a thing!!
afraid not, the little lady deserves it. As I understand she full times in her Lil RV traveling the roads and singing, selling CD's ect.

The darnedest thing is I have tinnitus in both ears, basically deaf in the left ear and can't hear in the right without a high powered hearing aid. To add to that the hearing with the aid is quite limited (high loss of frequency response otherwise known as a tin ear) but with all that she and the music sounded pretty good to me using headphones.

cheers
Willey
Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #228

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought another MH after 35 years of not camping (just retired for about the 4th and last time, I hope). I would not stay in a rest area, I just don't think it's safe. I wouldn't mind a Wal-Mart but in a strange city how do you know if the store is in a good area? I know where I live there are some I would not stay at. This would stop me more than anything. I would be as inconspicuous as possible, no awning, slid out, jacks or grill. Everyone says to ask the manager, I would not think the manger of a store would want to be bothered with this one to however many times a day. So who should you ask? We do all of our shopping at WM anyway, so no problem there.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #229

i've tried rest areas a couple times.Don't like the noise.last campground we stayed in was so close to the turnpike we felt like we were in a rest area.One place we stopped out west the only campround in town was so rundown we headed for the local Wallyworld.Unfortunately we didn't plan on it and ran out if water.This was when we first started and didn't realize we had water but the motorhome was tilted the wrong way.
Bob
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #230
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
We just bought another MH after 35 years of not camping (just retired for about the 4th and last time, I hope). I would not stay in a rest area, I just don't think it's safe. I wouldn't mind a Wal-Mart but in a strange city how do you know if the store is in a good area? I know where I live there are some I would not stay at. This would stop me more than anything. I would be as inconspicuous as possible, no awning, slid out, jacks or grill. Everyone says to ask the manager, I would not think the manger of a store would want to be bothered with this one to however many times a day. So who should you ask? We do all of our shopping at WM anyway, so no problem there.
I have not requested to speak to a manager but rather asked the customer service desk for permission.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #231

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV that's what I would think.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I have not requested to speak to a manager but rather asked the customer service desk for permission.
Even if we ask at the customer service desk, we ended up talking to the manager. So we just start out saying,

"We have an RV parked way out in the far end of the parking lot (or add better description of where we parked). Could we speak to someone to get permission to park overnight?"

If we get a yes, which we always have, we ask if we are parked in an okay location or would they want us to move someplace else. We usually end up waiting on the manager or assistant manager to approve the request.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #233

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda
We just bought another MH after 35 years of not camping (just retired for about the 4th and last time, I hope). I would not stay in a rest area, I just don't think it's safe. I wouldn't mind a Wal-Mart but in a strange city how do you know if the store is in a good area? I know where I live there are some I would not stay at. This would stop me more than anything. I would be as inconspicuous as possible, no awning, slid out, jacks or grill. Everyone says to ask the manager, I would not think the manger of a store would want to be bothered with this one to however many times a day. So who should you ask? We do all of our shopping at WM
If an area doesn't feel safe to you, don't stay. It's most likely your sub conscious warning you of danger. So don't stay, move on, you wouldn't sleep anyway. That's the main reason we stop early in the evening so as to avoid having to move at midnight or in the wee hours of the morning.
If I see a gathering of the young punks club, I take the dog for a walk, it never fails as they seem to move on with lot's of revving and tire squealing shortly after.
There was one time we had a foreboding feeling but stayed anyway because we had no problem overnighting the previous year. In the end I put the leveling blocks away and moved on at midnight to another WM along our chosen route

Never leave home without her

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Actually that's what I do. I find that if the service desk employees are unsure, they will call the manager, it works both ways, it can backfire though. If there's a no overnighting sign it's better to ask for the manager, you may be surprised with the answer if the sign is because of a municipal ordinance.

Cheers
Willey
Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #234

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would you ask if there's a sign saying no?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #235

Frequently Wal-Marts are located adjacent to shopping malls with common parking lots and it sometimes the Wal-Mart portion of the lot is not obvious. Wal-Mart also puts up the signs to discourage truckers from parking in their lots. They realize that the truckers are not really customers whereas Sam Walton fully understood that Rv’ers were good customers (being a camper himself). Frequently the city ordnance number will be on the sign and it is best to just move on. We usually make it a point to touch base with the security officer riding around. Many of them are RV’ers and like to get an update on our travels.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #236

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I do things like that. OK what's the worst they can say? NO and that would be it. However! a little story from this past summer.

On the way to our destination we had planned on overnighting at a certain Wal Mart that was said to allow overnighting. It was early evening when we pulled into the lot. Took the puppy for a walk and noticed a sign that had been previously obscured by a truck parked alongside it.

plain enough to understand so we had our supper and moved on. We then parked overnight at a closed out motel many miles further on.
On the return trip although we planned to overnight at the Wal Mart in the next town I decided to stop, have a meal then ask as the information I previously had, said overnight parking was permitted. I belong to and also report my overnight experiences to Overnight RV Parking a site dedicated to having accurate information with regard to overnight parking.
I asked for the manager and he told me the following. " the city had passed an ordinance that required them to erect the signs (note: I found only one ) and that the property owner was requested to report any vehicles overnighting on the property". He assured me he would never call an report anyone overnighting on the property as it was not store policy.
OK what it boils down to is the city can ask the property owner to report but the city does not have the authority to force the property owner to call and report. It is up to the city to enforce it's own by-laws. If the city empowers the police to enforce the by-law then they must budget $$ for the police to do so. Cities are reluctant to do this as it is costly. So now the city hopes the signs alone will be enough.
However there is a wild card, should the police stop by and ask you to move on, do so without argument and with an apology that you didn't notice the sign if it was obscured or you were parked away from it.

I also have to say I am quoting from my experiences in Canada, it could be quite different in the USA, the powers of municipal charters in the US might be greater than that of the municipalities North of the border. Some day I might get a ticket, but the cost of that ticket will be minimal compared to what I save by overnighting in parking lots.
In any case before overnighting ask, I've been overnighting at Wal Marts from NS to Alberta and at each store I've been told to " Park away from the store" this was consistent so I parked as close to the the lot perimeter as I could.
Now this what I do at WM. after the preliminary ask and then park
(1) On my walks I try to locate the garbage dumpster to deposit my garbage, true there are canisters at the front of the store but I don't want to fill them
(2) clean up after fido does her thing this is very important. security will give you a thumbs up for this
(3) Don't act like a horses pah toot! Shouldn't be hard to fill this one in.

Cheers
Willey
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #237
Commercial Member

Quote:
... Everyone says to ask the manager, I would not think the manger of a store would want to be bothered with this one to however many times a day. So who should you ask? ...
Walmart's official policy, as stated on the corporate website [www.walmartstores.com] states:
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
In practice, many store managers delegate this to the Customer Service Desk staff or the Customer Service Manager. The vast majority of RVers who report to my website about Overnight RV Parking inquire first at Customer Service. If they're authorized by the store manager to grant or deny permission, they will do so. If they don't have this authority from the store manager, they'll contact someone who does.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #238
Commercial Member

Quote:

"No Overnight Parking" signs in Walmart parking lots may be erected for a number of reasons, including:
  • Store manager does not want RVs parked overnight.
  • Local anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance that is rigidly enforced.
  • Local anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance that is enforced only when there is a citizen or store complaint to local police.
  • Easily available signs used to keep trucks out of lot, but store welcomes RVs (some such signs say "No Truck Parking").
  • Signs may apply only to RVers without permission, while those with permission may park overnight (some such signs say "No Overnight Parking by unauthorized vehicles;" when you have permission, you are authorized).
  • To keep RVs (and possibly trucks) from parking in a particular area of lot; other areas of lot will have no such signage.
  • Signs erected by store to appease local campground owners, but store will still grant permission for RVs to park overnight.
How do you know which is the case at a given store?

Simple -- Ask at the Customer Service Desk.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping