Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #2479

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Imagine if Walmart had a nationwide greeter program. You could travel from Walmart to Walmart, earn a few buck towards fuel, get an employee discount and camp in the parking lot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #2480

I think with crime as high as it is, that this overnight parking by rvers will cause wal-mart to not want rvers to stop even to shop. Find a rv park and pay a dry docking fee or stay in a place truckers stay overnight. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #2481

WM might like it if RV'er took matters in their own hands and "secured" the parking lot, making it safer for shoppers.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #2482

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
I think with crime as high as it is, that this overnight parking by rvers will cause wal-mart to not want rvers to stop even to shop. Find a rv park and pay a dry docking fee or stay in a place truckers stay overnight. Just my thoughts.
What crime is high? Where? Have I missed something?

Personally, I've never noticed any crime in Wal-mart parking lots, but then again, I don't always wear my glasses

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #2483

We have stayed in Wal-Marts at least 100 times and I have seen crime only once. About 5 PM a guy in a truck camper appeared to be selling drugs. We moved to the other side of the lot and told the security guy. He left.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #2484

Most crime folks never notice unless they are the victim. Large parking lots with high traffic are very attractive to car thieves and burglars. They tend to work quickly and don't want to be seen...so no one really notices them till the victim shows up and can't find their car.
Be aware of your surroundings, don't leave valuables out in the open and take simple precautions like actually locking your doors and closing your windows before leaving the car. RV's are not usually a target as they are (1) parked away from others and it is kinda obvious when someone is trying to force a door/window open. (2) They are frequently occupied and crooks don't usually want to deal with that. They would rather go for the car surrounded by other cars where it is easy to hide.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #2485

I did hear of a RVer who left his toad hooked over night and when leaving the next day had one of his pins fall out. Somebody had removed the cotter key from both of them. This falls into vandalism I would think. We always check ours before driving off unless it is raining hard.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I did hear of a RVer who left his toad hooked over night and when leaving the next day had one of his pins fall out. Somebody had removed the cotter key from both of them. This falls into vandalism I would think. We always check ours before driving off unless it is raining hard.

I always do a walk around of the motorhome and tow car even if I stop for gas and don't leave sight of it. Just to check and make sure everything is ok. Even if it is a Walmart parking lot. Have to mention Walmart to stay on topic.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #2487

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
This happened to me as well while in shopping (not during an overnight stop) - I was lucky to notice it prior to driving off. Lesson learned - always do a good walk-around.
P.S. I still haven't stayed overnight at a Wal-Mart even after 3 cross country and several east coast North to South trips. But I sure am glad the option is there.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #2488

Thugs could think that RV'ers are more vulnerable(Read helpless old geezers).

Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #2489

Shew, just finished reading the legendary Walmart thread...all I learned is that there evidently is a market for a small campground near every walmart in the country!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #2490
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, if there were a campground near every Walmart in the country, the campground would probably go broke. Now of course the CG owners could petition he city to put in an ordnance to prohibit over night parking in parking lots. Some have already done that. People will just find an alternative and then Walmart looses a "little" money also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #2491

I was thinking more like Walmart install campsites on their property as a way to make a few more bucks..lol. but I was mostly being facetious
Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #2492

I recently read that the average Wal-Mart store averages between $30,000 and $40,000 per hour 24/7/365 passing through their checkout lines. I don't think Rv'ers camping out are ever going to be much of an addition. The liability insurance would be more than the income.

Tags
camping