Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well, if there were a campground near every Walmart in the country, the campground would probably go broke. Now of course the CG owners could petition he city to put in an ordnance to prohibit over night parking in parking lots. Some have already done that.
Greed like that is what is ruining this country.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #2494

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always had the impression that one reason Wal-Mart liked RV'ers to spend the night in their parking lots was that it discouraged the bad guys.

You know all those "old geezers" Dunner is talking about, are up all hours of the night to pee or get a drink or just because they cannot sleep and all have Cell Phones to call 911 if they see wrong doing.

Lots of "Old Geezers" are also armed and being retired Military well trained in their use and I would think that is a factor in discouragement of them being bothered by bad guys at Wal-Mart.

But what the heck do I know as I have never stayed in a Wal-Mart over night, but I am looking forward to doing so before the year is out.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #2495
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I recently read that the average Wal-Mart store averages between $30,000 and $40,000 per hour 24/7/365 passing through their checkout lines. I don't think Rv'ers camping out are ever going to be much of an addition. The liability insurance would be more than the income.

That's why I put "little" in quotes. RV'ers purchases are pennies to them. They just allow parking as a good will gesture, But then, every little penny adds up to dollars.

Dunner,
Greed like what? CG's installed next to WM? City ordinances? I lost that one with my post being quoted. Help?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #2496

Sam Walton was an avid camper back when his children were young. It is in his book.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #2497

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sam Walton was an avid camper back when his children were young. It is in his book.
Thanks, Lindsay
That's probably where the policy originated, alright.
Even though it's a corporate giant now, Walmart did start out as one regular guy with a store.

I'm glad to hear that ol' Sam also found the time to take his family camping!

Francesca
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #2498

For years they sold his book for a dollar. There is one written by him and one written by somebody else without his permission, but not hostile. Many Libraries have them. Light, easy reading. Took a small loan from his father-in-law and turned it into $80 billion. We lived in Springdale, AK in the early 1970's and his store was very innovative even then, He got very good deals from suppliers and passed along the savings. One day I went by the store and he had 200 riding lawnmowers in the lot at an unbelievable price. They were all over town for years afterward.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #2499

Greed, as in petitioning for an ordinance to prevent RV parking at WM.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #2500

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, if I throw in my 2 cents after 179 pages of everyone putting in their 2 cents and maybe more I think we have enough for a tank of gas!

I have made the occasional overnight stop at Wally World, usually when there isn't enough coffee left to keep my eyes open and I also tend to stop at truckstops (TA, Flying J ect..) when I am traveling from point A to point B.

I think you could say we "hybrid" our stops in that some times we stop at predesignated spots for a day or two and other times we drive til it hurts, it all depends on how much time we have on our trip. I do what feels comfortable for me as many times I have pulled into a WM parking lot and decided there was no way I was staying there and other times I have pulled in due to the frustration of not being able to find a CG for the night.

Both approaches are valid depending on one's situation at that time.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #2501

One time, in Band Camp, oops, wrong thread, I left Phx pulling my 33' 5er, at ~5:30 AM and didn't stop, except for diesel, till I reached Kerrill, TX around 9:30 PM. I had planed to stop, but got my second wind and was still alert.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #2502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Thugs could think that RV'ers are more vulnerable(Read helpless old geezers).
That could only stem from a serious misunderstanding of geezers.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #2503

Quote:
For years they sold his book for a dollar. There is one written by him and one written by somebody else without his permission, but not hostile. Many Libraries have them. Light, easy reading. Took a small loan from his father-in-law and turned it into $80 billion. We lived in Springdale, AK in the early 1970's and his store was very innovative even then, He got very good deals from suppliers and passed along the savings. One day I went by the store and he had 200 riding lawnmowers in the lot at an unbelievable price. They were all over town for years afterward.
I doubt he ever lived in Alaska. Springdale, AR, although Wal-Mart's first headquarters was (and still is) in Bentonville, AR, a little ways north and west of Springdale.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Greed, as in petitioning for an ordinance to prevent RV parking at WM.
I have said many times that it's not hard to compete with Wal-Mart. A campground could do it, too. Easy 24-hour check-in, hook up, and check out; clean facilities; good security; friendly management and reasonable prices would just about do it, I figure. I guess they figure it's easier to strong-arm RV'ers with lobbying for local ordinances.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #2505

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I have said many times that it's not hard to compete with Wal-Mart. A campground could do it, too. Easy 24-hour check-in, hook up, and check out; clean facilities; good security; friendly management and reasonable prices would just about do it, I figure. I guess they figure it's easier to strong-arm RV'ers with lobbying for local ordinances.
I agree. Any campground that provided Easy 24-hour check-in, hook up, and check out; clean facilities; good security; friendly management and at the same reasonable prices that Wal Mart charges, I'd stay there.
I would like to contest the $30,000 to $40,000 revenue figure at an average WM. Where did you get that number? My wife can spend that much by herself.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #2506

You're in trouble now!

Closed Thread

Tags
camping