Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
I have no problems putting my slides out. I will only be there the night and then on the road again. If we are going to stay in a WalMart we will usually call before and verify that it is OK. Since they are nice enough to allow us to stay, we will always go in and purchase something. They normally have signs indicating whether you can stay the night and where to park. Frequently there is a security guard patrolling the lot.

2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
We have stayed in WAL -MART one time.

Will give a warning--- be careful parking on the downhill side of the parking lot. We rolled in there late one night and did not pay attention to being on the downhill side of the parking lot.

A thunderstorm blew in shortly after we parked, the wind really picked up. Loose shopping carts were rolling downhill like kamikaze airplanes. It was surreal. One slammed into the side of our motorhome, knocking a chunk out of the fiberglass. My wife thought a car had slammed into the bedroom.

I was running in the parking lot trying to divert the kamikaze carts, it was unbelievable. You had to have been there.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
Texas Boomers Club
I really think the only ones that notice rvs at WalMart are other rvers. I lived on the Outer Banks for 10 years and Walmart is well used during the season by rvers. I onced asked some of my coworkers if they saw the motorhomes one day at Wally and all but one said no. The one that said yes was a rver like myself. I really think the only ones who care are campground owners. Campgrounds on the upper islands of the OBX stay full, so noone cares....JMHO...
2003 Four Winds Infinity 37'
Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
We stay at walmarts with both slides out and antenna up. We ask if we can stay overnight and we shop in the store. If I see a sign prohibiting slides being out I will comply.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Wal-Mart as a layover spot on my way to our vacation destinations. I can go a good five days before I need to services the tanks so hunting down a campground to just spend the nite is not worth the effort. It is much easier to pull off at a Wal-Mart located next to the highway and drop anchor. I find an out of the way spot and settle in for the nite. That includes jacks, slides, and generator as needed. I always check in with the store and restock on supplies.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
What is the difference of an RV running a generator to stay cool, running it for a few minutes so one can power their microwave, then a big rig refrigerated truck running their engine powered cooler. We need to remind ourselves were just PARKING for the night, just like the big rigs, were not CAMPING. Use common sense.
Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by travlntexans View Post
We have stayed in WAL -MART one time.

Will give a warning--- be careful parking on the downhill side of the parking lot. We rolled in there late one night and did not pay attention to being on the downhill side of the parking lot.

A thunderstorm blew in shortly after we parked, the wind really picked up. Loose shopping carts were rolling downhill like kamikaze airplanes. It was surreal. One slammed into the side of our motorhome, knocking a chunk out of the fiberglass. My wife thought a car had slammed into the bedroom.

I was running in the parking lot trying to divert the kamikaze carts, it was unbelievable. You had to have been there.
Several years ago we had to stop at the Dodge City Wal Mart due to strong winds. We ended up moving to a different part of the lot due to the errant shopping carts.
FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Not that I have a tremendous amount to add, but on the way back on our trip from Idaho
to Houston, we stopped at 6 different Walmarts to stock the motorhome as we found things
we needed and to get food and drinks of course.

Walmart got $1,018.00 from us in that 6 day trip. I think letting us park in their parking
lot to get some shut eye one night wouldn't be too much to ask... even though we
didn't stay a single one.
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
In any good storm those crazy carts can have a mind of their own! We were in a Wal-Mart in a mostly flat parking lot when a severe thunderstorm came up. There were carts coming at us like laser guided missiles but only the first one made it past my watchful eye. I got a small ding in our stainless steel and a good laugh once it was over. I like the above advice and I will pay a little more attention when I park to see if I am down-wind from the cart stands in the future!
Some folks park at Wal-Mart and some don't and some others simply shouldn't (no details necessary here!). I parked at the far side of a Wal-Mart parking lot completely out of everyone's way. It was terribly hot and we ran the generator from early evening when we arrived throughout the night. The only complaint I received was from another RVer who came over the next morning to inform me that you should not run your generator at night as a courtesy to the other RVers. Apparently, he thought that a Wal-Mart WAS a campground and the evening quite hours apply. I would like to have seen him drop by the trucker who parked there and needed to run his engine all night. That would have been a priceless video!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have only stayed at walmart a couple of times when travelling. Then i stopped at dark and left early. I always shop in the store for supplies. I agree, if wal mart would not want us, they would post a sign. Most of the wal marts i have seen have a sign poste that says no 18 wheelers. Most of them hav a designated rv area. I think it is the jealous neighbors and campground owners that push for anti rv ordinances. By the way, i think all of the walmarts property is owned by the walmart real estate division.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just love these Wally threads, they make for an interesting internet evening reading.

Wal Mart wants you to blah! Blah! slides jacks blah! blah! etc.

False/ Wal Mart wants you to stay in the hopes you will buy even more stuff than you need.

Wal Mart will put up the dreaded No RV Overnighting signs if you don't adhere to the blah! blah! rules.

False/ Wal Mart will only put up such signs when local legislation forces them to do so. I have found that when asked they will explain the legislation to you but will also tell you they will not do the required telephone call to have it enforced since it's not their regulation.

This Summer (late Aug) I stopped at a Wally close to Montreal QC, as the night wore on the overflow of trucks from the flying J rolled in. All was still well until one rig that had an engine that sounded like a load of rock in a cement mixer parked for the night. Ah! well sleep was an impossibility then so we moved on to the next Wally on our route, with DW warning me not to get in an accident because she was in her PJ's So if it's too noisy Move On to where it isn't A two hour drive and a very peaceful night was there for us
Walmart got $1,018.00 from us in that 6 day trip. I think letting us park in their parking
Hmm! now I have a good idea of where the money disappeared during our trips. Not one campground in the 10 weeks away from home, 23 nights were at different Wall Marts. In all that time we run the little genny twice and that was on the streets in Calgary. Life is good! overnighting at Wally is anything but cheap

Vanguard VXL2000
Ford V10 Super Duty
Me the Missus and Gabby
Old 10-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Staying @ WalMart

When we've run a destination trip, we've overnighted at WalMarts a lot. When we arrive, if there are other RV's already parked, we join them. If there are no other RV's there, we go in and shop and ask permission. We've never been denied. In fact, we have been encouraged to stay there. We've never abused it. We'll run our generator, because we have to. We will not lower our jacks, because that might damage their property. We don't put out awnings or chairs or barbecues because that would be taking advantage of someone's kindness. We leave as early in the morning as possible before the crowds begin to arrive. We prefer staying at WalMarts because we can arrive any time, and leave early without wasting time dealing with anybody and sometimes their foolish rules. One RV park wouldn't let us leave until 7:30 in the morning, and when we tried to leave at 7:30, they didn't have the gates open yet! The rest areas are OK, but sometimes the noise and stink of the trucks makes it tough to get a good night sleep. Feel safer at WalMart.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
most walmarts welcome overnighters. there are some walmarts that are not allowed to have overnighters because of local ordinances. i use walmart a lot because we travel between jobs and i dont have a lot of time to get there. arrive late and leave early. we often extend the living room slide long enough to eat. we park out of the way. i think thats the key. we dont use the jacks, unless its very windy. ie kansas.
buy something, its appreciated and helps pay dividends on my walmart stock.
sams club, and cracker barrell also welcome overnighters.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never stayed in any parking lot, but that doesn't mean I will not. Someday I might just need to.

My coach would not allow for the necessities of living comfortably. With the LR slide in there is no access to the entertainment system. Makes for a boring night, but I guess we could play cards or dominoes. The kitchen, wardrobe, and bedroom slide is one large 19 or 23 foot (forgot which) slide., It does allow passage to the BR, although the bathroom is pass through, but getting around the bed is not an option if the slide is in.

For these reasons I have not stopped at a parking lot, yet. Every MH is different, and to view one MH owner as "violating" the unwritten rule of no slides, no generator, etc., is in my opinion, self centered. Not knowing if there is a medical need for any type of operation by another MH is just not in my realm of reasoning.

I definately agree with no awnings, and no jacks on surfaces that will be marred. I do carry boards to put under the jacks should the situation call for it.

To each his own.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Closed Thread