Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #323

Solo Rvers Club
I'm guessing WM has some kind of rule about shotguns

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #324

We are planning on parking at WM while traveling for our spring break trip from Indy to Fort Myers Red Coconut rv park. The reason is our bad experance for late night after hours self-serve pull-in camp sites. Two times in the last year we pulled in, between 9-10 PM dropped the money in the box, and found a spot away from other campers, just to find out after setup that the power was not on the post, or the power was bad(would not carry a load, looked good with my voltmeter but would not even support 12v lights). We left before the office opened the first time, and the second time I put off our blast off time to talk to the office for a refund, they refused, and told us we should'nt have parked in the "old" part of the camp ground. No signs saying were to park after hours. These were both KOA's

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #325

I think some of the anti Wal-Mart overnighters don't realize that convenience of stopping at Wal-Mart is frequently the major factor in deciding to stay at Wal-Mart rather than staying at a campground. We frequently use the 50% campground clubs and are only talking about $8 to $10 saving. When we are ready to stop, we are ready to stop. Usually at Wal-Mart we can stop and not even unhook. We can walk to shop for needed supplies and frequently walk to an out parcel for dinner. It is often the best option and frankly I care a lots more about getting my feet up and resting for a while and Wal-Mart can fit the bill perfectly. Those who keep calling us cheapskates just don't understand and could benefit from a few Wal-Mart stops to educate themselves on what it really means.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #326

Walmart Parking ~ BE CONSIDERATE

We have seen some RVers in Walmart parking lots with 3 or 4 slide-outs pulled out, BBQs, lawn chairs, and dogs tied out. We think that is overstepping Walmart's hospitality to RVers and can only result in more restrictions in the future. Most importantly, let's all just be considerate and remain as inconspicuous as possible so as not to jeopardize this benefit!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #327
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know this has been brought up before, but WM is the most expensive overnight stop I've ever used. So, I guess as far as I'm concerned, the reason for boondocking at a WM parking lot in order to save the money spent for overnighting at a CG is moot. I spend WAY more at WM than I would had I pulled into a campground & got charged, for a few hours sleep.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #328

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think some of the anti Wal-Mart overnighters don't realize that convenience of stopping at Wal-Mart is frequently the major factor in deciding to stay at Wal-Mart rather than staying at a campground.
Anti Wally parkers have an agenda (campground owners mostly) and don't care why anyone would park at Walmart. They would just prefer it be banned, hoping this would redirect the RVs into their empty campgrounds. Cant think of any reason why anyone other then a campground owner would be against it.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #329
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Anti Wally parkers have an agenda (campground owners mostly) and don't care why anyone would park at Walmart. They would just prefer it be banned, hoping this would redirect the RVs into their empty campgrounds.
I don't know that we can accurately state that the anti-Walmart Parking forces are "mostly" campground owners, but yes, they are a significant part of the movement to ban Overnight RV Parking anywhere but in a licensed campground.

This was the case with the failed attempt to pass a statewide ban in Maine in 2009. The RV Park owners who backed the bill wanted the state government to force all RVers to patronize their businesses, whether we want to or not. However, the bill had NO provisions requiring campground owners to:
  • keep their offices open 24 hours a day for check in at all hours
  • prpovide or locate a campsite for an RVer who arrives at a campground which is fully booked
  • provide online reservation capability for RVers who make reservations online
  • ensure that they have campsites to accommodate RVs of all sizes
  • guarantee that campground electric systems will provide full voltage under load, with all spaces full and all campers using power
  • ensure that roads and driveways, to and within their RV parks, have sufficient load capacity and adequate clearances for RVs of all sizes
I'm not opposed to campgrounds, and I like staying in them. I am, however, opposed to being forced by a law to stay in our RV in a place where I don't want to stay. I'm also opposed to a law that would force me to spend money with a business, but which allows the business to provide insufficient or inadequate service in return.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #330

Hi Superslif - I private messaged you about options for overnighting on your trip to Vermont. I neglected to tell you that the bridge between Crown Point and Addison, Vt. is gone and replaced by a temporary ferry. I don't know if the ferry can accomodate your rig, and I don't know where you planned to cross. If all else fails, we can accommodate you at our dairy farm just a few miles from Exit 31 - Herkimer, NY.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #331
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gasjarvi, what a nice offer.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #332

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Anti Wally parkers have an agenda (campground owners mostly) and don't care why anyone would park at Walmart. They would just prefer it be banned, hoping this would redirect the RVs into their empty campgrounds. Cant think of any reason why anyone other then a campground owner would be against it.
No overnight parking signs can be posted buy the shopping center developer to save the lot (can't tell if jacks will damage the lot until after they are down and asphalt is dimpled or cracked or is the lot going to hold that 35000# DP before you drive on it) or can be required by zoning regulations, or be a requirement for the original site building approval to please the neighbors. They also might be recommended by local police to alleviate a problem or not let one start. The municipality may have a tax or fee on hotel, motel, and/or campground nights occupied as a way to generate revenue. ( especially in resort areas )

George
Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #333
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
No overnight parking signs can be posted buy the shopping center developer to save the lot ... or can be required by zoning regulations, or be a requirement for the original site building approval to please the neighbors. They also might be recommended by local police to alleviate a problem or not let one start. The municipality may have a tax or fee on hotel, motel, and/or campground nights occupied as a way to generate revenue.
All of the above are reasons that Overnight RV Parking has been outlawed in one place or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
... can't tell if jacks will damage the lot until after they are down and asphalt is dimpled or cracked ....
A responsible RVer won't put jacks down first and check for damage later. Instead, place jack pads under your levelers BEFORE leveling to protect the surface from any damage. These are commercially available, but several folks I know get the same benefit from inexpensive squares of 3/4" plywood, with ropes attached so they're easily retrievable from under the RV.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #334

Not being a President, Chairman of the Board, or anything else, I believe that WalMart allows us to park overnight in their parking lot, except not in Kissimmee, FL anymore. Due to the "campers" putting their slideouts out, grills, lawn chairs, bikes, etc. out, as if they are in a campground. They stayed for days on end, and WalMart put a stop to overnight parking. Too bad, because of people taking advantage of free parking. I hope they wake up and don't try to take advantage of this. Down here in Naples East, there are campers sprawled out, with everything out as mentioned above. Next year, this probably will not be allowed. No I have not been removed from this site, I am just stating the facts.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #335

I sure am not an anti-WalMart parking RVer, but I am definitely against people staying endless nights.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #336

I really believe what you say.

Tags
camping