Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #3613

Heartland RV Club
Just think what would happen if it were raining while going down the road ...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #3614
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
Just think what would happen if it were raining while going down the road ...
...on the way to Walmart!! (Bringing us back O/T.)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #3615

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To get back on topic, what source do you use to find a Wal Mart for overnighting. I generally use Next Exit. About two hours before our projected stop, I (or my bride)get into the Next Exit book and find a suitable WM about 120 miles down the road. I don't mean to complain because it is or favorite, but it can be cumbersome if going from state to state or highway to highway. You have to do some math while paging around. Also, it is only good for interstates. Occasionally we travel secondary roads (divided, interstate type roads, but NOT interstates, therefore NOT in Next Exit). We each have smart phones and IPads so apps would work but like most cheapos on this site, I didn't mind paying $$$$$ for the Rv but too cheap to pay 40 bucks to overnight. I didn't mind paying $700 for the IPad, but I am too cheap to pay for an app. I prefer FREE apps (ad supported). BUT, if someone tells me a pay app is really useful, lists every (most) WMs, tells which allow Waly docking, gives phone numbers to call, directions, etc, I MIGHT break open the wallet, watch the moths fly out, part with a few dinero, and pay (forgive me) for an app.
Here's to Wally dockers everywhere. Where are the entepreneurs out there. We need an IRV2 Wally Docker sticker so we can identify each other at WM. Then again, maybe we don't want to be recognized.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #3616

The Allstays app for Iphone and Android is $4.99 (maybe $3.99) and is wonderful. It has almost all the camp grounds, Wal-Marts, truck stops, and just about everything else. It interfaces with you phone GPS and will lead your right to their door. I used to ask my wife how far until the next Wal-Mart. She would say about an hour. Now she reply's, "44.6 miles or 56 minutes followed by complete directions". It is updated frequently and worth the money. We love it.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #3617
Moderator Emeritus

All this "Walmart App" talk reminded me of something that happened on our last trip. We were traveling through Louisiana and decided to look for a Cracker Barrel to stop and have something to eat. I punched "Cracker Barrel" into the GPS app and lo and behold, one appeared at an exit about 8 miles away. We followed direction to a "T", through the exit and down a couple of convoluted side-road turns.

The GPS announced "You have arrived at your destination"...and so we had. A small "Cracker Barrel" CONVENIENCE STORE. (I forgot that in Louisiana, there's a chain of 7-11 type stores called "Cracker Barrel.")

So, we went to Walmart instead. (Not really, but must keep O/T.)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #3618

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
All this "Walmart App" talk reminded me of something that happened on our last trip. We were traveling through Louisiana and decided to look for a Cracker Barrel to stop and have something to eat. I punched "Cracker Barrel" into the GPS app and lo and behold, one appeared at an exit about 8 miles away. We followed direction to a "T", through the exit and down a couple of convoluted side-road turns.

The GPS announced "You have arrived at your destination"...and so we had. A small "Cracker Barrel" CONVENIENCE STORE. (I forgot that in Louisiana, there's a chain of 7-11 type stores called "Cracker Barrel.")

So, we went to Walmart instead. (Not really, but must keep O/T.)
You'll get the same effect if you punch in Cracker Barrel while in Portland, Oregon. There's one cracker barrel market, not related to the chain, out on sauvie island that's a combination convenience market and bait shop just across the bridge on Sauvie Island, but we do have an RV park or two a little further down the road, IF you can find a spot .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #3619

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Recent Wal-Mart Long Stay Experience

We live in Western Washington where snowfall is rare and usually limited to an inch or two accompanied by media hype and school closures. Recently we had snowfall of 6" to 2' within about a 30 mile radius. On Tuesday night the power went out. We spent the night in the motorhome with all it's warmth and conveniences. By morning, we had the beginnings of an ice storm. By evening, it was far worse. We live on acreage that consists almost entirely of 100-150' fir trees. You would hear "snap, boom!" Small trees and big branches, and I mean big like up to 40' long were falling all around us and all over the property. We decided to get out as quickly as we could.

We drove towards the local Wal-Mart, noting lights out all along the way. No house lights, no street lights, no traffic lights, businesses closed. Just darkness. As I crested the hill I could see lights! It was Wally's and it was like an oasis! Parking lot lights on, store lights on, everything bright and shiny. Well, not the businesses surrounding WM, they were all dark and closed. I pulled into the lot and found a spot on the outskirts where the snow had been plowed. There was just enough room for us to pull in and still be out of the way. I parked perpendicular to the lines, taking up about four spots, door to the grassy area, slides towards the lot. I was able to get over far enough that opening the slides would still be within the lines and out of traffic.

I went into the store and found a manager. I explained the situation and asked permission to park. She walked with me to the door and I showed her where I was. She said, "sure, you're out of the way, stay as long as you like."

I returned to the motorhome and set the jacks and extended the slides. We went into the store for groceries. That is when I found out they were operating on generator power! I was amazed at the amount of light in the store to say nothing of the lot being completely lit! Though there were lots of shoppers snapping up everything they could find, they had a good selection of food to choose from. However, no chicken or prepared foods. Alas, we would have to cook! We found several selections to hold us over for the next couple days. Even bought a few DVD's to occupy our time.

We ended up coming home on Sunday after the power was restored. We will be eternally grateful to Wal-Mart for making what could have been a tough few days, easy!

Next time you see the same RV in a Wally's lot for more than a night or two, consider they may have permission and they may have a good reason. We shop at Wally's on a regular basis and this experience has convinced me we are going to be regular customers for a long time to come.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #3620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
To get back on topic, what source do you use to find a Wal Mart for overnighting. I generally use Next Exit. About two hours before our projected stop, I (or my bride)get into the Next Exit book and find a suitable WM about 120 miles down the road. I don't mean to complain because it is or favorite, but it can be cumbersome if going from state to state or highway to highway. You have to do some math while paging around. Also, it is only good for interstates. Occasionally we travel secondary roads (divided, interstate type roads, but NOT interstates, therefore NOT in Next Exit). We each have smart phones and IPads so apps would work but like most cheapos on this site, I didn't mind paying $$$$$ for the Rv but too cheap to pay 40 bucks to overnight. I didn't mind paying $700 for the IPad, but I am too cheap to pay for an app. I prefer FREE apps (ad supported). BUT, if someone tells me a pay app is really useful, lists every (most) WMs, tells which allow Waly docking, gives phone numbers to call, directions, etc, I MIGHT break open the wallet, watch the moths fly out, part with a few dinero, and pay (forgive me) for an app.
Here's to Wally dockers everywhere. Where are the entepreneurs out there. We need an IRV2 Wally Docker sticker so we can identify each other at WM. Then again, maybe we don't want to be recognized.
Allstays Walmart Overnight Parking app has worked well for us, can't remember if it cost anything but has all locations displayed via map and relative to where you are. Also updated as to whether or not they allow overnight parking
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #3621

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
Allstays Walmart Overnight Parking app has worked well for us, can't remember if it cost anything but has all locations displayed via map and relative to where you are. Also updated as to whether or not they allow overnight parking
All of the AllStays Apps cost between $1.99 - 4.99 on Android.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #3622

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
We live in Western Washington where snowfall is rare and usually limited to an inch or two accompanied by media hype and school closures. Recently we had snowfall of 6" to 2' within about a 30 mile radius. On Tuesday night the power went out. We spent the night in the motorhome with all it's warmth and conveniences. By morning, we had the beginnings of an ice storm. By evening, it was far worse. We live on acreage that consists almost entirely of 100-150' fir trees. You would hear "snap, boom!" Small trees and big branches, and I mean big like up to 40' long were falling all around us and all over the property. We decided to get out as quickly as we could.

We drove towards the local Wal-Mart, noting lights out all along the way. No house lights, no street lights, no traffic lights, businesses closed. Just darkness. As I crested the hill I could see lights! It was Wally's and it was like an oasis! Parking lot lights on, store lights on, everything bright and shiny. Well, not the businesses surrounding WM, they were all dark and closed. I pulled into the lot and found a spot on the outskirts where the snow had been plowed. There was just enough room for us to pull in and still be out of the way. I parked perpendicular to the lines, taking up about four spots, door to the grassy area, slides towards the lot. I was able to get over far enough that opening the slides would still be within the lines and out of traffic.

I went into the store and found a manager. I explained the situation and asked permission to park. She walked with me to the door and I showed her where I was. She said, "sure, you're out of the way, stay as long as you like."

I returned to the motorhome and set the jacks and extended the slides. We went into the store for groceries. That is when I found out they were operating on generator power! I was amazed at the amount of light in the store to say nothing of the lot being completely lit! Though there were lots of shoppers snapping up everything they could find, they had a good selection of food to choose from. However, no chicken or prepared foods. Alas, we would have to cook! We found several selections to hold us over for the next couple days. Even bought a few DVD's to occupy our time.

We ended up coming home on Sunday after the power was restored. We will be eternally grateful to Wal-Mart for making what could have been a tough few days, easy!

Next time you see the same RV in a Wally's lot for more than a night or two, consider they may have permission and they may have a good reason. We shop at Wally's on a regular basis and this experience has convinced me we are going to be regular customers for a long time to come.
That's a pretty nice story!! I was a good safe place to be during a storm. Much better than the naysayers at the RV parks with no power!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #3623

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post

Impressive! Would take a SERIOUS generator to keep power to all that! I am glad that you had a safe place to go. I wouldn't stay, with trees falling either.

Sheila
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #3624

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Impressive! Would take a SERIOUS generator to keep power to all that! I am glad that you had a safe place to go. I wouldn't stay, with trees falling either.

Sheila
We have generators at my work that would put what it would take to run a walmart to shame .
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Hey Dunner, we got a pic of your rig at Wal Mart! Congrats on the inventive design.

Don't have to run the genny if you have solar:

And don't forget - A man's RV is his castle.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #3626

Monaco Owners Club
Kinda like dueling banjo's!!
Closed Thread

Tags
camping