Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #3627

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
We have generators at my work that would put what it would take to run a walmart to shame .
As do we. The QT refrigerated warehouse next door has two generators, each of which was a full load for a semi with a low-boy trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #3628

As the story goes, when AT&T got their first WM sized diesel generator, they had it so when the commercial power died, it started automatically.

To test it, they cut the power and it started right up, then died a minute later. Upon inspection, they found that the fuel pump was wired to commercial power. Where's that "true story" smilecon?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #3629

Back in the boom, many new homes in Florida had whole house generator when built. They usually are set up for piped in natural gas if available or propane if not. The usually test one a month. Your neighbors love them in a hurricane and your AC'ed house becomes very popular.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #3630
Moderator Emeritus

Same in the Houston area after "Ike". After 2 weeks sweltering with no electricity, we briefly considered adding one ourselves. We have a small gas gen, but it will only power the fridge, a few lights and a small TV. We opted to buy the moho instead...haha.

After that storm, there were no overnighters at Walmart, either. (In keeping with the spirit of the thread )
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #3631

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
We live in Western Washington where snowfall is rare and usually limited to an inch or two accompanied by media hype and school closures. Recently we had snowfall of 6" to 2' within about a 30 mile radius. On Tuesday night the power went out. We spent the night in the motorhome with all it's warmth and conveniences. By morning, we had the beginnings of an ice storm. By evening, it was far worse. We live on acreage that consists almost entirely of 100-150' fir trees. You would hear "snap, boom!" Small trees and big branches, and I mean big like up to 40' long were falling all around us and all over the property. We decided to get out as quickly as we could.

We drove towards the local Wal-Mart, noting lights out all along the way. No house lights, no street lights, no traffic lights, businesses closed. Just darkness. As I crested the hill I could see lights! It was Wally's and it was like an oasis! Parking lot lights on, store lights on, everything bright and shiny. Well, not the businesses surrounding WM, they were all dark and closed. I pulled into the lot and found a spot on the outskirts where the snow had been plowed. There was just enough room for us to pull in and still be out of the way. I parked perpendicular to the lines, taking up about four spots, door to the grassy area, slides towards the lot. I was able to get over far enough that opening the slides would still be within the lines and out of traffic.

I went into the store and found a manager. I explained the situation and asked permission to park. She walked with me to the door and I showed her where I was. She said, "sure, you're out of the way, stay as long as you like."

I returned to the motorhome and set the jacks and extended the slides. We went into the store for groceries. That is when I found out they were operating on generator power! I was amazed at the amount of light in the store to say nothing of the lot being completely lit! Though there were lots of shoppers snapping up everything they could find, they had a good selection of food to choose from. However, no chicken or prepared foods. Alas, we would have to cook! We found several selections to hold us over for the next couple days. Even bought a few DVD's to occupy our time.

We ended up coming home on Sunday after the power was restored. We will be eternally grateful to Wal-Mart for making what could have been a tough few days, easy!

Next time you see the same RV in a Wally's lot for more than a night or two, consider they may have permission and they may have a good reason. We shop at Wally's on a regular basis and this experience has convinced me we are going to be regular customers for a long time to come.
We got snowed in at a WM one weekend. It started snowing on Sat as we were taking our booth down. When we finished I drove to the next exit north (watched several cars slide into the ditch in front of us as we drove) and filled the propane tank, drove south and stopped at a WM to call the DOT to ask about road conditions. I was on the phone with them when they announced over the PA system that I-5 was closed, so we really had no choice but to stay.
WM to stay at, food in the refer and freezer and a Starbucks just across the street. Can't get much better than that!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #3632

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
<snip
WM to stay at, food in the refer and freezer and a Starbucks just across the street. Can't get much better than that!
Peace on earth, to be sure...
Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #3633

It's to bad the WM in Ronhert Park Ca stopped
overnight parking I saw some nights It looked like
a campground I think thats what happens when
people take advantage of a good thing the (The American
way) getting something for nothing.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #3634

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
It's to bad the WM in Ronhert Park Ca stopped
overnight parking I saw some nights It looked like
a campground I think thats what happens when
people take advantage of a good thing the (The American
way) getting something for nothing.
What are your WM overnighting experiences, 1stCougar? I guess you don't overnight in Ronher Park, but what other WM's have you stayed at and how did you like it?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #3635

I stayed at the Rohnert Park WM two times when we had our trailer
stored at a place where the gate was opened only 9am to 5pm
and closed on Wednesday. I have since move to a place that
has a code, go in any time I want and now If I have to drive
over 600 miles I find a campground at around 300miles
and pay to camp there overnight
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #3636

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I stayed at the Rohnert Park WM two times when we had our trailer
stored at a place where the gate was opened only 9am to 5pm
and closed on Wednesday. I have since move to a place that
has a code, go in any time I want and now If I have to drive
over 600 miles I find a campground at around 300miles
and pay to camp there overnight
Oh, that makes sense. You're not really an overnight parking lot user at WM, then. That is kinda what this thread is all about, I think. Most of us don't see the sense of "camping" in a campground for one night on our way to somewhere else. It's just such a hassle to make reservations, be there by a particular time, follow their rules, etc. Overnighting at WM gives you a chance to pick up last minute groceries, movies, clothing, etc. I can see where a campground is much less expensive, too!

Good on 'ya for your frugality and rule following!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #3637

Boy what a hassle picking up the cell phone and
calling for a one night reservation I almost can't
make the trip it's or hard,I shop at WM but I do
it the day before.
And no I am not a overnight parking lot user I don't,
for you it's not the hassle it's the money that the guy running
the campground you don't want to pay.
but I guess you get a thrill out of spending the night at
WM and that makes it easier for me to find a campground
when all you WM campers are happy in the parking lot.
So when you finally get to your destanation do you get there
at a particular time and do you follow there rules.
happy parking lot camping
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #3638

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Boy what a hassle picking up the cell phone and
calling for a one night reservation I almost can't
make the trip it's or hard,I shop at WM but I do
it the day before.
And no I am not a overnight parking lot user I don't,
for you it's not the hassle it's the money that the guy running
the campground you don't want to pay.
but I guess you get a thrill out of spending the night at
WM and that makes it easier for me to find a campground
when all you WM campers are happy in the parking lot.
So when you finally get to your destanation do you get there
at a particular time and do you follow there rules.
happy parking lot camping
I haven't found too many campgrounds that have anyone manning the desks between 10pm-3am which is usually about the time I start deciding to call a halt to travel. I rarely pre-plan a stopping destination because I don't know really how far I'm going to get that day and I might pick place X down the road, but only make Y miles towards it.

Some of the time, if I can find one that I can roll into in the middle of the night, I'll go to a campground, though alot of the time I usually end up at a Rest Stop, Truck Stop, Wal-Mart, Church (I travel in some fairly remote areas sometimes and there isn't always a rest stop, walmart or even a campground in the area), etc.... to take a shower and catch 8, because they were the first thing I came across.

I've also passed up campgrounds when I have found them because the nightly rate was outside of my budget range and couldn't find another option within a reasonable distance and ended up at a Walmart, etc....
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #3639

Hey RedneckExpress thats all good I will only drive max 300 miles
a day I always start at 6am so I'am always at a campground
by noon or 1pm live in California 55 MPH takes longer to get
anywhere that gives me time to check out that area.
If it's 400 miles I will stop around 200 miles sorry i'am retired
not in any hurry.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #3640

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hey RedneckExpress thats all good I will only drive max 300 miles
a day I always start at 6am so I'am always at a campground
by noon or 1pm live in California 55 MPH takes longer to get
anywhere that gives me time to check out that area.
If it's 400 miles I will stop around 200 miles sorry i'am retired
not in any hurry.
Heh, yer making more miles than me , my last big "ramble" I was making at best 200 miles a day and still winding up in some situations similar to as I described, though it was all 2-lane lonely asphalt where I could count the number of cars I had seen on one hand with fingers left to spare.

I usually travel at a top speed of 55mph, and if I'm not on the freeway or a major highway, sometimes 45-50 is my top speed, I call my big trips "Rambles" alot of the time for a reason, I ramble along, and retirement is many decades away still .

My upcoming fall trip will likely fall more into my "marathon" category at some legs, where miles driven can be anywhere between 300-900 miles between sleep stops, all at 55 mph.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Closed Thread

Tags
camping