Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #3809

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Boon docking is rough at wAlly World . I have to microwave the chicken to heat it up. Some WM are remotely located. There is no water or facilities, unless you go inside. Pretty boondocks to me. Where do you think wallydocking came from? Boon docking at wallyworld?
It came from the fact that Boondocking isn't staying at walmart, so the more correct nomenclature of Wally-Docking came into being, given that "Docking" is used in this case to refer to stopping over at, much like "Docking" a boat in a "Port" vs the "Dock" off of "Boondocks".
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #3810

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freeloading at "Sams Place" might be the proper term.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #3811

Monaco Owners Club
We've never overnighted at a Walmart, roadside rest park or Truck Stop, but after reading this thread, we probably will at some time. I have stopped many times for short periods at all three locations.

I don't fully agree with a "don't put your slide out" rule. I agree that Awnings, lounge chairs, grills, etc. have no place being out, but slides are okay in my book. I think someone needs to park in a location where an open slide would not create a hazard or inconvenience for other shoppers.

Our daughter and granddaughter live with us. We don't travel anywhere without them, and have traveled since my granddaughter was newborn.

We have a full wall slide. The slide contains a full closet where my daughter and granddaughter put all their clothing. Unless we open the slide, we can't get to her clothing or the washer/dryer in the back. Babies have "oops" moments with diarrhea or spit-up, and I simply find a place to pull over, safely put out the big slide, wash her up, and make things tidy again.

Once I was attacked by a road gator. It was about 100 degrees outside when I crawled under the coach, and I was pretty nasty and sweaty when finished. Fortunately, the rest stop had sewage dump and water fill facilities. I pulled well out of the way, slide out, leveled, showered, started the washer/dryer, got everything back in place, dumped, filled, and now refreshed, was back on the road! I'm sure, tho, if someone had pulled in the rest stop, they would have thought I was camping. Many cars and trucks came and left while I was there.

You never know what mood someone is in when they see where you are parked, and I've met some people who can find fault with anything. I think if we are mindful of others without creating a hazard or inconvenience, well, nuff said.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #3812

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Freeloading at "Sams Place" might be the proper term.
True, but the only works if you don't end up shopping or buying the chicken .
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #3813

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I do wish people would not mix Boondocking and Walmart in the same sentence.

Boondocking has absolutely nothing to do with staying in anyone's parking lot.

Boondocks means "Rough, remote, or isolated country", which in no way can be construed to mean anything remotely related to a Walmart parking lot.

So, please use the correct nomenclature, which is "wally-docking" or "Overnighting".

That spelling makes me want to send a polite letter to the escapees to correct their misnomer.....
Is it OK to say your boondocking at WalMart if the WalMart is in the boondocks?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #3814

Monaco Owners Club
Boondocking, Wallydocking, Camping, call it whatever you want. WalMart is still part of a free society. Just like if you don't want to park there overnight it's your choice!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #3815

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Yer techncially not in the boondocks if there's a Walmart there. The very definition of Boondocks implies a lack of there even being a paved road, let alone a store . Now, you could be Wally-Docking in the middle of BFN/BFE and that would be accurate, but yer still not boondocking. You could even loosely say yer "Dry camping" at a walmart, though that's a bit of a stretch.

But, to call staying in a parking lot "boondocking" is kinda like saying you're going "Rock Crawling" when driving down a gravel road.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #3816
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
In my Unofficial Opinion, yes. (But it appears Redneck Express does not agree. )
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #3817

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
We've never overnighted at a Walmart, roadside rest park or Truck Stop, but after reading this thread, we probably will at some time. I have stopped many times for short periods at all three locations.

I don't fully agree with a "don't put your slide out" rule. I agree that Awnings, lounge chairs, grills, etc. have no place being out, but slides are okay in my book. I think someone needs to park in a location where an open slide would not create a hazard or inconvenience for other shoppers.

Our daughter and granddaughter live with us. We don't travel anywhere without them, and have traveled since my granddaughter was newborn.

We have a full wall slide. The slide contains a full closet where my daughter and granddaughter put all their clothing. Unless we open the slide, we can't get to her clothing or the washer/dryer in the back. Babies have "oops" moments with diarrhea or spit-up, and I simply find a place to pull over, safely put out the big slide, wash her up, and make things tidy again.

Once I was attacked by a road gator. It was about 100 degrees outside when I crawled under the coach, and I was pretty nasty and sweaty when finished. Fortunately, the rest stop had sewage dump and water fill facilities. I pulled well out of the way, slide out, leveled, showered, started the washer/dryer, got everything back in place, dumped, filled, and now refreshed, was back on the road! I'm sure, tho, if someone had pulled in the rest stop, they would have thought I was camping. Many cars and trucks came and left while I was there.

You never know what mood someone is in when they see where you are parked, and I've met some people who can find fault with anything. I think if we are mindful of others without creating a hazard or inconvenience, well, nuff said.
This is all very well said and I would think, applies to all of us with motorhomes. We are just a little bit different than those that travel by car. You do whatcha gotta do while still causing as little inconvenience to others as possible. We are going to inconvience others just by our presence. Keeping it to a minimum is just common sense.

I like what you said about putting the slide out where it doesn't cause a hazard or inconvenience. Others will say put it out over the grassy area. That isn't always possible or practical and is one small reason why "guidelines" that others want to impose on us don't always fit.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #3818

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those that travel with a travel trailer or fifth wheel often can not function in their unit without having the slide out. This has to be considered when we say that people should not put out slides while Wally Docking. My experience has been that the majority of these people use their heads and park in as safe a location as possible. We will always have those that are inconsiderate and will never use proper etticate, even if they have the Escapees list. There is no cure for stupid and there is no a wonder pill about to come on the market. If those of us that live by a code of ethics continue to conduct ourselves in a responsible and respectful manner, we will make the odd irresponsible and disrespectful RVer be recognized for what the are. The truth is the facilities that allow us to overnight at no cost, Love us. They don't have a problem with us. We are the ones that want to complicate the whole Wally Docking thing. If you want to see discourteous, disrespectful, and irresponsible people, just go in the store. Compared to some of them,most of we RVers look like a visit from heaven. There will always be some that have no respect for others. The best thing we can do is lead by example. WALLY DOCKERS ARE GOOD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #3819

The original Wal-Mart thing came about prior to slides coming in to being in the late 90's. Back then we had the "super wides" at 96 inches. This was before the 102 inch standard became legal. Slides were never an issue. The concept was to appear that you were parking, not camping. It really didn't have anything to do with getting the slides hit by traffic. I think most RVers are smart enough to do that. Personally, I like to park next to the retention pond so I can pretend I have a water front site.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #3820
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing like sunrise over the garden center, I always say.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #3821

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Nothing like sunrise over the garden center, I always say.
Nice one, girl.

Which I think makes a good segue into this comment:

I vote for keeping this thread going. I think that any newcomer to the forum would very quickly figure out that it is not an entirely serious thread.

Also, it gives those of us who were rejected at "Open Mic Night" at the nearby comedy club a second chance to be the next Jerry Seinfeld.

Yada, yada, yada.............

Just my very humble opinion.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #3822

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Yer techncially not in the boondocks if there's a Walmart there. The very definition of Boondocks implies a lack of there even being a paved road, let alone a store . Now, you could be Wally-Docking in the middle of BFN/BFE and that would be accurate, but yer still not boondocking. You could even loosely say yer "Dry camping" at a walmart, though that's a bit of a stretch.

But, to call staying in a parking lot "boondocking" is kinda like saying you're going "Rock Crawling" when driving down a gravel road.
Ya know I was just kidding. Getting bent out of shape about WalMart isn't really worth it.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping