Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #3935

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I missed it. Here's my time-stamped idea:

Rent a little storefront in the same strip mall as Wally World. Put in 20 level pull-through spaces in the parking lot, with 30A pedestals. These pedestals have credit card slots in them. Swipe your card, and you get power turned on for $3.50/hr, maximum 10 hours. Make the pedestals double-duty during the day as EV charging stations so Obama will give you some of that 'stimulus money' to set it all up and get it going. This here idea is time stamped and poor-man's patented.
Why 30A??? Why not go all the way and put in 50A pedestals???? I think that most MH are 50A now anyway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #3936

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Why 30A??? Why not go all the way and put in 50A pedestals???? I think that most MH are 50A now anyway.
Because it's not a campground, it's a 'short stay convienience center'. Target market is people who want to get off the road for a few hours and recharge themselves, pick up a few items, eat dinner. 50A coaches can plug into 30A service and be functional.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #3937

Traveled 91 days this winter. Stayed at cg's or state/federal parks when we reached a planned destination. We are on a tight budget, so we used Walmart and Cracker Barrel when they were on our route of travel. Would arrive 4 or 5 pm, walk around, shop some, go to sleep early, get up have coffee and a leisurly breakfast and start driving after rush hour. Negatives are noise and potential crime, so I WOULD pay a reasonable fee ($10.00) to stop in a cg. Same deal, We would use almost none of their facilities and might even add them to our list of future destinations.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #3938

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbender View Post
Rambling, great minds think alike. You just need to add a dump station! Maybe a couple of gas pumps and a diesel pump or two and we have truly one stop shopping!
But that requires regulation... Too much like owning a campground
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3939

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

If the rest of us could afford the Winnebago in your avatar, and owned our own CGs, we might be more likely to hunt down a CG for the night.

But those of us in $19,000 TTs and on Social Security will most likely continue to enjoy WMs and the conveniences of spending the nights there while on the road.

BTW, when we first started traveling with a TT about 5 years ago, we did indeed look for CGs to spend the night. We'd have to set up, then go search for a place to eat and we always needed something from either a grocery store or a place like Walmart. One time I forgot to pack my blouses and T-shirts. It was a WalMart store to the rescue and some quick shopping. Then we learned about parking RIGHT at WalMart or a Flying-J... the rest is history.
We no longer have the Winnebago, we are now mortgaged to the hilt in a used Newmar. It will hopefully be our retirement home someday. We can only travel in the winter because the campground keeps us busy from March to November or December. We work seven days a week from 8 in the morning to 10 or 11 at night, and we are on call over night in case some one needs our help. We don't own our own house, so technically we could argue that The rv is our house.
Parks like ours are really not for the overnight camper, we aren't near anything, we are a destination campground, I have stayed in some really nice parks overnight, reasonably priced, near the highway with late check in stations. But we frequent campgrounds to meet the owners, get ideas, share problems and fixes. It works for us, just as wm works for you and many many others.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #3940

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I'd go out on a limb and say most people that stay at WM do not do so to save a few dollars in CG fees.
Exactly right. We can well afford to pay for a spot if we needed to. We paid big $$ so our rig would be self contained. We pull in late and leave early and lots of campgrounds close their office before we get there. We have no need for a swimming pool, laundry etc when in transit to a destination. When we arrive then we pay for the ammenities. We both still work so there's a time constraint on travel time too. Drive long and hard to get there, stay a few days (in a camp ground) then hightail it home to get back to work.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #3941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

I'd go out on a limb and say most people that stay at WM do not do so to save a few dollars in CG fees.
Correct, When we take a vacation, we have a destination in mind. We drive late and wake early. Walmart or Meijers work for our requirements perfectly. Safer and quieter then a rest area. We always run in the next morning very early to use their rest rooms buy supplies... ect. Always located near a restaurant for breakfast then gone.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #3942

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello there. Yes it does. The ONP Walmart app is updated based on RVer feedback to the program administrator. Last month we made an overnight stop in a non-overnight Walmart based on a feedback that was posted. We spoke to the manager who educated us that when a Walmart store does not allow overnight parking it is *not* Walmart that does not allow it, it is usually a city ordinance that does not allow it. This manager told us we were welcome to stay so long as the Police did not ask us to leave. We stayed about 9 hours that night and the Police drove by several times but did not stop. I find the app pretty amazing ... Regards.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #3943

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I wonder if any WMs are zoned for 30 Amp service. $10/stay or show a receipt for X # of WM $s spent, for free overnight parking.

I believe all Walmart parking is free of charge. However, I do tell you, when we go ask the manager for permission to stay overnight we usually do it right before we go pay and our cart is nice and PACKED!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #3944

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCOMVEE View Post
We spoke to the manager who educated us that when a Walmart store does not allow overnight parking it is *not* Walmart that does not allow it, it is usually a city ordinance that does not allow it.
There is a statement posted on the Wal*Mart website that says exactly that. Wal*Mart welcomes RV's to stop and stay a few hours. Of course they also know we stock up while there. Usually costs as much as a campground but at least I have something to show for it.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #3945

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCOMVEE View Post
I believe all Walmart parking is free of charge. However, I do tell you, when we go ask the manager for permission to stay overnight we usually do it right before we go pay and our cart is nice and PACKED!
What I meant was, to help pay for the cost of the 30 amp service, they charge little "maintenance" or "convenience" fee.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #3946

Quote:
We spoke to the manager who educated us that when a Walmart store does not allow overnight parking it is *not* Walmart that does not allow it, it is usually a city ordinance that does not allow it. This manager told us we were welcome to stay so long as the Police did not ask us to leave.
Our winter stick and brick in FL is in one of the no overnight parking ordinance areas, passed mainly as a way to prevent homesteaders, temporary residents, and homeless from living in parking lots, orange groves, etc. My winter neighbor is a deputy sheriff working night shift so it many times falls on him to roust rvs from places they are not supposed to be. He says he normally does not worry about Wal Mart overnighters but stealth campers trespassing and illegal dumping, etc. he always sends on their way.

One Wal-Mart in particular near our home is open 24 hours in a high traffic area with a relatively small parking lot. During orange harvest season there is a lot of night shopping there from workers on their way home from working the juice factories. Even though it is clearly marked with lots of no overnight signs many rvs and truckers use the lot when they see others there. Sometimes a lot of semis and rvs will park in the lot, limiting traffic flow and parking, and someone will complain. My neighbor will have to send them away. He evidently gets a whole lot of "I parked here before" heated complaining from rvs that understandably do not like to move at 2 AM, to the point where he now does the night time door pounding with backup.

What goes around I guess. His family, DW and I took a trip together for a long weekend and stopped overnight at a WM in GA. At 3 AM the local sheriff woke us and forced us to move. We knew there was a local no park ordinance but we had parked there before and thought we could sneak in a few hours. I, in jest, blamed the neighbor for his bad Karma coming to get us.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #3947

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbender View Post
As a campground owner and an rv owner, I have never stayed in a Walmart lot, but i can see where staying overnight at a Walmart may save you some money, however, as a campground owner, struggling to earn a living and keeping up with all the state imposed regulations, like having x number of sinks, toilets and showers per x number of campsites regardless of the fact that most of those sites are occupied by rigs with their own bathrooms. We have to have dump stations and back flow preventers none of which are required of Walmart. None of the pages of regulations we must follow apply to the Walmart parking lot. I stay at campgrounds because I know they, like us, need the support of our campers in order to keep our parks open. Every time I read about another park closing, going under, or being sold for apartments or condos, I get nervous, it can happen anywhere! Well, maybe not to Walmart!
I can empathize with your situation and certainly understand why you would support fellow CG owners. Just as my living is directly related to domestic auto sales. I hate to see people buy Foriegn cars (ones made outside the US). But thats the result of competing in a "global economy".
The patriotism or desire or whatever you want to call it, that used to keep this country strong and gave Americans the feeling that we take care of our own above everything else is diminishing.
People are impatient and want immediate satisfaction at any cost to their neighbors and fellow Americans. Loyalty is gone from everything. Marriage's are temporary, Sports figures play where-ever they make the most money. And people will make decisions about what to buy, where to stay, and who to support based on how it effects them. Its more about the bottom line than doing whats right for everyone.
Americans will run this country into the gound and let industry after industry business after business fail and go belly up if it cost them a few extra bucks to support our own. People just dont care anymore. Its sad and I will make the effort to support CG as much as I can.

With that said I can understand if I were traveling from point A to B and needed to stop on the way for some sleep, the convience of just pulling off the Hwy would be something I would do. All of my trips have been within a days travel so I havent needed too yet. But it would be nice if CG did offer a overnight only spot in the parking lot or even an empty site for a reduced rate. Because I can also understand not wanting to spend $40 for a place to park for the night. Something like free up to $10 to park out by 9:00 am extra charge for Elect and maybe charge to use the dump station. Then people who only want to just sleep can do it without spending a bunch. If the CG has a decent store, people passing thru would probably buy a few items too rather than drive around looking for a store. IMO
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #3948

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I can empathize with your situation and certainly understand why you would support fellow CG owners. Just as my living is directly related to domestic auto sales. I hate to see people buy Foriegn cars (ones made outside the US). But thats the result of competing in a "global economy".
The patriotism or desire or whatever you want to call it, that used to keep this country strong and gave Americans the feeling that we take care of our own above everything else is diminishing.
People are impatient and want immediate satisfaction at any cost to their neighbors and fellow Americans. Loyalty is gone from everything. Marriage's are temporary, Sports figures play where-ever they make the most money. And people will make decisions about what to buy, where to stay, and who to support based on how it effects them. Its more about the bottom line than doing whats right for everyone.
Americans will run this country into the gound and let industry after industry business after business fail and go belly up if it cost them a few extra bucks to support our own. People just dont care anymore. Its sad and I will make the effort to support CG as much as I can.

With that said I can understand if I were traveling from point A to B and needed to stop on the way for some sleep, the convience of just pulling off the Hwy would be something I would do. All of my trips have been within a days travel so I havent needed too yet. But it would be nice if CG did offer a overnight only spot in the parking lot or even an empty site for a reduced rate. Because I can also understand not wanting to spend $40 for a place to park for the night. Something like free up to $10 to park out by 9:00 am extra charge for Elect and maybe charge to use the dump station. Then people who only want to just sleep can do it without spending a bunch. If the CG has a decent store, people passing thru would probably buy a few items too rather than drive around looking for a store. IMO

This is the Wal-Mart parking thread. There is no mention of WM in any of this post. Overnighting at WM is NOT about money. It is about convenience. Most (not all) folks that can afford to travel in an RV can afford to stay at a campground. Most folks posting in this thread prefer NOT to stay at a campground for various reasons. I wouldn't stay in a campground even at $10 per night for limited services. I just don't like them. I do however enjoy the convenience of WM parking lots and stores as we travel about in our motorhome.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping