Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #4005
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by CD View Post
What happened to my 4000 post? There are at least 4 posts missing this morning.
Just FYI and OFF TOPIC, Yours was not the first "4000th" post. Dunner posted the first 4000th, then there were a few more threads that got deleted...then YOU posted yours, which apparently was also deleted. I guess we need to stay ON TOPIC and strictly discuss Walmart parking!!

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #4006
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by CD View Post
What happened to my 4000 post? There are at least 4 posts missing this morning.
It has been posted a few times in this thread that the thread is about Walmart Parking and over time it has gotten way off topic not even remotely connected to the subject.

It has also been mention that replies would be gone without the courtesty of a PM explaining why.

A lot of latitude has been allowed in this thread but as mentioned Walmart Parking is the topic.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #4007
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
For everyones info; THE VAN HANDICAPPED PARKING SPOTS ARE FOR VANS, WITH SIDE DOOR LIFTS!!! That's why the blue-lines next to the right side!! PLEASE, DON'T USE THEM FOR CARS, EVEN WITH PERMITS!! That's true whether it's WalMart's parking or the post office!!! We need the room to open the doors, get the lift out AND GET THE CHAIR OFF OF THE LIFT!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Depends on what state your in, and the wording on the handicap designation signs. Where I am the signs say Van Accessible, and are not exclusively reserved for vans. Cars with handicap stickers or plates can use these parking places. Texas may have different wording or regulations. I agree on NOT parking on the blue hashmarks next to the parking space.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #4008
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Texas may have different wording or regulations. I agree on NOT parking on the blue hashmarks next to the parking space.
Texas does not have different wording. A store is required to provide a certain number of handicap spaces, and how they are configured is largely up to the store.

Trucking to support the cats.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #4009
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Texas does require a certain number of van accessible spaces. The hatched area is considered part of the parking space and the handicapped driver can use the parking space and the hatched area as needed to park.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4010
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry for using capitals in my comments, but I'm only trying to emphasize
the important points.. Handicap parking laws are NOT state laws, THEY ARE FEDERAL LAWS!! When a vehicle parks ON the blue diagonal spaces, MEANT FOR WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBILITY, there is NO place for the chair to be unloaded; ALL other parking is about 12-16 inches apart... Please, folks try to
understand that I CAN'T PARK ANYWHERE, ELSE and GET OUT of my vehicle...
The reason I am so adamant about this is I have had to go back home and it is 50 miles to WalMart, because there were cars/pick-ups in the van spaces.. So,
please, don't use them if you don't have to; the regular parking isn't all that far if you wait a minute, for someone to leave.. Please!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #4011
Those blue stripe run 90 degrees to the way the car is parked and I find it hard to believe that anybody would be dumb enough to park over them. Having said that, I have seen it myself numerous times. I think people just do it anyway. The standards are federal, but the implementation is local and there is a huge difference in the different cities and the different inspectors in how they apply the same law. Unfortunately, found this out the hard way. I even had an building inspector tell me he wouldn't approve my freshly done handicap spot until the concrete had cured for 30 days. I told him I would get a lawyer and he approved it the next day. As I found out later, a spot was not required. A friend of mine was turned down on his U Store place because the handicap bathroom had the light switch 2 inches too high. He could not get it reinspected for 2 weeks and it cost him thousands of dollars. Sometimes these inspectors are on a power trip or on the graft and we end up with a mish mash of results.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4012

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A Revelation

I had a revelation this morning. I live in Western Washington where sunshine is kind of a rarity, especially during any season but summer and even then it can be only a wish. I also live on acreage that is almost exclusively 100-150 ft. tall fir trees. The only view is straight up.

This morning we awoke to sun coming in the windows. I hurriedly got dressed and went outside for my morning coffee. I reveled in the shadows caused by the sun on the trees. The birds were singing, the squirrels were squirreling and all was right with the world. Well, except this thought crept into my mind. "I think I'll drive up to Wal-Mart." Why? Because the sun beats down relentlessly on their parking lot! There can be 10 degrees difference (feels like more) between our place and the WM lot a couple miles away. I wanted to FEEL the sun, not just see it. And that is apparently one reason I like to spend the night at WM. I love to get out of the motorhome in the morning and feel the sun. Even if it's not a sunny day, I still have the ability to see a great distance compared to home. Ahhhhh, the wide open spaces of the WM lot! Gotta love it!!
Phil in Bonney Lake, WA
2003 Itasca Horizon, 32TD
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4013
Alpine Owners Club
Oh yes Madrona, I absolutely understand. Living just a few miles from you, I also felt the urge to visit the open space of a Walmart parking lot. You have to live in the beautiful PNW to get it. Walking the dog was wonderful this AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #4014
American Coach Owners Club
I don't think I've ever heard of such romanticizing over an asphalt parking lot. Must be the allure of Wal-Mart's rotisserie chicken wafting out the front doors that causes this type of impulsive behavior. It's a sinister plot to drawn any nearby 'Wal-Martians' in through their doors like some hideous magnetic 'tractor beam'. That's what it is! Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #4015
If it was me that needed a van parking spot and there was none, I would unload right at the front door to WM. If questioned, I would point to the car in the van spot.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #4016
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just because it says 'Van Accessible' doesnt mean only a van can be there.. I do get upset with those who park on the lines next to van.. I mean, "really?"
Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #4017
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Alright, we can stop with the Handicap Parking theme in this thread. A new Handicap Parking thread can be started since it is not confined to only Walmart. Thank you.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #4018
Okay, let's try again. Anyone know if the Walmarts in Bangor ME accept RV's?

2012 Jayco Greyhawk FK
Flat towing 2008 Miata
Closed Thread