Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #4047

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Someone should make a Walmart map like the states map, where we could add stars for WM stays
Holy moly with thousands of walmarts the map would be one big blob of stars.
I say that because we have that mega poi download. If you zoom out too far you can't see the map because of all of the walmart icons. It's amazing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #4048

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Anyone ever stay at the Walmart in Newton, Ms? May stop at the one off exit 109 on I 20 for some chicken and a few hours rest. Then on to St. Fancisville, La. Saturday morning.
Just in case we have newer walmarters, beware. Many of the walmarts are ok to park with an rv - - -but they have those height limiters hanging over the main entrances. Just look for the truck/delivery entrances.
One time, we must haven gone in through the truck entrance because we almost had a disaster when we left the next morning.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #4049

I don't think my popup interfered with anyone's sleep, and also I asked first. Isn't there some sort of etiquette about running a genset all night?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #4050

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCanada View Post
<snip> Isn't there some sort of etiquette about running a genset all night?
In a parking lot? No, there really isn't. In a campground, certainly, but in a parking lot? Most people would be considerate enough to shut it down, but who knows, maybe they needed it for some medical reason or maybe they fell asleep with it running. But I would never expect a parking lot to be even reasonably quiet. However, the convenience of having anything you need just steps away, even in the middle of the night, makes Wal-Mart an excellent choice for many.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #4051

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
In a parking lot? No, there really isn't. In a campground, certainly, but in a parking lot? Most people would be considerate enough to shut it down, but who knows, maybe they needed it for some medical reason or maybe they fell asleep with it running. But I would never expect a parking lot to be even reasonably quiet. However, the convenience of having anything you need just steps away, even in the middle of the night, makes Wal-Mart an excellent choice for many.
Been stopping at Wal-Marts for many years. The running of generators in this thread could be considered a toss up by some. Not to me, if we had a need to run our generator there, we would certainly off away from other rigs. then if another rig parked nearby, they'd be doing it knowing a gen was running.
Yeh one should not expect it to be quiet but reasonably quite, yes. But running a running a genset in the middle of other rigs, to me is not reasonable nor considerate.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #4052

If you absolutely have to run your generator all night, park next to an big rig that already has his on or move to a Flying J that has the same or go out in the desert. alone. There is no medical reasons to justify running one all night at a Walmart when there are so many other easy options.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #4053

Guess you haven't been at the Walmart in Dallas during July ... LOL! It was 95 degrees and 85 to 90 percent humidity. I ran the generator with the air on all night. We typically fill the shopping cart with our fresh fruit and meat for the next part of the journey and then with almost full cart ask the manager if we can stay the night. Then in the morning we buy our cup of coffee and thank the on duty manager for letting us stay.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #4054

When we are on the road during the summer, our AC/generator is never shut off, and part of the reason is to keep out exterior noise, in addition to comfort for us and pets. I would have never thought to expect a parking lot to be quiet. Guess you live and learn.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #4055

Running a generator consumes from .5 to .8 or gallons an hour. This is more expensive than a campground, A good alternative is to go to sleep running the generator and AC and the first person up during the night can cut them off. This can save $25 of fuel.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #4056
Commercial Member

Quote:
... Isn't there some sort of etiquette about running a genset all night?
Of course there is. If there are others nearby whose sleep will be disturbed, one has the choice -- (1) be considerate of others, or (2) to heck with everybody else.

In a Walmart or other "blacktop boondocking" situation, there's also the question of whether there are residences nearby. If so, then the inconsideration of just one RVer running a generator all night can lead to a local movement to ban Overnight RV Parking in that community. There are some Walmarts (not a lot, but some) that specify "no use of generators" as a condition of granting permission for an RVer to park overnight.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #4057

In a rest area or a Walmart. I'd run my generator if it was hot enough outside to need the a/c to sleep comfortably. Then again, now that I have a quiet diesel generator, really, the low hum is such that if it's keeping you up, I am sure it's #97 on the list of noisy things at that Walmart keeping you awake.

Steve
Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #4058

Heck, just park next to the garden center and plug in to one of the outside plugs....
Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #4059

Upscale Docking in Plam Springs, Ca.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #4060

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I don't think my popup interfered with anyone's sleep, and also I asked first. Isn't there some sort of etiquette about running a genset all night?
Yep, one of which is not to put slides out, or make it look like you're staying long term like chairs, awnings , BBQ's etc, but nothing about running a gen.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping