Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #4061

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
There is no medical reasons to justify running one all night at a Walmart when there are so many other easy options.
Ever try to run a CPAP or oxygen concentrator off a currant bush? Those two are VERY legitimate medical reasons.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #4062

The other options are a Flying J or the boonies.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #4063
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Yep, one of which is not to put slides out, or make it look like you're staying long term like chairs, awnings , BBQ's etc, but nothing about running a gen.
The two times we stayed at a WM we spent an average of $250. We opened our slides and BBQ 'd and had our chairs out. They told us to come back real soon.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #4064

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is warm out - generator runs all night! That's why I purchased a motorhome and not a travel trailer. Kudos to the guy with the portable Honda!

You know you're parking in a parking lot of a business that is open 24 hours a day when you pull in.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #4065

When my wife and I travel, about 8000 to 10000 miles per year, we plan our routes around Walmart and Macdonalds locations. Walmart has quiet secure stopping places, and MacD's has Breakfast. We always park in the outer lot with the other MH,s and big rigs, and we always try to leave the place cleaner than we found it. In the mid-west and Western States, the Entrance way and parking lots at the MacD is usually big enough for the big rigs to fit. We do all our shopping at Walmarts even if we aren't stopping there for the night. At one Walmarts we stopped at there were 10 big rigs and 23 MH's in the parking lot, and more came in after we got there.
Bob Clough
Gulf Stream Class A & Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #4066
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ever try to run a CPAP or oxygen concentrator off a currant bush? Those two are VERY legitimate medical reasons.
Yep, DW uses her Cpap on a small inverter plugged into the batteries in either TT or slidein camper..

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #4067

Just got back from a trip from Ottawa to Halifax NS and back. Stayed at Walmarts in Edmunston NB, Halifax NS, and Brewer ME. Asked at each place for rules, basically were none I was told. Slideouts and Gens were Ok. Edmunston said there was a town ord that gens couldn't run after 11pm which was fine with us.

We ran the gen at all for a couple of hours to watch tv but was usually shutdown before 11, but no one else was there. We didn't run at Brewer as there were 4 other trailers.

Spent money at each walmart and picked up a stray cart or 2 in the morning when going in for a paper.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #4068

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Upscale Docking in Plam Springs, Ca.

Heh..looks like a trailer park in the back.. oh the shame
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #4069

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards
Running a generator consumes from .5 to .8 or gallons an hour. This is more expensive than a campground, A good alternative is to go to sleep running the generator and AC and the first person up during the night can cut them off. This can save $25 of fuel.
Boy, your generator gets horrible fuel economy, my little champion will run my a/c for 4-6 hours on a gallon and a half of unleaded.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #4070

Maybe it is because it is a little one. Mine is a 5500 watt. Each AC requires 1350 watts and on start up, they pull about 26 amps. Many generators are a lots bigger than mine.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #4071

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The two times we stayed at a WM we spent an average of $250. We opened our slides and BBQ 'd and had our chairs out. They told us to come back real soon.
I was stating what is generally acceptable by the RV'ers themselves, not what was said at an individual store location. Both Good Sam and FMCA have a Code of Conduct when parking at Wal*Marts and other locations. Good for everyone that takes advantage of the offer.
Quote:
Overnight parking etiquette FMCA and some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support your right to park on private businesses’ parking lots overnight under the following code of conduct. The code pertains to establishments that permit "dry camping" on their lots. Dry camping means camping without the use of external hookups for electricity, water supply or waste disposal.
Industry-Sanctioned Code of Conduct (RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy)
1. Stay one night only!
2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3. Obey posted regulations.
4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.
If your plans include touring the area, staying for more than one night, or necessitate conduct not within the code, please relocate to a local campground. It’s the right thing to do!
Most of the complaints lodged regarding RV parking on business parking lots have to do with aesthetics and perceived abuse of the privilege. There are a variety of competing interests that were balanced to arrive at this industry-sanctioned code of conduct. As you can see, this Code of Conduct is nothing more than an RVers’ “Good Neighbor” policy.
Not following the code has serious consequences and is detrimental to the rights of all RVers. Already, some municipalities have passed ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property overnight.
Please do not take offense to this letter; it is only provided as a reminder that RVers must be perceived as good neighbors, or there will be more pressure to institute state, county and local ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #4072

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Yep, DW uses her Cpap on a small inverter plugged into the batteries in either TT or slidein camper..
Not everyone has an inverter. And I'm not sure a concentrator will run very long on batteries.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #4073

Quote:
Not everyone has an inverter. And I'm not sure a concentrator will run very long on batteries.
My Bi-Pap runs on a 400 watt inverter which can be bought inside a Wal-Mart for about $40. I can run it for 3 night with my great batteries. You could easily test the oxygen concentrator and see what it's amp needs were.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #4074

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
When my wife and I travel, about 8000 to 10000 miles per year, we plan our routes around Walmart and Macdonalds locations.
When you say McDonalds, do you mean to eat, or do you ever spend the night on their lot?
Jim
Closed Thread

Tags
camping