Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4159

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
You should leave a note on his door expressing your concerns, and include a link to this thread and your email address so he can respond.
Another option would be to MYOB and not judge others. I have a cousin who manages a Walmart. He lives in an upscale subdivision with many restrictions, one being NO street parking for cars and RVs, and NO RVs in the driveway. When I visit him, I park the RV at "his" store, put out one slide, detach the Toad, and sleep at his house. I don't like hanging around his house while they are both at work, so we go to the RV during the day and hang out. When my niece got married and he had other guests, I spent 5 days in the RV, on "his" lot, with slides out, and the generator running at night. Ya just never know. If someone had left a note and their email address, they'd have gotten an email they wouldn't soon forget. Unless there is danger, a crime being committed, or someone is in trouble it's best to MYOB.
On a side note, I wouldn't call anybody a liar, but the whole blue tank story sounds fishy. If you stay on a WM lot for 3-4 days, fill up a 20-30 gallon blue tank, what do you do with 160 to 180 pounds of...well, stuff that happens?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #4160

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Another option would be to MYOB ...
I was being sarcastic.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #4161

go to a campground and pay for the dump station
five days at WM you should be at a campground
anyway.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #4162

Cougar,

Who are you to tell us where we "SHOULD' be. MYOB!

Jim
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #4163

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
go to a campground and pay for the dump station
five days at WM you should be at a campground
anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Cougar,

Who are you to tell us where we "SHOULD' be. MYOB!

Jim
Ouch! Thought I had accidentally logged into rv.net.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #4164

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I thought we were talking Wal-Marts. I would think the best method for running a C-Pap or Bi-Pap in the woods would be to run a small generator to a convential battery charger and charge the battery with it at about 10 amps. My charger will even go to 50 amps, so charging a good AGM battery for multiple nights with a Bi-Pap could be done a whole lots cheaper in just a few hours. The battery chargers on most motor homes are not too swift. Still running a Bi-Pap on gasoline all night is very ineffecient. Make sure your inverter will handle it. My Bi-Pap takes about 240 watts at peak. Any larger watt inverter should not be hooked up to the cig lighter style plugs. I also have a 1500 watt inverter with alligator clips that I can use for running the 100 psi air compressior for tires. I could run the invertor off of it as my batteries are under the entryway stairs.
Yes, we are talking walmarts too, as I have stayed at them on route to those USFS/BLMs sometimes , you don't always have to be on a freeway to find a walmart super center.

My rig has a hard-wired custom switchable outlet system in my camper with a permanently installed 400/800 MSW inverter that is connected to it's own breaker panel that feeds a 2-way 1800 watt switch that drives the outlets either off the shore power connection when live or the inverter.

The problem I ran into is while we were able to drive his unit off the inverter, it was drawing too many amps off the bank to allow it to run sustained through the night without severely depleting the battery bank.

A 240 watt load through an inverter, minus any losses from the inverter itself is drawing a constant 20 amps out of your batteries (Watts / volts = Amps), which will run down a 360 amp hour battery bank in a fairly swift fashion, much in the same fashion that running an RV fridge on 12 volt will if you don't remember to switch it back to gas.

Perhaps in a large motorcoach, where there's room to cram 3-4 or more banks of golf cart batteries, is it more feasible to make a constant 20 amp draw off your battery bank for an extended period of time, but that doesn't work quite so well with 1 and 2 battery banks more commonly found in most smaller RVs.

Case in point, your average 9' truck camper, like the one that was originally brought up, generally only has room for 2 group 27 deep cycles at best.

So, to come back to the walmart point, for some there isn't always a feasible quiet battery alternative to running a generator when stopping to catch a few hours rest at a Walmart for the night.

From my last adventure, on the way north to do some dry camping up near Concrete, WA , stopped at the Marysville, WA walmart to get some sleep because I was falling asleep at the wheel, no generator needed this time .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #4165

My Bi-Pac doesn't take a constant 20 amps. I believe it is in the neighboorhood of 2.3 amps. I looked it up in my manual. 20 amps is a whole lot of power. One of my AC units takes only 16 amps. The heater vaporizes only an ounce or less all night which is very little. A coffee maker does 8 cups in just a few minutes and is on a 15 amp breaker. My Bi-Pap is pumping about 20 liters of air per minute which is a minute amount. I have run my Bi-Pap 3 nights with no recharge on 220 amp hours of batteries with also running some led lighting for reading. My Bi-Pap inverter is a 400/800, but that doesn't mean it uses 400. I also use it to run my cell phone charger at the same time. I have also used it to run my XM radio at the same time. Back when I had a C-Pap, I could run it from a 200/400 inverter, but had to upgrade to a 400/800 inverter when I went to a Bi-Pap.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #4166

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
My Bi-Pac doesn't take a constant 20 amps. I believe it is in the neighboorhood of 2.3 amps. I looked it up in my manual. 20 amps is a whole lot of power. One of my AC units takes only 16 amps. The heater vaporizes only an ounce or less all night which is very little. A coffee maker does 8 cups in just a few minutes and is on a 15 amp breaker. My Bi-Pap is pumping about 20 liters of air per minute which is a minute amount. I have run my Bi-Pap 3 nights with no recharge on 220 amp hours of batteries with also running some led lighting for reading. My Bi-Pap inverter is a 400/800, but that doesn't mean it uses 400. I also use it to run my cell phone charger at the same time. I have also used it to run my XM radio at the same time. Back when I had a C-Pap, I could run it from a 200/400 inverter, but had to upgrade to a 400/800 inverter when I went to a Bi-Pap.
2.3 amps at 120 volts ~ 240 watts, more like 275. To get the total amount of juice you're actually pulling out of your batteries you need to calculate it based upon the your supply voltage.

Your inverter is delivering 2.3 amps at 120 volts to your Bi-pap which consumes roughly 240 watts of power.

You take that total wattage, 240, then divide it by 12 volts, the voltage your batteries produce and that is the amperage rate of power actually being drawn out of your battery bank by your inverter.

This of course assumes that the heating element is in a constant state of on, if it cycles on for only short periods of time, then the amount being drawn out of your battery bank will vary.

The problem we had with Mike's unit was it warmed the vaporized air with a heating element that didn't cycle.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #4167

Quote:
The problem we had with Mike's unit was it warmed the vaporized air with a heating element that didn't cycle.
Never heard of that type. I would think that the energy usage would have to depend on the amount of water vaporied. How much water does it use in a night? Mine is less than an ounce and that takes almost no energy. I wonder why the air coming out of the C-Pap needs to be heated. The air we breathe all day is not. It couldn't be too hot or it would be uncomfortable. I don't think my heating element cycles. It is just sized to vaporize a very small amount of water over the night. It has setting 1 thu 5 and I set it on 2 1/2. Too much vapor condenses in the hose and causes mold. The air in a C-Pap actually stops during the exhale cycle and it looks like that would cause overheating. I had a lot of trouble getting used to a C-Pap and switched to a Bi-Pap and it was a lots more tolerable. Bottom line is I can boondock for a days with less battery power than you have. Doesn't seem correct.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #4168

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Never heard of that type. I would think that the energy usage would have to depend on the amount of water vaporied. How much water does it use in a night? Mine is less than an ounce and that takes almost no energy. I wonder why the air coming out of the C-Pap needs to be heated. The air we breathe all day is not. It couldn't be too hot or it would be uncomfortable. I don't think my heating element cycles. It is just sized to vaporize a very small amount of water over the night. It has setting 1 thu 5 and I set it on 2 1/2. Too much vapor condenses in the hose and causes mold. The air in a C-Pap actually stops during the exhale cycle and it looks like that would cause overheating. I had a lot of trouble getting used to a C-Pap and switched to a Bi-Pap and it was a lots more tolerable. Bottom line is I can boondock for a days with less battery power than you have. Doesn't seem correct.
His unit is fairly old, at least 15 years, the reservoir/vaporizer for the unit is about the size of a shoe box and is separate from the main pressurization unit. Between the two parts, the hoses and the annoying large power brick the thing had, it was a magic trick trying to get it all tucked into place by the dinette bed and leave enough walking space left for access to the bathroom door at night .

I know nothing about how these things work other than what he told me, I just know that the 12 volt amp meter spiked and stayed there when we switched it on running on the inverter.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #4169

If you measure across the positive and negative posts, (on a good charged battery) you should be reading 14-17 VDC. Now will that change your numbers any. Just curious.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #4170

All I can say is I am so thankful for the generosity of the Walmart stores in allowing us to park overnight. Since it is free I can put up with any noise..we try to be very quiet and considerate of the people around us and the neighborhood around us if there is one..
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #4171

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
If you measure across the positive and negative posts, (on a good charged battery) you should be reading 14-17 VDC. Now will that change your numbers any. Just curious.
14-17 volts will only be there when you're charging and 17 volts is way too high for most flood wet cell batteries, 12.6-12.8 volts is the regular voltage of a fully charged flood wet cell battery.

Got some homework for those who want to get a properly learning on 12 volt living .

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #4172

Sounds to me like that C-Pap unit is the problem. Back then a cell phone took two hands to hold. Lots of advances in technology. I would be afraid it wasn't doing a good job. Sleep apnea can be a killer. I just saw on the news yesterday that it increase the rate of cancerous tumors because they grew faster in a low oxygen situation because they put out more blood vessels looking for oxygen.

Tags
camping