Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #421

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Can't this thread simply be removed and put out if its misery?

I find that if im tired of a specific thread on this site I simply dont visit it anymore. My wife loves re runs of old shows like All in the family and I watch them to but after a while I have had my fill. Instead of calling the network to ask if they could change there lineup, I simply change channels to watch something else.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
...this whole Walmart thread seems to be going no where at all and that poor horse has been dead for a long time. . . Can't this thread simply be removed and put out if its misery?
NO! While you might be tired of this thread there are many newbies and folks who have never parked in a parking lot overnight, whether from need or choice, who will benefit from this discussion. The wally-docking experience continues to evolve and change as time goes on. If this thread keeps up with the changes, then it will be an ongoing reference to wally-docking in all types of parking lots (including rest areas). Folks who have never wally-docked before need to know what to expect and how to behave. Yes, we get a little warped on the subject. But is is a good thing for the newbies to realize and to read the reasoning behind the ones who advocate wally-docking and the ones who are against wally-docking.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #423

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Last year, just before Christmas, the DW and yours truly were on our way to Florida.

We got a late start and ended up in Windsor Ontario at about 10:30 at night.

I don't think that Windsor has a campground close to the Ambassador Bridge and even if there was one, I doubt that it would have been open so we went to the local Walley World.

Being Christmas time Walley World is open 24 hours so we went inside and asked about parking. The nice lady said no problem, just park over there in that corner and if you want or need to run the generator, help yourself! Wow!

She then got on the radio and called security to let them know.

We no sooner got back to the coach and the security guard came by and for giving him a tour of the coach he promised that no one would disturb us. He was just curious as he had never seen inside one before.

Real nice guy and true to his word. He even joined us for coffee in the morning.

We have not stayed overnight in any Walmart since but they sure do give my credit card a workout every time we go there!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #424

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
. . . Can't this thread simply be removed and put out if its misery?

I, respectfully, disagree with removing it.

While, for some reason, a Wal Mart thread seems to really bother people, it was very helpful to me.

Until I read a Wal Mart thread, a couple of years ago, I had no idea that overnight parking, there, was even possible.

While I have never used one, I appreciate knowing about it and I also- from the Wal Mart thread- learned the etiquette of parking there. Things that I would not have known otherwise.

I am glad that it was there, for me, and while I do not understand why people get so heated about seeing it on this site- am glad that it was. I enjoy reading them and enjoy reading the fun, tongue-in-cheek way that some people write.

Sheila
Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #425

Monaco Owners Club
When I cant find a campground or drive to late, I am so grateful to be allowed the use of a Wally! I never have tried to look like we were taking up a residence! Can anyone doubt that there are many people that would love to put an end to our use of a Wally? Its there for a place to sleep, not camp! Still, I dont mind those that do as they please! That untill they throw us all out! Allegro5
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post

I, respectfully, disagree with removing it.

While, for some reason, a Wal Mart thread seems to really bother people, it was very helpful to me.

Until I read a Wal Mart thread, a couple of years ago, I had no idea that overnight parking, there, was even possible.

While I have never used one, I appreciate knowing about it and I also- from the Wal Mart thread- learned the etiquette of parking there. Things that I would not have known otherwise.

I am glad that it was there, for me, and while I do not understand why people get so heated about seeing it on this site- am glad that it was. I enjoy reading them and enjoy reading the fun, tongue-in-cheek way that some people write.

Sheila
A healthy attitude indeed!

As most folks do, we practice a reasonable degree of congeniality and hospitality - any of our relatives and friends are ENTIRELY welcome to stop by for a visit - or a stay, if a longer visit or occasion is planned.

BUT, we had this ONE family, that every 6 months or so would show up unannounced at our front door, with a stack of suitcases, and the clear intention of moving in for several days of free room and board at a time - with NO regard for our own plans...

Needless to say, they wore out THEIR welcome very quickly!

I too, appreciate the existance of scattered locations where an unusual situation creates a need for an unscheduled stop, and overnight stay - BUT, I pretty much figure it IS for unusual situations. In the 50 years or so we have been RVing in one form or another, we've needed such "hospitality" on 2 occasions - and were grateful for what we got - and neither of those involved a Walmart.

One was an abandoned service station on the outskirts of Needles Ca., when we lost a 5er wheel bearing late on a Saturday evening - and another was down in Louisiana at a rest stop, when a horrific traffic accident wiped out most of one of the area's basketball (I think it was) teams - and traffic was blocked for hours - and that rest stop was ALL we had available.

"Hospitality" is nice - but CAN be abused and taken advantage of to the point it is no longer offered, to ANYONE, and when/if that happens, we all lose!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #427

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a brilliant idea...and at my age those don't come around very often. Lets discuss over nighting at Wal Mart, not whether this thread should continue. As Route 66 said (wrote of course), unless the rules are broken this thread will continue.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #428

Monaco Owners Club
Man up - and admit it's another form of freeloading - "RV welfare" - and just get on with it!

We are currently on vacation and I will admit that Walmarts have been quite useful on this trip as well as Flying Js and rest areas.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #429

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Gary - K7GLD
BUT, we had this ONE family, that every 6 months or so would show up unannounced at our front door, with a stack of suitcases, and the clear intention of moving in for several days of free room and board at a time - with NO regard for our own plans...
John pulling into a Wal Mart or other parking lot with your own quarters (RV) your own food and appliances is a lot different than the above experience. But your point is well made for those who believe it is their given right to homestead anywhere they want and doing as they like without regard for other persons rights or properties.
(I had a similar experience in the past) Where an RV'er who was invited to stay overnight in my driveway, all but moved into the house. At the end of 6 days I had tell them it was time to leave. DW then asked me not to invite anyone else. Well for someone in a pinch I still might but ground rules will be laid out first and adhered too.

Quote:
georgetown350
Man up - and admit it's another form of freeloading - "RV welfare" - and just get on with it!
Nope! in the above example I cooked all the meals in the house and they invited themselves in, and themselves was their only contribution, geez I don't think I even got a thank you. I thought the invite was only for a day or so and decided to be hospitable (bad mistake on my part) Now after six days of their august presence that's what I call freeloading and could maybe add a few more well deserved monikers.
Note: I realize that part of your post was in humor, but it opened the door to an example and definition of freeloading.

Quote:
Sheila ~snip~

Sheila
Sheila's post was right on, etiquette for overnighting at Wally is found only on the forums. Like her we developed our own self rules for overnighting, (1)Ask permission (2) leave the site as clean, or better than we found it. Referred to as "No trace camping"
As far as people getting heated up, I guess it's because of unfairly having an objectionable adjective added to their personality. Then there's me, maybe part troll, who could care less of what I might be called because of my overnighting. Fact is, irregardless of what anyone thinks, I'm going to continue my overnighting practice where allowed as long as we have the RV.
One thing that should be discussed here is personal safety, I have to say that only one time that we moved on because the place didn't feel right. (sense of awareness).

Cheers
Willey
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #430

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I personally think the OPTION to use Walmart and similar areas for occasional, emergency or unusual situation parking is great - never used it myself, but who knows what the future holds? I merely am opposed to those who insist on the use of parking lots as their MAIN SOURCE of overnight stays -
The above is a strong objection to Wally parking. Could there be campground owners in here in disguise?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #431

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
No problem with campground owners expressing their opinions as well. All are welcome. I will still use the most efficient place to spend the night based on my needs at the time.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #432

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
No problem with campground owners expressing their opinions as well. All are welcome. I will still use the most efficient place to spend the night based on my needs at the time.
Well very true, in fact another point of view is certainly welcome if it is justified in the post. I can recall one camp ground owner (Western Campground Owner, I believe is his handle) who posts on the net, who contributes much to a thread (a pleasure to read) who also overnights at Wal Marts while on the road.
A statement such as " I merely am opposed to those who insist on the use of parking lots as their MAIN SOURCE of overnight stays - " has no expressed reason as to why they (the poster) would feel that way so contributes little if anything to the discussion. I find statements like that to be Troll like as it seems to be baiting those of an opposite view into a free for all ending up with a locked thread. It also might give the impression to a newbie reading such a post that by overnighting at a parking lot they would be doing something that is not an considered an acceptable practice.
Just my honest opinion as I make use of parking lots as my main source of overnight stays, (park in the evening and gone in the morning). I make no excuses nor have remorse for what I do.
Cheers
Willey
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #433

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I think palehorse89' s post deserves an AMEN.
AMEN!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #434

Walmart is a very successful business. It is in their best interests to allow RV's to park over night. Even most walmarts that post no over night parking allow it, if you ask.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping