Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #4355

Monaco Owners Club
I have been in many Walmart parking lots, and seen people out sitting in their lawn chairs beside their RV. I also see people sitting on benches by the store. Some sit in their cars. If the management at Walmart did not like it I am sure they would react. I don't think they leave that up to some self appointed rule makers, to stuff it down others throats. Last year I had an alternator fail and pulled into the Walmart in Edson Alberta. Asked the manager if he minded me changing the alternator there, and he said no problem at all, stay as long as you need to. Common sense usually prevails with most people, but not with all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #4356
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You win.
That's puzzling.

I didn't think this was a battle or a contest.

I thought it was a forum for the sharing of accurate information.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #4357

I knew you couldn't just take the win without getting in the last word.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #4358
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
What do these pseudo-rule enforcement clubs do with the vast majority of rv'ers that don't waste their time on these Forums learning all the rules?
If by "pseudo-rule enforcement clubs" you mean the groups that have adopted and endorsed FMCA's Good Neighbor policy, then you've missed the point entirely. These clubs exist for a myriad of reasons, virtually all NOT related to Walmart parking. But they're also smart enough to recognize the wisdom and the long-term positive effect of the Good Neighbor Policy, and have voluntarily adopted it and recommended it to their own menbers.

Many of those organizations are very active in following state and local legislation (& proposed laws) that affect the rights of RVers. When there's something that their members can do to help prevent Anti-RVer laws, they tell their members about it.

Fortunately for the rest of us, the majority of RVers, whether they participate in forums like this or not, understand the difference between camping and parking, so when they park at a Walmart they do just that -- park -- whether or not they've ever seen or heard of the "Good Neighbor Policy."
Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #4359

Gulf Streamers Club
Sitting outside in a Walmart parking lot, if my milk crate has a back on it to give lumbar support, is that O.K, according to the Grand PooBahs of Good Citizenship for RVers?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #4360
Community Administrator

I think Walmart allows overnighters to encourage business. If you stay there every night then I doubt you give them business every night as most people do a major shop once a week. The two times I stayed there , I spent major bucks and the managers told me to come back real soon. My bed needs the slide to be out and my slides need the jacks to be down. Nuff said.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #4361
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I knew you couldn't just take the win without getting in the last word.
The only winning or losing in this discussion is in your own mind.

The REAL winning occurs when an attempt to ban Overnight RV Parking anyplace but in a licensed campground does not become law.

There was exactly such a bill in the Maine legislature in 2010, which would have made it illegal to sleep in an RV anywhere in the entire state, except in a licensed campground. The state legislator who introduced the bill changed her mind and and withdrew it -- after she was contacted by the legsislative staff of the Escapees, and after she read an interview that I gave to the largest newspaper in the state.

The real losing occurs when an RVer's actions are the "last straw" that cause a Walmart manager to decide "no more overnight RV parking." And we may never know just what an RVer did to move the manager to that decision.

The real losing occurs when RVer behavior in a parking lot upsets a city council member who then gets a "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance passed, and then drives by the local Walmart every night and calls the police if there are any RVs there. (This actually happens in a city in Wisconsin.)

The real losing occurs when RVers do things that locals notice. No matter how natural or normal it may seem to RVers, if the locals notice -- especially a local campground owner or local tourism official -- it can also be the start of a local ban on Overnight RV Parking. In many cities all across the country, it has happened exactly this way. (But if an RV is simply parked in the lot in the evening and gone the next morning, the locals generally don't notice.)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4362

Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of the "Rules" or recommendations. It's just that I don't think some self appointed, sanctimonious group or person should be trying to shove them down my throat or write a "book" every time they reply to a valid post. Some of my posts may appear "Smart Aleck" to some, but judging from other posts, I'm not alone.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4363
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of the "Rules" or recommendations. It's just that I don't think some self appointed, sanctimonious group or person should be trying to shove them down my throat or write a "book" every time they reply to a valid post. Some of my posts may appear "Smart Aleck" to some, but judging from other posts, I'm not alone.
This is dangerous , but I agree. Don't get used to it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #4364

I've said enough; I'm done.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #4365
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, we've about beaten the topic of "rules" for Wallydocking to death and comments are starting to get too heated so please tone it down.

Thanks

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #4366

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have never YET overnighted in a Walmart parking lot, but I have stopped there to take a nap. It was late afternoon and I was falling asleep at the wheel. I pulled into a Walmart parking lot about 5:00 and woke up again at 7:00. I was then able to continue my drive back home safely.
If they pass an ordinance against sleeping in a vehicle that will keep many unsafe, drowsy drivers on the road.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #4367

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"What about the Code Captain?"
"The Code? It's nothing more than a set of guidelines."

Captain Jack Sparrow answering his First Mate's question about adhering to the Code.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #4368

I never realized there was a code of conduct. I've stayed at Wal mart probably 5 or 6 times on the way to destinations. I got a wife and 2 kids so the slides have to go out. Each visit, I made sure all groceries, sun tan lotions, nick nacks, swim suits etc... were all purchased there. Id say at over 100 bux per trip they got their cut. Usually the ones near the shore points have had at least 5 rigs there so I just blend in the mix! Never had a problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping