Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #4593

After all this Walmart parking lot discussion I have to wonder why Walmart HQ doesn't simply provide a hand out sheet to their stores for campers and truckers with a set of guidelines. After all, when you have thousands of Walmarts dealing with thousands of campers and truckers it's easy to see how there could be some problems and misunderstandings.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #4594

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo View Post
...so, I had to look this up on the Internet because I thought I had read it somewhere! Sam Walton (founder of Wal Mart), was an RV'er himself. It is corporate policy that RV'ers can stay overnight (1) at Wal Mart parking lots, but some people are abusing that privilege, and ruining it for the rest of us. Policy states no awnings, BBQ grills, noise, and clean up when you leave.

It's not cute to set up camp for more than one night. Pass this along to those leeches that want to camp for free and will ruin this great PRIVILEGE that Mr. Walton instituted to help out his fellow RV'ers.
*Information obtained from "FreeCampgrounds.com"
I think you have been to a site that purports to know WM's policy on overnighting, but they have given you some eroneous information. Here is the link to the official WM policy:
Walmartstores.com: RV Parking and here is what it says:
"Many of our locations allow overnight RV parking. This decision is left primarily in the discretion of store management. Also, some communities have local ordinances, which prohibit overnight parking. We value each of our customers and allowing overnight parking can enhance the one-stop shopping convenience for RV'ers, where permissible."

Please note it does not say anything about one night. It doesn't mention "leeches" or awnings or noise or BBQ's or anything other than what I quoted above. Wal-Mart depends on it's visitors to use common sense, that's all. We don't camp at WM, we overnight. When granting permission to park your RV overnight the manager expects you to use your RV like an RV.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #4595

I went by my local WM yesterday and saw one MH with three window awnings on the west side out and a slide out on the east side. Mind you it's been getting to 110+s for several months. It was way in the back, near about 15 semis, where no shoppers would even think of parking. No BBQ or chairs could be seen. They were probably in the store spending money to show their appreciation.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo View Post
It's not cute to set up camp for more than one night. Pass this along to those leeches that want to camp for free and will ruin this great PRIVILEGE that Mr. Walton instituted to help out his fellow RV'ers.
Is this some kind of joke? Who would want to camp at a Wal*mart? There's no lakes or whistling pines or hiking trails. What kind of camping experience would this be for a family?

Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances. Like maybe a break down or death in the family and it was cleared with the manager. Don't be so quick to judge others without knowing the facts.

Posts like that put thoughts in minds of the money monger camp ground owners and municipalities.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #4597

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
After all this Walmart parking lot discussion I have to wonder why Walmart HQ doesn't simply provide a hand out sheet to their stores for campers and truckers with a set of guidelines. After all, when you have thousands of Walmarts dealing with thousands of campers and truckers it's easy to see how there could be some problems and misunderstandings.
They do, it's on the Internet and "Madrona" posted it just after your post.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #4598

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I went by my local WM yesterday and saw one MH with three window awnings on the west side out and a slide out on the east side. Mind you it's been getting to 110+s for several months. It was way in the back, near about 15 semis, where no shoppers would even think of parking. No BBQ or chairs could be seen. They were probably in the store spending money to show their appreciation.
Exactly, Dunner, common sense at work, here.

We recently spent three nights at WM in Omak, WA. We left each morning and returned each night. It was 100+ each day. Because the lots is not flat, we used jacks, like we always do. I don't know about others, but our jacks have large round pads that touch the surface. We have never caused any damage and we have never seen any damage caused by others. Consequenly, we use jacks every time we need to. If the lot is flat, we don't. We also put our slides out, but not into a lane of traffic. And, we use the generator a lot. I don't mean a little, I mean a lot. It's a parking lot for cripes sake. It's not supposed to be quiet and it's not going to be quiet. If someone doesn't like the sound of my relatively quiet generator they can move, but I promise, I didn't park next to them and started it up. They parked next to me, probably while it was running.

That's where I draw the line, but I don't have any problem with what others do. I would never put out my main awning, but might put out others given the circumstances you cited. You do what you gotta do, that's all.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #4599

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am a newby, as a matter of fact, won't even have our MH 2001 Monaco Diplomat Le 38PBD until next week. I found this site on line after a few friends told me about it. So far, I have enjoyed reading the forums and should keep my mouth shut but,
When you have someone offer you the ability to park on their property, you should be considerate and thankful.
Too many people act like it's their right to do whatever they want in the parking lot well, it's not their property and sooner or later no overnight parking sign will go up.
Well as I said I should just keep my mouth shut but I also have the right to express my thoughts on the subject.
So much for my first and last post.

Be Careful Out There
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #4600
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthur View Post
I am a newby, as a matter of fact, won't even have our MH 2001 Monaco Diplomat Le 38PBD until next week. I found this site on line after a few friends told me about it. So far, I have enjoyed reading the forums and should keep my mouth shut but,
When you have someone offer you the ability to park on their property, you should be considerate and thankful.
Too many people act like it's their right to do whatever they want in the parking lot well, it's not their property and sooner or later no overnight parking sign will go up.
Well as I said I should just keep my mouth shut but I also have the right to express my thoughts on the subject.

Be Careful Out There
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig!

First and LAST post??? No worries... join in the fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #4601

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Be Careful Out There
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I hope this won't be your last post, the forum works because of people like you who voice their opinions.

What you have said is well taken. Many times these days people tend to take a "I'm the only one who matters, I do what I want." attitude.

In general, if people who stay at WalMart will just:

A) park out of the way, and
B) try to keep a low, unobtrusive profile, and
C) leave the space better than they found it...

...WalMart will be delighted every time an RVer pulls into the lot.

In general, if the WalMart manager has to hear any complaints about an RVer from his employees, or worse, his customers, that RVer is doing damage to the priviledge.

On the other hand, if I ask for permission to park, and that is the last time the manager ever sees or hears from me or about me, he's happy.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #4602

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Be Careful Out There
Don't let it be your last post! We are looking forward to hearing all your Wal-Mart experiences as you practice the art of overnighting in their parking lot.

As to the thoughts of others, we have to assume everyone is considerate and thankful for WM's generosity. I know I am. It's not my property, that's why I always gain permission and clean up after myself and, usually, after others as well.

Best to you and yours as you begin your RV experiences!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4603

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

A) park out of the way, and
B) try to keep a low, unobtrusive profile, and
C) leave the space better than they found it...

...WalMart will be delighted every time an RVer pulls into the lot.
Agreed!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #4604

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Your opinion is just as valid as others. Have fun. Mostly it is common courtesy. Respect WM and they will respect us.

MY opinion is:
Ask permission - yes
Park where told or way out of the way - yes
awning - no
BBQ -no (hello!!! why BBQ when you can get a $6.00 chicken)
bedroom slide - yes (over grass - never in traffic lanes)
Generator - only if needed
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #4605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They do, it's on the Internet and "Madrona" posted it just after your post.
Not everyone motoring around the country in an RV uses the internet, can use the internet, even cares about the internet or reads this forum if they are on the internet. Many places I go such as RV parks, National Parks, Wildlife Management areas where camping is permitted nearly all have handouts with a list of dos and don'ts. My point is that Walmart doesn't, they sometimes have problems so perhaps they should have a one sheet handout for overnighters.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #4606

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
Not everyone motoring around the country in an RV uses the internet, can use the internet, even cares about the internet or reads this forum if they are on the internet. Many places I go such as RV parks, National Parks, Wildlife Management areas where camping is permitted nearly all have handouts with a list of dos and don'ts. My point is that Walmart doesn't, they sometimes have problems so perhaps they should have a one sheet handout for overnighters.
The deal is, they don't have any list of do's and don'ts, except ask the manager for permission.

I'm not aware of any problems WM has acknowledged. It seems most "problems" are brought about by RV'ers, mostly clubs, that feel they must control the behavior of WM guests and overnighters. They are the ones that have come up with a list of do's and don'ts.

Common sense always applies. That's my rule, what's yours?

Closed Thread

Tags
camping