Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #4621

Tiffin Owners Club
I was going to write something real pithy about this issue and how people behave etc., but you know what it really won't matter. Those that want to do what ever will and those that don't won't. If more WalMarts can't allow overnight stays it is not because of what I did. I'm going to miss not having the privilege of staying over night there, no one cares what I miss cause they are all about themselves and what they want to do and heaven forbid I cause someone to feel like they should act responsible, that just wouldn't do!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #4622

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
We're gonna get spanked!
That sounds kinky to me!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #4623
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I guess round 46 is finished. Are we ready for the next round? As much as we have gone over this, we should have learned the number one rule here; be nice.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
The deal is, they don't have any list of do's and don'ts, except ask the manager for permission.

I'm not aware of any problems WM has acknowledged. It seems most "problems" are brought about by RV'ers, mostly clubs, that feel they must control the behavior of WM guests and overnighters. They are the ones that have come up with a list of do's and don'ts.

Common sense always applies. That's my rule, what's yours?
Your common sense is not necessarily someone else's common sense. I think many would agree when confronted with an unfamiliar situation with an absence of guidelines, one would do what others are doing. So if one goes overnighting at Walmart and sees others with grills out, slides extended, jacks into the asphalt etc. reliance on common sense would indicate this is acceptable behavior. It's already been mentioned here in many postings that these things happen and suddenly Walmart no longer allows overnighting at that store.

As someone who served 29 years in the USN I learned at a very early age that rules and guidelines are necessary for some folks. Relying on someone's common sense to be the same as yours or anyone else's common sense for that matter just isn't sensible. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

As for your comment about RV club's, I know nothing about RV clubs. I follow the Groucho Marx rule about joining clubs, fraternal organizations, etc. I have read that he said he would not belong to anything like that if they would be willing to have someone like him as a member.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #4625

Thor Owners Club
I agree. I served 10 years active duty and finishing the rest in the reserves. In the absence of rules most people fail to regulate themselves and cannot be trusted to ever do so.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #4626

The best reserved parking sign I've seen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2757758090.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	24253  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4627

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post

Nice!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #4628

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone commented that what we find common, may not always be that common.

True, Full agreement.

I will give an actual example.

On a guess, I'd venture that 100% of the people reading these words actually know how to read, and most of them likely can read well.

I know people who can pick up a book, one they have never seen before, open it to apage at random and begin to read,, And do it like they have spent hours preparing to read that very passage.

I also know other peple who would need half an hour to read this post.

We here in the forum, tend toward the former and tend to take reading for granted.. Alas.. Not everyone is as good as we at it.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #4629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
EXCELLENT!! Where is that sign?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #4630

Walmart is our favorite stop over. We always ask the help desk if we are the only motorhome there to make certain we're in the right place and that there are no city ordinance that disallows parking rvs there. We have been told to leave a few times for this reason. We rarely open our slides. But if we're in early say 6PM we will open one or two when we're parked on the curb with no parking or street on the slide side. We run the geny for a little while during diner and a bit after.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4631

The posted rules for staying aat Wal-Mart have been developed by many clubs with the consultation of Wal-Mart corporate offices and many, many individual store owners to try to avoid the closing down of our prividulage in so many of the stores. The abuses have been well documented. Those who think their individual opinions trump all of the research that went into them have caused some of these closings. They will respond here with invective and that they know better. This is their right of course, but I for one sure hate to see their lack of respect for the long establsihed rules be flaunted so badly. RVing is suposed to be fun and being respectful of others used to be common. How many of us have picked up after other campfires or taken candy wrappers off of a national park trail? Flaunting these long established rules is the same thing. Not caring for the rights of others seems to be a growing deal amoung campers and it is a sad thing to see happen.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #4632
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The posted rules for staying aat Wal-Mart have been developed by many clubs with the consultation of Wal-Mart corporate offices and many, many individual store owners
Really? I think I have a problem with that statement
See My RV Upgrades
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #4633
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Really? I think I have a problem with that statement
Really. Me too

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #4634

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The posted rules for staying aat Wal-Mart have been developed by many clubs with the consultation of Wal-Mart corporate offices and many, many individual store owners to try to avoid the closing down of our prividulage in so many of the stores. The abuses have been well documented. Those who think their individual opinions trump all of the research that went into them have caused some of these closings. They will respond here with invective and that they know better. This is their right of course, but I for one sure hate to see their lack of respect for the long establsihed rules be flaunted so badly. RVing is suposed to be fun and being respectful of others used to be common. How many of us have picked up after other campfires or taken candy wrappers off of a national park trail? Flaunting these long established rules is the same thing. Not caring for the rights of others seems to be a growing deal amoung campers and it is a sad thing to see happen.
Lindsay, you have a lot to add to this thread and I appreciate your knowledge.

You speak of "posted rules." You speak of clubs. Wal-Mart has no rules unless a particular store or manager mentions them. That's why I say common sense always applies. Of course some people lack common sense. We can't do much about that whether it is overnighting at WM or jumping off a bridge. It is not our place to attempt to enforce rules that WM doesn't have.

Just because I or others don't respect the rules that some group of people have determined to be correct doesn't mean we are disrespectful. If I see litter on the ground, I pick it up. If I see carts strewn about the WM lot, I gather them and put them in their place. If I don't, someone might think I littered or caused carts to be out of place. I don't want anyone thinking anything bad about me so I do what I can to ensure that doesn't happen. I don't need a rule about these actions, it's just common sense. I try to do what's right, in place of a list of rules. If I wanted to follow a bunch of rules I would check it at a campground, although they are no where near as convenient as WM but they sure do have their rules.

I've stayed overnight at a lot of WM's but I'm not sure I ever saw anyone being abusive of the privledge. I have on occasion seen people sitting in chairs outside their RV. This is something I wouldn't do, but I don't think it caused any harm to anyone else. Some neighbors might have a problem with it, but I'm not sure why. I don't do it because I'm not there long enough to get comfortable and besides, it's noisy out there. It just doesn't interest me.

I do use my jacks, almost always. I've done it in 100 degree heat. I've never seen any damage caused by me or anyone else using jacks. If someone has a picture of the damage, I would love to see it.

I do use my slides but not where they would protrude into anyone's way.

I do use my generator a lot, but I never pull in next to someone else and fire it up. I park away from others. If someone pulls up next to me, I move. If my very quiet diesel generator is bothering someone it's because they parked right next to me.

I just don't see a need for a list of rules and just because someone doesn't acknowledge this list doesn't mean they are disrespectful. I figure I've got an agreement with WM when they give me permission to park. I do not have an agreement with anyone else. There is nothing disrespectul about that.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping