Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #4747
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
Yeah, I get that, that's why I said "Most." If the lots is small and we don't have any choice but to park next to someone, we will travel on.
, doesn't always have to be a small lot either . The ones I experienced it at had huge lots, but they wanted to keep the RVs corralled at one end of the lot to accommodate traffic.
__________________

__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #4748
Senior Member
 
Boeing Guy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 304
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
I think that most people that overnight at WM are loners.
I'm not sure if MOST people who stay at WM are loners. I am not a loner. I love people, and if anyone wants to wave hi at WM, please do. Right back atcha!!! But I sure don't stop at WM for companionship. If I want that, i stay at a CG. WM is just a resting place. Have an "off the road" cocktail, Eat, spend $100, sleep, eat again, spend another $100, laugh with my bride about our "FREE" night's stay, and on the road again. WM has the most expensive chickens I have ever seen. I can't remember the last time a WM stay "cost" less than a CG. However, I have something to show for my money other than a MC receipt. Everyone is different. Those who prefer MC reciepts to a chicken, couple of potatoes, some baked goods, pack of RV TP, paper plates, Rubber maid bins, iPad cord, new shirt, pair of shorts, pack of batteries, cat food, and a few impulse items at the register, I thank you. More parking spaces for me.
__________________

__________________
Jim and Vicky, Belleville, IL
2004 Winnebago Journey
2012 Explorer Toad
Boeing Guy is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #4749
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I've noted one thing in my time reading Walmart threads of all shapes and sizes and that is that most people that do actually participate in the forums almost always spend time shopping the walmarts.

I wonder how well this applies to the RV population as a whole? Do sleep and shoppers make up a majority or are they more a minority of the walmart overnighters?

Myself, it is a free night, I usually don't shop a walmart unless there's something I need, so most of my time at them has been park and sleep, get up in the morning, make breakfast, then move on. Regular grocery items I usually stop at supermarkets before because the produce quality tends to be better.

The majority of time that I do spend in overnighting walmarts is to use their john as it's usually alot more comfortable to use than the one in my rig's tiny little bathroom .
__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #4750
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I've noted one thing in my time reading Walmart threads of all shapes and sizes and that is that most people that do actually participate in the forums almost always spend time shopping the walmarts.

I wonder how well this applies to the RV population as a whole? Do sleep and shoppers make up a majority or are they more a minority of the walmart overnighters?

Myself, it is a free night, I usually don't shop a walmart unless there's something I need, so most of my time at them has been park and sleep, get up in the morning, make breakfast, then move on. Regular grocery items I usually stop at supermarkets before because the produce quality tends to be better.

The majority of time that I do spend in overnighting walmarts is to use their john as it's usually alot more comfortable to use than the one in my rig's tiny little bathroom .
Information Overload.....
__________________
Macpeety is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #4751
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Information Overload.....
It's not anymore overloading than the discussion about people using the bathhouses at an RV Park vs their own facilities.
__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #4752
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
It's not anymore overloading than the discussion about people using the bathhouses at an RV Park vs their own facilities.
I agree, where is the quality of discussion for that topic. I can find many more topics to discuss. I'm afraid to follow-up with any questions or remarks on that post......Here goes. Do really spend most of the day in the WM Restrooms?
__________________
Macpeety is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #4753
Senior Member
 
WilleyB's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 483
A two points to discuss, meeting people at WM. I fact yes, many times and they were people who recognised the photo of my RV and the I.R.V. decal by the door. These were people I knew from only online.

As far as spending the time in the store (let alone the washroom facilities) I do some shopping and if necessary I will use their washroom. There are lots of free and low cost dumpstations along the ways that I never worry about that. Our worst worry is finding laundromats, everything else is available without going to a camp ground

never let it be said that WilleyB was too cheap to pay for pooping, but if the horses can do it for nothing why can't we?

Cheers
Willey
__________________
Vanguard VXL2000
Ford V10 Super Duty
Me the Missus and Gabby
WilleyB is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #4754
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Information Overload.....
Actually we have a popup so we do not have a 'WC' in our trailer. That's one reason we don't stay overnight at walmarts in Canada since they are not open 24 hours.
__________________
RickCanada is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #4755
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety

I agree, where is the quality of discussion for that topic. I can find many more topics to discuss. I'm afraid to follow-up with any questions or remarks on that post......Here goes. Do really spend most of the day in the WM Restrooms?
Not the whole day, I think my punctuation must be amiss, I was referring to the fact during most of my overnight walmart stays the only reason I would be in the store would be to use the bathroom, not that I was in there most of the day.
__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #4756
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Not the whole day, I think my punctuation must be amiss, I was referring to the fact during most of my overnight walmart stays the only reason I would be in the store would be to use the bathroom, not that I was in there most of the day.
Now that's better. You had me worried for awhile.
__________________
Macpeety is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #4757
Senior Member
 
Akibase's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 254
Just as a point of interest. My DW and I were out for the buffet at Casino New Brunswick, Moncton last night. There were 19 RV's overnighting. We had our meal and then dropped in to Walmart to pick up a few things. I could not believe it, but there were 23 RV's overnighting there. The campgrounds must be suffering. Maybe if they would open their eyes and look at the attitude that they have with their overnighters they might not be worried about WM taking their business. I sometimes wonder if these campgrounds try to hire grumpy, unfriendly people to man the desk. I refuse to pay 40.00 to rest for a few hours and dump my tanks if required. i can dump at Flying J. Walmart bends over backwards to accommodate us if allowed by local ordinances. As RV'ers we provide some level of security to their business. It is convenient to us to be able to restock supplies without having to unhook. I have never overnighted at WM without doing some lot cleanup or gathering carts. Thank you Walmart for your hospitality! (and with a smile too)
__________________
I HAVE NEVER FAILED, BUT I HAVE HAD SUCCESS IN FINDING OUT WHAT DOESN'T WORK.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #4758
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Just as a point of interest. My DW and I were out for the buffet at Casino New Brunswick, Moncton last night. There were 19 RV's overnighting. We had our meal and then dropped in to Walmart to pick up a few things. I could not believe it, but there were 23 RV's overnighting there. The campgrounds must be suffering. Maybe if they would open their eyes and look at the attitude that they have with their overnighters they might not be worried about WM taking their business. I sometimes wonder if these campgrounds try to hire grumpy, unfriendly people to man the desk. I refuse to pay 40.00 to rest for a few hours and dump my tanks if required. i can dump at Flying J. Walmart bends over backwards to accommodate us if allowed by local ordinances. As RV'ers we provide some level of security to their business. It is convenient to us to be able to restock supplies without having to unhook. I have never overnighted at WM without doing some lot cleanup or gathering carts. Thank you Walmart for your hospitality! (and with a smile too)
especially regarding the Campgrounds opening their eyes rather than pushing ordinances on us. That adds insult to injury.
__________________
Macpeety is offline  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #4759
Senior Member
 
Murf2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,842
Even without the payment, spending a single night at a CG means there's all the necessary hassles of finding the place (they're rarely just off the highway) registering, finding the site, getting parked and maybe leveled. And that's if they're even open at the time of night you want to stop driving for the day.

If I'm heading some where I'd rather drive till 10 or 11 then pull off for the night and be back on the road by 7 at the latest.

For that I'd rather be in a WM or Cracker Barrel parking lot 2 minutes off the highway.

It also almost always means there's a gas station or three right there.
__________________
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline  
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #4760
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26
Which Walmart

A question to Washington State Walmart parkers.

I'll be heading to Leavenworth the weekend after Labor Day. I'm vending at a quilt show and have to be there around noon to start setting up my booth. I'm coming from Spokane and have already shot by budget on CG reservations for the weekend. I'm thinking of heading over a day earlier than planned, spend the night at the Walmart in Wenatchee so I can be in Leavenworth early enough to get the trailer parked, truck unhitched and be ready to set my booth up early afternoon.

So after all that, how is the WM in Wenatchee for overnighting? Or is there a better/safer one on I-90 between Spokane and Wenatchee. I'm traveling by myself and while I'm OK with it, my husband is less than thrilled with this plan. And this is the first long(er) trip with our "new to us" travel trailer? Am I nutz?
__________________

__________________
one-nighter is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
camping



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Canadian Walmarts banning Overnight RV Parking jobriant Boondocking 77 11-18-2010 08:36 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.