Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #4943

Monaco Owners Club
Jeeze can't believe I'm posting in here....
just hoping it gets to 5000 then dies a quiet death

Sorry, have not, and probably will not stop at a walmart,
as I tend to understand a bit more than
to drive too far that I'm so tired it becomes an emergency stop or
decide to drive my $100k rig around if I can't afford to pay $30 to park...

what's that saying - 'When did YOUR failure become my problem ?"

I really think there should be a government program to subsidize my rv travels...
it's just not fair !!!!

BUT, if I did stop and walmart didn't have a problem with what I did,
then no one should - it's as simple as that....

but some people DO need a life or another to bother
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #4944

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok only 56 more posts to go.
Here is my big question. I have seen so many people on here that refuse to park at a campground, do they always park at walmart? I can see it for overnight, but even so, I would like to be where I am going by 4-5pm. I hate driving the RV IN THE dark. I sure would like to get somewhere, and NOT go shopping, just park and relax, maybe take the toad and go to a movie or out to dinner.

You have to stay at a campground sometime, what about extended stays?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #4945

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I really think there should be a government program to subsidize my rv travels...
it's just not fair !!!!
There is such a program, friend. It simply requires a small contribution. If you'll PM me, I'll tell you where to send a generous check.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #4946

Davedeb1

I think what you are missing in the discussion about never staying in a campground is for most of us I don't think we explain what we mean. For DW and I we avoid PRIVATE campgrounds like the plague. State-National-County campgrounds are for us. When we started RV'ing we saw how most PRIVATE campgrounds crammed the sites close together and nickle and dimed us for things you would not expect. We learnd fast that most State-National-County campgrounds didn,t operate that way.

We will use a Walmart or Flying J for a few hours sleep.

Jim
Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4947

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have seen so many people on here that refuse to park at a campground, do they always park at walmart?
LOL a good queston . Well I'm one of those who hasn't used a campground yet, and my wife has even refused to go to a free one for a few days.
OK to your question (this applies only to us uns, others may diffrer) We also like to be off the road and having our evening meal between 5 and 7pm. Walmarts are not the only places we use and those we do use must be close to our traveled route. The same applies to any other parking lots that are known to allow overnight parking. So ours is a one night stay at each place until we get to our final destination. We don't use awnings (we don't have one). BBQ's take up too much room, ours is a small camper 24 ft. We do have a cheap generator for energencies, we don't have to use it because we are on the road most of the day (house battries get charged then) Our destinations usually terminate at a friend or relative's home and there we visit, but sleep in the RV.
"Dump sites', we use free ones or pay whichever is available when we need it, "doesn't matter"
My wife is quite handicapped, she has MS and the RV is her only means of getting away to outside our home. There are other issues because of the MS that would make the campgrounds more like a prison to her. Me I enjoy going into the stores, looking, buying or just passing the time. We have a Newfoundland dog that travels with us. At those parking lots she gets some exercise on the parking lots but the grassy areas where there is one (not all stores have them) is preferable
In Canada we also park at Zellers (now closing (not enough RV'ers I guess), Canadian Tire Stores, Home Hardware and actually most of the large stores with big lots allow ONP. The big attraction of WalMarts is they are usually close to the highway. After all, rather that drive to a downtown business area in a strange city, I'd be more comfortable going to a camp ground for the night.
SO! as to why we do it, because we can. Overnighting on city streets in the residential areas is not too bad either, just as long as you obey the Parking rules, haven't had a problem with that either.
Cheers
Willey
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #4948

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston
Davedeb1

I think what you are missing in the discussion about never staying in a campground is for most of us I don't think we explain what we mean. For DW and I we avoid PRIVATE campgrounds like the plague. State-National-County campgrounds are for us. When we started RV'ing we saw how most PRIVATE campgrounds crammed the sites close together and nickle and dimed us for things you would not expect. We learnd fast that most State-National-County campgrounds didn,t operate that way.

We will use a Walmart or Flying J for a few hours sleep.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I guess I meant campground to be any of those, state parks and such. I've been having a problem trying to find a suitable site in a state or NP campground. They hardly ever have a good level site to pull in or even back in my 40 ft MH. But, I've been limited to Ohio for camping more or less. I like to stop early, and start out late when traveling. We are spoiled from doing that for many years. Enjoy the ride.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #4949

Well, here I am at a Walmart with slides out. Hope nobody minds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4290612edit.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	658.2 KB
ID:	25902  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #4950

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Jeeze can't believe I'm posting in here....
just hoping it gets to 5000 then dies a quiet death

it's just not fair !!!!
There are at least two of them.
1. You can deduct interest on a loan for your "second home"
2. The interstate highway system
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #4951

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCanada View Post
Well, here I am at a Walmart with slides out. Hope nobody minds!
Nobody should mind if your slides out. You can do whatever you want at Walmart. They don't have any camping rules.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #4952

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure why some people get all upset at what others do. I love campgrounds, private and public. And I am a planner. I plan to get up tomorrow. I plan to drive a while. And I plan to stop and sleep. Wally World is so convenient - not to mention cheap. Around 5:00 or 6:00, I look in the Next Exit book, find a WM about 120 miles that is close to the highway, pull off the road, have a cocktail, make dinner, watch a movie, sleep for 8 hours, wake up, count the 35 one-dollar bills I keep in my wallet (sometimes twice), have breakfast and get on my way.

If you are not too cheap to spend 30-40, for a nights rest, good for you. More room at WM for me. I will promise not to laugh at you for being foolish, if you promise not to laugh at me for being cheap. Ain't life wonderful.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #4953

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I fully support your right not to use awnings and chairs so long as you support my right to use em glad were back on topic........
I think I'm missing something here. Maybe it's my lack of an extended formal education, but why do some Walmart camper perpetuate an illusion of not camping by not putting out slides, generator, chairs or BBQ when in fact they are camping? I've read on here how some think slides out are OK, others disagree. Some are OK with their patio mat, folding chairs, and baby Weber, whereas others think that's going too far. I look at it in the most simplistic form..Walmart allows camping at their stores, plain and simple. If you want to have all the outdoor accessories set up, go ahead....why not? It's Walmart's call as to how much they will allow, and apparently, the sky's nearly the limit. I have never camped at WM, but if I do, I'm setting up like I paid for the spot.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #4954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I'm not sure why some people get all upset at what others do. I love campgrounds, private and public. And I am a planner. I plan to get up tomorrow. I plan to drive a while. And I plan to stop and sleep. Wally World is so convenient - not to mention cheap. Around 5:00 or 6:00, I look in the Next Exit book, find a WM about 120 miles that is close to the highway, pull off the road, have a cocktail, make dinner, watch a movie, sleep for 8 hours, wake up, count the 35 one-dollar bills I keep in my wallet (sometimes twice), have breakfast and get on my way.

If you are not too cheap to spend 30-40, for a nights rest, good for you. More room at WM for me. I will promise not to laugh at you for being foolish, if you promise not to laugh at me for being cheap. Ain't life wonderful.
You make a good point. Maybe more of us need to use the free facilities at Walmart.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #4955

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe it's my lack of an extended formal education, but why do some Walmart camper perpetuate an illusion of not camping by not putting out slides, generator, chairs or BBQ when in fact they are camping?
Well you can hardly see a 43 ft coach when the slides are in

When people see 10 motorhomes all with slides in at 2 am I guess they will presume there was a big overnight sale on one ply tissue and that the coaches are empty.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #4956

I kind of figured if we ever got involved in some type of delay during a planned trip, a stop over in a Walmart lot would be OK, just to have a place to sleep that is easy to get in and out of and sells food and supplies. One never knows, but I kind of have to agree, making full camp there might give the wrong impression to those people out there that seem to live for nothing else but to mind everyone's business.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping