Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5111

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The 5'er and trailer are not tow dollies or toad.. They can be backed up.. Very, very carefully, but they can.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #5112

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Not my unit, save for some long time back. But have three Wally's world in the immediate (Medford,OR) area and never an issue. People park, they shop, they do what-ever and never even a piece of paper on the ground when they leave. Age of 'unit' appears to not have anything to do with this 'Let's not screw this up.'
Hey you are on topic.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5113

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
That set up has more backing up ability then a toad behind a motorhome and if parked on an angle at Walmart it will protect the slideout rooms of the fifth wheel. Also some privacy for the lawn chairs and barbecue
The lawn chairs and BBQ can be bought in the WM store. It's better to just buy them and return them at the end of your vacation to save weight. I would use that trailer to haul my golf cart. The cart would make it easier to visit other rv'rs who are dispersed in the campground/parking lot. The WM in Quakertown, Pa., has a bowling lane and some other stores in the complex which would be easier to reach with a cart.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #5114

The other side of the coin: http://www.walmartmovie.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #5115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Holly 'you know what.' First time I've seen a unit behind a fifth wheel. As for backing up, even a 'Jeep' behind my motor home is a 'Let's not even try.'

Tried that once, but had no choice ... $200.00 some to repair the damage to the tow assembly.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #5116

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Confessions of a Wal-Mart Hit Man
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
The 5'er and trailer are not tow dollies or toad.. They can be backed up.. Very, very carefully, but they can.
Correct. Because trailers do not have steerable wheels that can quickly cut to full lock when backing (the way a "toad" can), it is possible to back up a tandem rig. I've seen it done at truck stops, and I really am impressed with the driver's skills.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #5118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Jim,
Ya, you can 'back up' with a 5'er and trailer combo,... until you can 'see the trailer' in your mirror(s). That's about it!
Usually I can back (only if I really HAD to) 10' or 12'. I for sure am careful of where I stick my nose into than if only had the 5'er attached.

Than being said, it's not pulling a string around a corner. The axles provide 'pivot points'. Best way to explain it,... if the 5'er wheels doesn't run over, say a curb, (or a flowerbed) the second trailer will miss it too. The trailer doesn't 'track' any closer to the inside of the turn than the 5'er does.

As far as 'backing',... you can control the angled direction of the second trailer,... somewhat...! Sooner or later, the 'angle of the dangle' overpowers your ability,... and your gonna give it up.
Fortunately, I haven't gotten into a situation like that yet.
My advice would be, "if you don't KNOW that you can get around that building, you better get out and LOOK"!
GWinger
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #5119

Monaco Owners Club
When backing a trailer straight back and it strays into view of your mirror, steer towards it and it will straighten out, if second trailer comes into mirror view, steer towards the opposite mirror and it will straighten out. Just slight steering corrections if you over steer you will lose your line and have to pull forward and start over. No charge for this lesson
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #5120

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
The lawn chairs and BBQ can be bought in the WM store. It's better to just buy them and return them at the end of your vacation to save weight.
I hope that you weren't serious about this. Buying stuff to just use on your vacation and then just return to any store afterwards is unethical and leads to higher prices. In most cases the store can't sell the stuff as new, so it writes it off or discounts it. They make up this loss by passing it onto you and me in the form of higher prices.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #5121

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I hope that you weren't serious about this. Buying stuff to just use on your vacation and then just return to any store afterwards is unethical and leads to higher prices. In most cases the store can't sell the stuff as new, so it writes it off or discounts it. They make up this loss by passing it onto you and me in the form of higher prices.
Nitrohorse was kidding, of course, Mike. If you read this thread you'll see why Nitro made the comment.

How 'bout you, Mike, ever stay overnight at a WM? How was it? It can be a very comfortable, convenient stop on your travels. Sometimes there can even be entertaining fellow rv'ers.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #5122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
Nitrohorse was kidding, of course, Mike. If you read this thread you'll see why Nitro made the comment.
DANG! You mean I gotta keep all this crap?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #5123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
DANG! You mean I gotta keep all this crap?
BBQ, sleeping bags, tent, coffee pot, backpack, boots, Gortex coats, hitch carrier and shotgun... All 'on loan'
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #5124

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would never buy something for vacation and then return it! BUT I wish Walmart would not chain all the grills together. It is kind of a inconvenience to haul charcoal and meat up to where they have em set up at,besides I feel kinda silly drinking a cold one up there.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping