Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #519

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Heads UP!
Vero Beach, Florida

Wal-mart "No overnight parking" Posted & patrolled

Cracker Barrel - cars & pickups used the RV/Bus parking spots because they are closer to the door. This doesn't leave much chance of parking if you have a Toad. I've talked to the Manager and he says they have no way to enforce the parking of 4 wheelers in the RV/Bus spots.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #520

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmspoon View Post
We've used Wal-Mart lots several times while traveling. Only problem is finding them. Can anyone recommend a good source for Wal-Mart locations?
If you belong to FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) they advertise a road atlas that contains the locations of all Wal-marts within 1 mile of an Interstate Highway. I believe it is about $15 and has many other listings including campgrounds.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #521

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
If you belong to FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) they advertise a road atlas that contains the locations of all Wal-marts within 1 mile of an Interstate Highway. I believe it is about $15 and has many other listings including campgrounds.
I have an app on my iphone that gives the location of all of the Walmarts on a map that changes with your location.

The address and phone numbers are also included so you could call ahead for reservations

I believe that it was free on the app store.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
The next time you are in a Wal-Mart just pick up the Rand McNally US map and you have every Wal-Mart listed. If the listing also includes an exit number then that location is within a 1 of the exit. It only costs about $5.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #523

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't normally stay at WalMart but whenever we have we either call ahead or ask upon arrival if it's OK to park overnight. We appreciate them letting us stay and always pay back by doing some shopping. It makes things pretty convenient. We never use any rest areas as I feel these are for the truck drivers. We choose to stay mostly at Flying J's as they are open 24/7 and to us we just feel a bit more secure. Not that WalMart doesn't have security but I guess it's just a personal thing. Never have tried to look like we're homesteading as the slides stay in and we're just there for the overnight. Also try to find a good curb spot and point the generator exhaust away from any units around us. Enjoy everyone and see ya down the road.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #524

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Did you call the slideout police??????
No, I didn't as I am a Walmart overnight parker also....however this RV has been there for several days, I know this because I went back to the store as I needed something, (seems as if I am at WM every other day!)

The point is, staying in WM for 3-4 days is not overnight parking, it is camping, and while I personally don't give a rat's patoot, if someone camps at WM, I know this camping activity is what fuels the anti- WM parking arguments on the "other side of the aisle".

ANd I like the convinience of using WM parking lots for an overnight "park" so I can get 40 winks and continue my journey to real camping adventures like this......

Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #525

Is that a blue and white tent set up on the hillside?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #526

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
yes,
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #527

Walmart can do as walmart wishes. I am sure they know who parks in the lots. And how long they stay. I do not think anyone should use walmart as a campground. That is a personal opinion. However if walmart isn't sending out one of the employee's to tell the RV'r to move along. So be it. Walmart is all about saving money.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #528

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yipee!!!!

We left Cincinnati early this morning on our way back to Texas and driving by the "rally site" in Louisville it was hard to tell the difference in the asphalt rally grounds and what a Wal Mart parking lot could be until I decided to go cheap tonight and pulled into a nice Wal*Mart/Sam's location in Memphis.

I went inside, picked up some coffee filters and asked Eva, the on duty manager, about spending the night in her parking lot. Well now sir, you don't want to just park in the parking lot she said, you need to drive over to the far west side so you will have room to extend your "bedroom" slide and of course have the afternoon shade with those nice oaks we left. This lady is not only a Wal*Mart manager but also a hospitality queen.

All that being said, we have shade and the closest vehicle to us is maybe 30 yards. The rally grounds allow maybe 5 feet between slides but then of course Eva said only the bedroom slide could be extended so that is a downside yet it only cost me (so far) $3.19 for the filters.

If passing through Memphis stop and visit with Eva, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #529
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cheapskate!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #530

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rumor:
Wal*Mart has checked into providing basic RV hookups for a few RV sites (Water/electric) at each of their stores. Dono what the cost would be..
Maybe $10/night, limit 3 nights

They know anyone staying at the store will purchase some goods which could total $100-200 or more.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #531

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Rumor:
Wal*Mart has checked into providing basic RV hookups for a few RV sites (Water/electric) at each of their stores. Dono what the cost would be..
Maybe $10/night, limit 3 nights

They know anyone staying at the store will purchase some goods which could total $100-200 or more.
Are they taking RESERVATIONS yet????: laugh:
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #532

Door to the Store!

"Door to the Store" When parking overnight at any Wal Mart or other store parking lot. If you park on the dark side, crooks could watch you when you go to the store or leave for other reasons. The dark side would be out of view of cameras and patrons, the crooks could see you returning from the store and run.
"No road side rest stops" Reason: So many transients coming and going and drug deals and other illegal activties make this a dangerous place to stop.
My two cents on safety.
Larry Geese

Tags
camping