Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #5559

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
There are some businesses that have seen the light. While looking at CG reviews in the SouthWest, there was mention of a few "No Frills" places with 30 amp electric only for 10 or 12 bucks a night. They were basic dirt or gravel areas located behind existing motels.
Around 2004 I had to take my MH to Nappanee for work the dealer couldn't do, on the way back I passed one such place right next to the freeway. Don't remember what road I was on but had I been looking for a spot for the night I might have stopped. As it was I wanted to get home after being gone 3+ weeks so I was driving 16 hrs a day and catching food and naps at Wal*Marts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #5560

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
We pulled into a Walmart late at night that had 'no parking ordinance' signs posted but there were several Rvs parked for the night. We joined them but at 3 am we were all evicted by the police.
Did you ask the "3 am knocker" to step in front of the motorhome and display his credentials so that you could be sure he was a LEO?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #5561

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Almost all rest areas in Kansas have free dump stations and free water year round. That is very handy as we can dump and recharge the water on our way to the next Walmart campground. They say there is a Walmart within 30 minutes of 95% of the us population. This is by design. Ol Sam had a dream, and look what he built.
The State of CT offers *at least* 2 free dump stations - 1 in Danbury off of RT 84, and one in Southington off of RT 84 - we use them every time we're heading in or out of home base.

CT also allows overnight parking at rest areas for RV's and some of the rest area's are pretty large and decent with picnic areas as well as information/bathroom houses ... and in most of the rest areas, Tractor Trailers have their own places to park away from the RV's so you don't have to hear them coming and going all night.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #5562

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've overnighted - sort of - in the Walmart in Richmond, VA ..us and about 100 other motohomes and campers were there for the night before the NASCAR race. We got their really late, probably about 1am and after making a little dinner and yes, putting out the slides so we had some room in the living and bedroom area, went to sleep for only a few hours.

I woke up at about 6:15am and the place was EMPTY. Everyone was already on their way to the track to get the best camping spots they could. I quickly woke up the DW, closed up the slides and we high tailed it outta' there in hopes that we wouldn't be too far back in the line.

We ended up being the first RV in line at Lot J and got there about 5 hours before the lot opened. I just pulled up to the gate and parked,and crashed on the couch for a nap ... about 30 minutes later I got a knock on the door from a State Trooper on duty for the race weekend asking what we were doing there?

Duh! (No I didn't say that) ... we were waiting for the campground to open. He called in to the track and we finally got "permission" to wait at the gate. Well that's a good thing since Motorhomes and Campers started lining up behind us while he was calling in. By 9am, there were dozens of other RV'ers lined up behind us waiting for the campground to open.

We were the first one's in the campground that weekend, and got the best spot .. but we were also the first ones that got stuck in the mud! It rained something fierce the days leading up to the race weekend, and within an hour, there were dozens of motorhomes, campers, fifth wheels and tag axles stuck in the muddy grass. The race track called in the troops and had about 1/2 dozen small to HUGE tow trucks pulling people out and into their spots ... all at NO cost to the campers!

It doesn't take much wet ground to get a 12 Ton motorhome stuck! There was no way we were getting out of this relatively minor hole without some help.

And yes, the 4x4 towing the fifth wheel was stuck AND the tag axle in the background, yeah they got stuck too. The track had to call in a triple axle monster rig to pull them out!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #5563

Ok, I put my med bottles at the base of my monitor.

The major reason for Walmart RV prohibition is Corporate Greed of the camp ground owners and the greed of the local municipalities for generous donations for passing such ordinances.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #5564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I'm supposed to be taking the OTC heartburn med Ranitidine or Famotidine every day, but sometimes forget. I get it at Sam's or Walmart.
If you were parked at Walmart.......
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #5565

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay
Walmart-Do-Drop-In or The Walmart Inn as I call Walmart. I ALWAYS stop there for the night on my way to wherever we're going. Reason being, I don't have to go hunting for a CG and then wait to be waited on, or be told "we're full". I don't have to pay for services that I won't use, and since my RV is fully contained I don't need services while I sleep. Walmart security is good enough for me. I realize everyone needs to make a living, and CG owners should really reconsider their situation. If they are located close to the freeways then advertise a speacial rate for "RVers Passing Through" and understand, we simply are tired and want to pull in, make ourselves a bite to eat and cleanup and go to sleep and wake up refreshed to pull out early in the morning. We don't need a pool, weight room or games. If a CG offered a nights stay for $5 that includes sewer dump/water refill I bet a lot of us would stop for the night and gladly pay if we needed that service. But to plain be upset that Walmart is taking their business is wrong. Look at it positve, offer us what Walmart does... free boondock parking, if we want any service charge a REASONEABLE fee for each. I would bet CG owners would see an increase in business. As a business owner of a Marketing company I see so many business owners that run seasonal business trying to make a years income during the season... they OVERLOOK what they THINK is pocket change, but pocket change adds up people!!!! Mr CG Owner: Offer me a $5 night to dump my RV and fill water and I will stay a night at your place, allow me to add Electricity for $5 and you'll make $10 on your space! Be greedy and hold out for $30 and earn nothing... sorry to be blunt but Cennex offers a FREE DUMP without even filling fuel.
I think if you were willing to spend as much at a campground store as you do at Walmart, they may take you up on your offer. $5 to dump AND fill your 90 gallon tank with water? I think $15 is much more reasonable, and maybe an after 8pm check-in.

I own a cafe, and my costs went up 25% this year alone. In two years a total of 40%. Campgrounds are local business. They do not have the buying power of a Walmart to entice you with artificially low prices on some things hoping that you will spend more on other services. I spent $4000 on a patio, and we have people trying to buy their $5 footlong at the subway and come over and use my patio. I kind of know what the local campground owners are feeling when they drive by a Walmart at 5pm and see 10 RVs parked there with slides out.

State parks mostly charge $25 and that is only because they are subsidized by the taxpayers of that state.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #5566

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Did you ask the "3 am knocker" to step in front of the motorhome and display his credentials so that you could be sure he was a LEO?
We pulled in to the Walmart late and noticed the prohibitive signs but many Rvs were parked for the night regardless so I went in and asked. A girl at the customer desk told me she didn't think the ordinance was enforced so I parked.

The LEO didn't get a chance to knock on our door as I was already awake and went out to talk to him. He had to wake everyone up one at a time. He had a police car and was in full uniform, I felt safe.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #5567

Who would have called at 2-3AM? A CG owner, stocking up on goodies, that he's going to over-charge people for at his CG store?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #5568

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Who would have called at 2-3AM? A CG owner, stocking up on goodies, that he's going to over-charge people for at his CG store?
The officer told me they only come when they get the call and it usually comes in the middle of the night. My guess is a passing cg owner or maybe someone from this forum hmmmm.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #5569

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #5570

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, I'm sure we have many Wally World police lurking out here
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #5571

Yeah, that is far fetched. After all, there are only 99,504 World wide members on irv2 and that's not counting Guests.

Gotta make a trip to WM today to stock up for the season. Gotta get some of that "RV" TP.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #5572

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Yeah, that is far fetched. After all, there are only 99,504 World wide members on irv2 and that's not counting Guests.

Gotta make a trip to WM today to stock up for the season. Gotta get some of that "RV" TP.
Whatever happened to the supply of J C Penny catalogs we used to use? Hmmmmm???? I thought you was tuff?

BTW how far is it from your house to the Maricopa Live Steamers track or to the Scottsdale Live steamers track? If the Wallydocking facility is too far away from these places maybe we'll park in your driveway for the month. Thanks ol' buddy.

Tags
camping