Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #5755

Monaco Owners Club
CAMPING, not "parking" at WAL MART - YouTube

This video in my opinion portrays the typical Walmart police mentality. Pushing there views down our throats for personal gain. New Rvers were not born yesterday. They can make up their own minds as to where and how to park their Rvs. There is no abuse portrayed in the video but there will always be some that will complain.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #5756

Like I said before, the abusers who push the BBQ'ing, awnings, circling the wagons and other practices that lose the privilege for everybody are a lost cause. They will continue to do the things that hurt the rest of us. Seems to be a point of honor. I am trying to stop them from having the new folks think by doing theses obvious camping practices, they are not hastening the closure of more stores. A quick glance at Allstays will show how many places we have lost it. It doesn't take much to realize that flaunting this in front of local politicians, zoners, and local campground owners only hurts our common goal. Helping others isn't hard, it just makes sense. Most of us do it.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #5757

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Like I said before, the abusers who push the BBQ'ing, awnings, circling the wagons and other practices that lose the privilege for everybody are a lost cause. They will continue to do the things that hurt the rest of us. Seems to be a point of honor. I am trying to stop them from having the new folks think by doing theses obvious camping practices, they are not hastening the closure of more stores. A quick glance at Allstays will show how many places we have lost it. It doesn't take much to realize that flaunting this in front of local politicians, zoners, and local campground owners only hurts our common goal. Helping others isn't hard, it just makes sense. Most of us do it.

What about slides lawn turf, lawn chairs. gennys. Walmart police generally assume that what ever they do is the right thing. IE if the Walmart police use their slides they will contend that slides are fine and everything else is wrong... get it? they make their own rules..

ps I doubt Walmart stores are closing as a result of the so called Rv abuse....... me thinks you meant a reference to the parking ordinances.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #5758

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
CAMPING, not "parking" at WAL MART - YouTube

This video in my opinion portrays the typical Walmart police mentality. Pushing there views down our throats for personal gain. New Rvers were not born yesterday. They can make up their own minds as to where and how to park their Rvs. There is no abuse portrayed in the video but there will always be some that will complain.
And where, exactly, is the "personal gain"? I, for one, could use a little personal gain so please share so we can all benefit.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5759

Look the many different camper organization's Etiquette recommendations have been posted on this thread numerous times and are widely available on the internet. Look it up. The basic principle is to look like parking overnight not like a campground. Rather than firing off another quick question about things already here, just look it up and then spend few minutes thinking it through. I don't like stupid politicians making these rules and fought it hard when it happen in my town. We had a regular Wal-Mart move about a mile and changed into a Superstore, but into a new town (Mount Dora, FL) and after these abuses were seen by a little idiot city council member, they passed an ordinance banning overnighting. None of our arguments made a difference with these idiots. When I see folks telling new RV'ers to do these practices, I see this happening all over again elsewhere. It does happen and your blatant practices can have an affect. Just saw above a newbee talking about grilling being OK. DUH We are losing the privilege time after time and you are telling folks it doesn't matter. It does. Think things through.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #5760

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Another night well rested , sitting at my laptop eating my Goldenpuffs, listening to the generator purr as it puts some charge back in the battery (after running my microwave and toaster) and reading the Walmart thread .

In a little bit, I'll be outside fishing out the air compressor to pump the passenger side air bag back up (it's developed an annoying leak), run the jacks back up that kept the camper from swaying side to side all night in the wind, and heading in to the store to buy some undershirts and a new tube of chapstick.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #5761

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lindsey, it's a losing battle, if all one has in life is a trailer it makes them feel more important to act like they own a WM
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #5762

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have only had the awning out at a Walmart once. It was here in Port Alberni and it was for the benefit of someone else. The local Navy League Cadets had a fund raiser scheduled for the day at Wally World and as its prone to do here in the spring and fall it was pouring rain.

Three of us went home to get our units and parked in a U shape (awnings toward each other) and set up and then stretched a huge $100.00 tarp, dutifully purchased from said Walmart, over the three units to make as big a display area as possible.

The cadets got to do their demonstration of learned activities and the people who chose to stay and watch were kept dry. The fund raiser was a big success and no one was harmed by our activities; in fact the Walmart got favorable press for allowing us to set up in that way.

There were a lot of mothers in the area who were very pleased their kids did not return soaking wet and cold. The local manager is a gem and allows all kinds of activities to happen on the problem that are beneficial to the area.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #5763

Monaco Owners Club
Possum if the Walmart police had their way, you would have parked single file, awnings and slides in and had a bunch of wet kids but Walmart was cool with it and that trumps the Walmart police, the FMCA and any other self serving organization.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #5764

Guess you didn't take my advise and look up on Allstays and see how many Wal-Marts are taking away our privilege of overnighting. Congratulations your way is working. [moderator edit ]
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #5765

As I've said before, Allstays says the two Walmarts near me do not allow overnight parking, but almost every time I go buy them, there are RVs "parking" there.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #5766

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our local WalMart has no overnight signs posted but I saw 3 TT's (no tow vehicle attached) and 2 MH's parked there today. I never go by there at night so I don't know if they enforce the no overnight parking. By the way, the local police force asked for the no overnight parking ordinance. They said it was due to criminal activity.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #5767

Allstays uses the terms Ask to Park and No Overnights (Different colors on their maps)

I have seen the same thing myself. Probably somebody who thinks they have a "right" to stay there. Maybe they just get tired of running the take advantage types off. They can be very persistent you know. I have read about the store it self being fined which seems wrong, but dealing with local laws, you never know. If I was a manager, I would worry a lots less about the minor business from overnighters who will be gone tomorrow compared to the relationship with the town which is always there and has a lot of power over me and my business.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #5768

Monaco Owners Club
Most Walmarts that do not allow overnighting have city ordinances which means the city is banning the practice and we know who is usually behind that. It has nothing to do with how we park. The only ones who notice if our slides are out ( or other items) are other Rvers. The general public couldn't care less.

Tags
camping